Bonnet panel gap

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Gfhug
Great Britain

#1 Bonnet panel gap

Post by Gfhug » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:21 pm

The S1 cars show a panel gap between the centre and side panels below the headlights, but the later cars with open headlights have this filled in.
Does anyone know the reason why?
Do any restorers leave the gap open on the later cars?

An open gap lets the sections be fully painted before assembly, but if the gap is filled the bonnet must be painted after assembly.
Any thoughts or comments would be interesting to read.

Edited to say that of course the bonnet must be assembled before painting to check the fit to the car. :oops:
Silly question but the above questions about why the gap is seen or not still stand.

Thanks

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#2 Re: Bonnet panel gap

Post by angelw » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:48 am

Geoff Wrote:
The S1 cars show a panel gap between the centre and side panels below the headlights, but the later cars with open headlights have this filled in.
Does anyone know the reason why?
Do any restorers leave the gap open on the later cars?

An open gap lets the sections be fully painted before assembly, but if the gap is filled the bonnet must be painted after assembly.
Any thoughts or comments would be interesting to read.
Hello Geoff,
I suspect that it was a case of expediency when the change to open headlights and the narrow chrome moulding surround came about.

I operate an E Type restoration business in Australia and unless otherwise instructed, complete the restoration true to how the car left the factory, but with a much better build quality.

In the factory, this join was merely filled over with lead. I've seen some restored cars that have had this joint brazed and then filled, but once the joint is brazed, it's a cow of a job if for some reason the wings have to be removed.

When we fill this area, we thoroughly clean the two flanges through which the bolts pass, tin the surfaces using 50/50 solder, assemble the bonnet and ensure a correct fit, then run 50/50 solder into the joint. When completed, the whole area is cleaned of all traces of soldering flux, before metal prepping and priming. This is a better process than just lead wiping over the joint.

On the occasions when the instruction is to leave the joint unfilled, seam sealer is applied prior to paint. Tomorrow, I can Post a picture showing how this looks.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Gfhug
Great Britain

#3 Re: Bonnet panel gap

Post by Gfhug » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:27 am

Bill

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply.

I'm having to do some remedial work on the bonnet and it's growing like Topsy. That is how the question of the panel gap below the headlight came along.
I can re-paint the centre and wings separately as the bonnet already fits the car and that'll be an easier job for me.
It was how to tackle the join that is leaving me thinking how best to do it, but it'll be a month before that needs to be dealt with. I'm just hoping it hasn't been brazed as I've already found the diaphragm stiffeners were spot welded at each end and then some awful, chewing gum like gunk put along the rest of it.
And the whole of the wheel arch area covered in stone-chip or similar including in the gap between the panels which have rust all along hence needing to separate and clean the rust away!!

Thanks again

Geoff
Last edited by Gfhug on Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#4 Re: Bonnet panel gap

Post by christopher storey » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:28 am

Geoff : my S1 has the seam filled, as on top of the wing, with a short chrome bead . Or have I misunderstood the location you are referring to?
Last edited by christopher storey on Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#5 Re: Bonnet panel gap

Post by christopher storey » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:31 am

Geoff : my S1 has the seam filled, as on top of the wing, with a short chrome bead . Or have I misunderstood the location you are referring to?

PS the strips, 2 per car, are BD19029/2 - the main strips are 19029/1
Last edited by christopher storey on Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Gfhug
Great Britain

#6 Re: Bonnet panel gap

Post by Gfhug » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:40 am

Hello Christopher

It's the gap below the headlight I'm referring to. On early cars you can see the join or piece of chrome, but is the chrome there on all early cars?

Regards

Geoff

Sorry I've been editing this whilst you were responding
Last edited by Gfhug on Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#7 Re: Bonnet panel gap

Post by christopher storey » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:44 am

Geoff - see my PS re the part numbers. I don't however, know whether this applies to 3.8 bonnets, but I can see no reason why you cannot use the strips on 3.8, which obviate the neceessity of filling the gap

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Gfhug
Great Britain

#8 Re: Bonnet panel gap

Post by Gfhug » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:52 am

I can see what was looking like a gap in some (poor) photos is actually that short chrome strip. That now helps to explain one thing and Bill has nicely explained the change.

Thank you Christopher and Bill

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#9 Re: Bonnet panel gap

Post by angelw » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:12 am

Geoff Wrote:
I can re-paint the centre and wings separately as the bonnet already fits the car and that'll be an easier job for me.
Hello Geoff,
A caution with regards to painting the components of the bonnet separately and then assembling post painting; its quite easy to pull dents into the top surfaces of the wings and bonnet centre section, close to the joint between them.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robsan
Great Britain

#10 Re: Bonnet panel gap

Post by Robsan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:26 am

Looks like the chrome strip was there from the early 3.8 stage.............http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2006

btw your experiance of the chewing gum stuff on the diaphragms, and wheel wells with stone chipis similar to mine

I now believe the chewing gum stuff was in fact the bonding glue that fixes the supporting flanges to the bonnet/ wings

and the stone chip stuff [ complete with small gravel chippings] was tar etc thrown up from a freshly treated road surface in North America, from where my car originates

On my car I have removed all the gunge from the undeath of bonnet, so now left with original paint and undercoat in wheel wells. I havenet stripped the wings away, but will at that stage remove the welding and refit with the small chrome strip..............

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Gfhug
Great Britain

#11 Re: Bonnet panel gap

Post by Gfhug » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:19 pm

Having now taken the wings panels off mine were lead loaded at the front joint, but doubt it was original as the spacer washers between the sections are only 1.6mm (or 1/16”) thick.
Now getting very frustrated by the last couple of bolts holding the lower panel to the centre section :banghead: almost feel like taking an angle grinder to the *@#+* thing, except for the extra repairs that would need.
Hopefully a new Dremel will cut through them, grrr!

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic