Goodwood's 75th.

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
chrisfell
St Lucia

#1 Goodwood's 75th.

Post by chrisfell » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:39 pm

Goodwood’s 75th anniversary continues, this weekend with the 30th Festival of Speed - which is the event which sparked the renaissance of motorsport at Goodwood. Yesterday was the first open day, with cars being set up for practice runs up the hill, and all of the exhibitors getting ready for a busy weekend. Yesterday was also free for those of us who are Goodwood supporters and members of the Goodwood Road Racing Club.

75 years is a theme this year with Porsche and Lotus both making a 75th anniversary splash at this year’s event. And if you are going to make a splash, do it like this…

Here are some other things I saw.
Some people fit low profile tyres, but this is a new one on me…

The very small letters embossed on the sidewall indicate this tyre is a 275/25ZR26. Yup 25% profile and 26" rim diameter. I’ve seen cars with thicker paint!
If that wasn’t ridiculous…

I mean, just how low can you get?

Fanfare - E-Type content.

These two cars were being ‘displayed’ along with others, by being driven sedately up the hill. Here they are waiting to be sent to the start line. On the side of each one is a badge which states Project ZP. Hmmm!
I didn’t know this but Project ZP was Jaguar’s first try at putting E-Types on the race track. Seven cars were allocated to three established teams and one Gentleman Racer. The teams had two cars each, one to race, one for spares. We have all seen pictures of ECD400 (850005), one of these cars and the first one to win a race with Graham Hill at the pedals. Two were given to Peter Berry 3BXV (850010) and 4BXV (850013). The latter of these was the ‘spares’ car and was for some while owned and used by John Burton. Another of these cars was 4WPD (850006), again raced by Graham Hill. Later in 1961 it was re-bodied with a serious weight reduction of 230lbs. It was also given an aluminium bonnet. This same car, in 1963 was again re-bodied (and re-engined and re- quite-a-lot-of-things) as the first true lightweight.

However, the two cars pictured here are not the real Project ZP cars. They are facsimiles or pastiches. The roadster is a restored 1963 car, the coupe a similar early car restored. Both the roadster and coupe are fitted to a similar state these early steel bodied racing cars had - more powerful engine, competition wheels, etc. I spoke with one of the drivers. The cars are also fitted with five speed gearboxes, ‘blue teeth’ to eat your phone calls, SatNav DAB radio, electronic ignition and a polished stainless steel exhaust. I didn’t challenge him with the fact that the seven racing cars were all roadsters. And they are for sale as a pair. I didn’t ask, but it was obvious to the driver I needed to know, that they wanted £960k for the pair. I imagine they will be for sale for some while. These Project ZP recreations are the product of Jaguar itself - Jaguar Classic. Seven pairs of cars are to be produced. Good luck with that!

Lastly,
Colin Chapman designed the Lotus 7 to be the least metal required to turn an engine and gearbox into a functioning car. Lightness added to the extreme. The clowns at Caterham have only gone and added half a tonne of battery pack to one! No, just NO!
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Goodwood's 75th.

Post by mgcjag » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:47 pm

Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
chrisfell
St Lucia

#3 Re: Goodwood's 75th.

Post by chrisfell » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:54 pm

I thought I had a scoop, but I hadn't been paying attention.

They are still pastiches.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

44DHR
Great Britain

#4 Re: Goodwood's 75th.

Post by 44DHR » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:41 am

Sad news that the Goodwood Festival of Speed is cancelled for today - Saturday.
Regards,
Dave
Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dlgis
Great Britain

#5 Re: Goodwood's 75th.

Post by dlgis » Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:36 pm

44DHR wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:41 am
Sad news that the Goodwood Festival of Speed is cancelled for today - Saturday.
Regards,
Dave
Indeed, and there was me thinking i’d chosen the wrong day on rainy Friday 😮
Darryl
1964 S1 FHC 3.8 opalescent maroon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#6 Re: Goodwood's 75th.

Post by Heuer » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:02 pm

Whoops!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

44DHR
Great Britain

#7 Re: Goodwood's 75th.

Post by 44DHR » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:15 pm

First off, Chris thanks for the update at #1 and I personally agree about the “pastiches” which Jaguar Classic are producing to a market of potential people with unlimited pockets. We have our “original” cars and share a particular passion which perhaps that market would never relate to.
Secondly, as an old - literally - Hot Rodder, the passion for creating low riders is something us UK readers of US magazines in the 1980s/1990s etc could only dream of. Now, we can buy off the shelf hydraulic systems which your second photo shows at rest, yet when it’s time to drive, up the car is risen to a drive height. It’s not even Hot Rods, but even some of our more sporting cars we use these systems to negotiate our modern challenging road surfaces and traffic calming measures.

My main comment is about the Goodwood reasoning to cancel Saturday’s event due weather reasons. I fully understand the “Health and Safety” world we live in, but the initial information we received the night before, (Friday evening), as a Goodwood Member, (I’m 20 Year GRRC Medal Member), was due the dangers of the structures and large impressive temporary structures - most probably housing well paying corporate “partners” potentially causing problems to the paying public. Is there a danger we are moving away from enthusiasts enjoying a motoring event - we are talking of tens of thousands of people paying a sizeable price for tickets, very expensive local accommodation - plus some of us travelling via ferries and aircraft overseas - to having events cancelled where perhaps the very structures in retrospective hindsight - knowing full well the accurate forecasts we now have - could have been reduced in height, strapped down, or even removed to enable the true spirit of the event to continue ?
Discuss !
Regards,
Dave
Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#8 Re: Goodwood's 75th.

Post by Gfhug » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:24 pm

Discuss? I’ve long felt that us mere mortals spend lots of our hard earned money to fund lord snooty and his pals playing with their toys. As enjoyable as the events are they have become too much of a social event to be seen at rather than a true motor sport gathering. It’s a bit like seeing all the empty seats at Wimbledon with the corporate hospitality block booking them and their guests preferring to watch from the comfort of the dining rooms.

Yes, I may go again but find Silverstone Classic something I do go to out of preference.

My tuppence worth.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#9 Re: Goodwood's 75th.

Post by DWW » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:34 am

Danny

1962 S1 3.8 FHC (1012/1798)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dlgis
Great Britain

#10 Re: Goodwood's 75th.

Post by dlgis » Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:25 pm

Heuer wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:02 pm
Whoops!
Should have bought a Citroen DS 😆
Darryl
1964 S1 FHC 3.8 opalescent maroon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SEJohnson95
Great Britain

#11 Re: Goodwood's 75th.

Post by SEJohnson95 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:34 pm

My mate and I were meant to be at Goodwood yesterday and we felt a mixture of emotions about the whole affair really.

Having driven down from Derbyshire to stay with him in Southampton on Friday for everything to be cancelled last minute was quite frustrating. That was possibly one of the worst car journeys I've had, visibility was awful, driving standards from everyone else even worse, 4 hours later I arrive knackered. The return journey this morning took 2 and a half!

Frustration, anger at the situation for not being able to go today instead (yes, it was all sold out and it does seem unfortunate the way it's all gone) but then when we realised it was all to do with the temporary structures and not the on-track / hillclimb action, it made us even more annoyed.

We did have a lovely day at Beaulieu (as did most of the other FoS-goers who invaded the place) but we all had a feeling we'd be a little done over when the weather wasn't THAT bad throughout the day. The heavy rain arrived (albeit briefly) late afternoon as we concluded our whistle-stop tour of the New Forest. The high winds came much later in the day for us when we got back to Southampton for dinner, but we could still go out for a pretty breezy walk along the front.

Thankfully no flights/expensive hotels this time for us, but it still felt like a waste of a weekend and a trip to the south coast ending in mostly disappointment.
Simon Johnson
Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Nottingham
E-type Club magazine contributor
Chasing the dream of a S1 4.2 OTS, but plan on getting an E ASAP!
Lucky passenger in a 1962 FHC - See restoration thread

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic