Spares Day ???

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

#1 Spares Day ???

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:44 pm

Hi read a few reports on the socials that spares day this year / to day is a ???? Bit pants
Anyone from here gone what was it like , hands up didn't go myself , as the last two in Stoneleigh were very much down on what they used to be , and also another hour or so extra drive , will be such a shame if this event goes but I think covid may of killed it ,
Who remember s Farnham maltings that was a good event too that sadly is no more :roll:
Its a way of life not a hobby
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

265bhp
Great Britain

#2 Re: Spares Day ???

Post by 265bhp » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:10 pm

Hi all
I went today and having booked my ticket online paid the normal £10 not £15 which some had to as they paid on the day

I would say it was reasonably well attended, certainly not packed and certain suppliers, such as Coventry Auto Components for the XK world And Automec for brake parts were not there

SNG Barratt seem to be there, but in a slightly more low-key way

Interesting that as I was looking for XK120 parts, it felt as though the event was more biased towards the E Type world, whether that’s always been the case I don’t know because this time round I wasn’t looking for E Type parts….?

I just fancied going to do something on the Sunday morning to be honest and the drive for me was similar and different…(I could drive the M40 blindfold having used it so much)

As I spoke to;

- Auto Sparks and have now got 10% of the new wiring loom
- Blockley tyres for a really interesting and informative chat, which is helping me to potentially get a good deal on new wheels for the XK
-Graham at GB Trim, which was useful because I dropped off my old E Type carpet set which I cut exactly the right size which he will re-trim (thereby saving myself some of the postage)
- Stevson from whom I bought a whole load of brake pipe fittings who were much cheaper than Automec, who I would’ve dealt with online

I would say that I certainly came away quids in, and had a good rummage around as well

Jonathan
1963 3.8 FHC ..now finished …………….
1974 2.7 Carrera now as an RS Touring

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

caveman
Great Britain

#3 Re: Spares Day ???

Post by caveman » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:50 pm

Graham at GB Trim really nice guy to deal with and very generous when I was completing my dash trim job. :salute:
Steve
1965 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Fuel.inj
Wales

#4 Re: Spares Day ???

Post by Fuel.inj » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:03 pm

I found the event reasonably good to be honest. Bought some bits and pieces as you do to fill up the shelves. My mate needed a sump for a Mk 2 and picked a NOS item for £50…….bargains are still to be had! It’s like all these events they are only as good if you manage to pick up the very items you require. Would I go again? most probably Yes.
Paul.
1971 S2 FHC (Opalescent Blue)
1990 Mercedes Benz 260E
1972 Saab 96 V4
A number of Nortons.
1939 Triumph T100

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#5 Re: Spares Day ???

Post by Gfhug » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:44 pm

I bought a few bits and had a useful catch up with one or two suppliers with good suggestions for next purchases. Certainly some stall holders were saying that Stoneleigh was getting very expensive, especially since the move to heated halls. I felt that one or two dealers were selling items at higher prices than buying new if you take into account the cost of getting it re-chromed.
Would I go again? Well when I’m ready to buy certain things that get good show discounts then definitely. And I only found out the amount of discount by visiting and chatting to them.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SimonBrown
Great Britain

#6 Re: Spares Day ???

Post by SimonBrown » Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:43 pm

Hi All,
I thought it a bit too spread out and certainly not worth a £15 entrance fee. I did manage to buy a couple of bits from E Type Spares Ltd, really helpful, but feel this event has gone steadily downhill over the past few years.
A shame really, but I probably won’t go again.
Simon
Simon Brown
1969 S2 OTS
1998 XK8 Coupe
2008 Mazda MX-5 2.0 Icon
1991 Mini Cooper 1.3i
1975 Honda 400 Four

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#7 Re: Spares Day ???

Post by mgcjag » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:20 pm

Just for info the JDC issued their annual statement for last year........the 2 spares day events made a loss of £6889.....due to Stonleigh sharpely increasing their prices and lack of attendance........Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Fspp369
Great Britain

#8 Re: Spares Day ???

Post by Fspp369 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:45 pm

As a pair of S3 owners we frequently do the autojumbles and spares days together, this year was no different.
We arrived in good time and as blue badge holders we were directed “around the back by the cafe)”. On our way there we saw an elderly chap pushing a wheelchair across the rough grass making towards the entrance hut.
Why the disabled parking was where it was is a good question as it was inappropriate to say the least.

When we arrived at the “ticket checking hut” and displayed our £10 tickets “Oh straight on, through the doors” we were told, only to be followed from the opposite direction by some guys who had not bothered to buy tickets. Several other people entered by the doors at the end of the sheds, after coming from the car parks past the cafe, straight into the event….bit of a chizz !!!

It was a poorly attended event in our opinion, both with stall holders and buyers; there were many vacant stall places marked out but empty. When asking about an item on the SNGB stall we were told “sorry no idea, you’ll have to ring the office” Mmmmm?..

Prices for used and in some cases very used parts were very high.

We both resolved not to bother again, unless we want fresh nougat!!!!
Spares day seems to be a day to print money these days….if you’re selling.
Peter {XKE V12HE efi}
XKRS
RR Phantom 3 1937 Sedanca de Ville.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

inner pickle
Great Britain

#9 Re: Spares Day ???

Post by inner pickle » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:37 pm

As mentioned, yes, The Maltings at Farnham, those were the days !! Long gone I'm afraid.

I think I'd already mentioned a trader at last Autumns Stoneleigh stating to others he was selling up and had no intention of doing the Malvern Show. For me the Malvern Show held no appeal or journey time enthusiasm, hence didn't bother.

Considering I've usually attended the Stoneleigh show twice a year for the last 15-20 years, bought cars there, sold cars there and spent more than I should on many occasions I think I could say I was a regular attendee.

Sadly a lot of the smaller traders over the years have gone, those selling consumables probably can't make it pay. Do you remember "Perry" I think he traded as, selling gaskets and pre-packed nuts and bolts, ......a long while since I last saw them, or the likes of them, at the show.

Moving on, I'm off to the NEC Restoration Show and asked a well known company who are sorting my e type out if I'd see them there? They usually hold a reasonable size stand, nothing over fancy but in old money some 30'x15'......cost? £25,000.

So, to answer some of the questions about stand uptake, if Stoneleigh is anything other providers, there's your answer. In short, both Farnham and Stoneleigh in "the old days" had a kind of homespun, amateurish feel about them. No room for that now.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Maikel
Germany

#10 Re: Spares Day ???

Post by Maikel » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:01 pm

Good day,
took me some time to post the video. Sorry for the delay, but you might still be interested to see it to make up your own mind. There are always good deals, bargains. I do not care about the entrance fee or fuel cost, the money I am saving on parts even pays for the dinner with friends. Plus I find parts you can not order anywhere, plus you catch up with other enthusiasts, plus ....., plus ..... plus...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#11 Re: Spares Day ???

Post by mgcjag » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:08 pm

Hi Maikel....great video......good to meet up with you again...it was a good day.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paydase
Belgium

#12 Re: Spares Day ???

Post by paydase » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:13 pm

Maikel, thank you for the video.
Gives a good hint of what it is and what spares can be found.
Serge
1964 (3.8) FHC
1961 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic