Talk about E-Types here

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#41 Re: Parts quality!?

Post by Heuer » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:44 pm

Maikel wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:14 pm

I am not an administrator here but I could imagine if we have at least 10 people wanting such a chapter, David (have taken Steve out as he is a moderator), could install it and we could all upload our faulty parts. How is that idea? It is not to blame the supplier, but to avoid frustration for everyone of us. Or you send me your parts and I will make a Youtube video of it every now and then.
Let me know, I will be at Jaguar Spares Day (as always), so bring your parts and story along.
Maikel
No objection to having such a topic if it helps the community and does not become a vendor bashing thread. I will give it some thought and report back.

You need to consider what is involved in producing a reproduction part. Many are made by external contractors, as was the case in period, whilst others are made in-house These are all copies of good or NOS parts as Jaguar has not released the original specifications nor does it produce its own items. Where moulds are available they will be worn out by now causing variations in size, particularly true of body panels. For some parts (e.g. the odometer reset cable and clock adjuster) the skills in producing them is dwindling - last time I asked there is only one 80 year old who can make them and he is no longer able to do more than a couple a week, maybe none by now.

Reproduction parts are never going to be as good as pattern parts and the development process to design, test and produce them runs to many many months (ask Angus!). With the E-Type having 4,000+ parts it would take many many years to review them all, redesign and find manufacturers willing or able to make what is, by most standards, a small run. Issues with the oil cannister gasket are caused when the only suppliers willing to tender are China based and they are 100% metric which causes rounding errors in sizes.

Perhaps with 3D scanning and printing the development process will be shortened.

I have a huge amount of time and praise for SNGB and the work Julian has put in to improve the quality of fit of parts and re-introduce NLA items by buying companies or licencing the big names. I see this thread was titled "SNG quality" (now changed) which is unfair as they have done more than anyone to maintain supply and respond quickly. Do any of you really believe there are multiple companies competitively producing E-Type parts :roll: for different vendors because I can assure you there are not save for a few big ticket 'upgrade' items.

So returning to Maikel's suggestion of a list of ill fitting parts, what are members supposed to do with that information - abandon their project, wait for years until a better product arrives, wring their hands in despair, sell up and move on? There are no alternative sources. As for the YouTube suggestion please don't go there - pissing off our major parts supplier for little gain is not a good idea especially for those of you who want continued access here.

I have been running this Forum since 2008 and it is hugely inspirational to see the result of people's labours (the Restoration threads) and what they did to get to the finish, rarely if ever complaining about parts but just pushing ahead and working round things to get exemplary results
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#42 Re: Parts quality!?

Post by DWW » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:45 pm

Well written David, I agree wholly. I did start typing a reply expressing in essence the same sentiments but abandoned it as I realised how involved and time consuming it would be to cover all the aspects mentioned.
Danny

1962 S1 3.8 FHC (1012/1798)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

RICHOT
Great Britain

#43 Re: Parts quality!?

Post by RICHOT » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:01 pm

:yeahthat: well said👍.
1950 XK120
1965 S1 E Type DHC
1989 Porsche 911 Carrera cabriolet

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SESH
Great Britain

#44 Re: Parts quality!?

Post by SESH » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:54 pm

Totally agree about pattern parts mentioned by David above. However, it is still important that the Company should be judged on the way it handles complaints and remedies poor parts issues.
Just my thoughts!
Mike
1973 Jaguar E Type Series 3 OTS Signal Red
1968 Proteus Jaguar C Type Ecurie Ecosse Flag Blue
1963 Triumph TR4 Signal Red
2020 Mustang Bullitt Highland Green

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#45 Re: Parts quality!?

Post by Simon P » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:19 am

SESH wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:54 pm
However, it is still important that the Company should be judged on the way it handles complaints

:bigrin:
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#46 Re: Parts quality!?

Post by angelw » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:00 am

David Wrote:
Reproduction parts are never going to be as good as pattern parts and the development process to design, test and produce them runs to many many months (ask Angus!)
Balderdash. The development of these part was completed decades ago. The skills required are that of taking measurements and copying. With the multitude of scanning and digitizing equipment available today, getting accurate specifications from an existing, correct part is not difficult.

This Thread should and need not be about vendor bashing, but unless the vendors are made aware of issues with product being sold, nothing changes. The wrong handed window winder mechanisms for Long Wheel Base S2 and S3 E Types were being sold by most, if not all of the parts selling businesses, is a good example. This issue stems from the incorrect configuration drawings in Jaguar parts and maintenance manuals, where the LH assembly was depicted as a RH assembly.

After reporting the matter to the seller and being told that mine was the first such compliant they had received, I was contacted by the company's inhouse engineer. The conversation starting with a declaration that the selling company had to comply with the specifications of Jaguar. I replied that they could continue to do that, but it wouldn't make the wrong handed parts they were selling any more possible to fit without the end user removing and discarding the anti-vibration damper and bracket from the inside of the door. By the end of the conversation, the inhouse engineer was convinced.

Despite what is shown in Parts and Workshop Manuals, cars never left the factory with window winder mechanisms fitted as shown in these manuals.

Regards,

Bill
Last edited by angelw on Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#47 Re: Parts quality!?

Post by cactusman » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:30 am

Having done quite a lot of work to my old car this summer I've bought lots of bits from several suppliers...
Carb rebuild kit and sundry bits from SNGB (ultimately Burlen fuel for the carburettor stuff)...fine.
Water pump, hoses, bonnet front frame, trim parts, gearbox tunnel cover, hinges, bits, fixings from Norman Motors (Ken is a walking encyclopedia of Jaguar parts!). Fine. Ken is brilliant.
Jag shop...cable strapping tape. Fine.
Clayton Classics. New Aluminium brake fluid reservoirs (yet to be fitted). Fine...(these will replace the plastic sovy bottles than are not fine and their propensity to split has been highlighted by me and others)

All the bits were in stock, despatched immediately and fitted...

Lastly a big Thumbs up for Classic and Modern Engines (Bracknell) who rebuilt the lump...it purrs! And to JB sports Engineering (WGC) who rebuilt the gearbox and overdrive! And to my local garage, Bowron Motorcare, and especially Pete who winched the lump out and put the shiney "new" lump back in. Endlessly patient...

We all get frustrated when bits don't fit, me included, but overall we are extremely fortunate to enjoy the availability of parts and talent of repair businesses that we have...at least here in the UK... :yellow:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic