Parts quality!?

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Maikel
Germany

#1 Parts quality!?

Post by Maikel » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:38 pm

Good day to all members,

I am writing because I want to know if I am just unlucky with the SNGB quality or if it is the best they can do?

Bought a rear manifold, and for some reason, I had expected something really nice as they are praised in the forum as much better than the originals.

What is your experience?
Do you also have to pay for the return of wrong parts or those that do not fit or have a defect?
I never returned anything as the postage had to be paid by me and would exceed the price of the part.
But this time the value is higher. Please reply as I want to understand if this is their quality standards ?
And also who is paying for the return.
Bought the part in the Netherland as I am in Germany. Good thing is, the postage usually takes often less than 48 hours.

Kind regards

Last edited by Maikel on Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Parts quality!?

Post by mgcjag » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:09 pm

Hi Maikel...I would say its very unusual to recieve a part as bad as this.....I assume it was a new part and not a refurbished or second quality item.....contact SNGB direct you should recieve very good customer service from them....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Maikel
Germany

#3 Re: Parts quality!?

Post by Maikel » Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:51 pm

Hi Steve, many thanks for your reply.

the part is a brand new part and is even called PREMIUM

So far, I have to say I never had any good customer service with SNGB Netherlands apart from a prompt posting of orders.
Claims were always a hassle and I gave up, as postage costs would have been on my side combined with a bureaucracy for returning parts that the pain to go through that procedure would have been too much.

Now, this time, we are talking about a few hundred bucks, I contacted them with pictures but no answer yet.
They probably hope I will install the part as is or will again hesitate to spend the money for posting and also avoid the paper work to claim a return.

But it is good to know that also you consider this part as low quality. I am really surprised this item passed the quality control.

In US the customer service should be working perfectly, not so in Europe with the Netherlands branch. And believe me, I have spend lot of money with them the past 10 years. But more and more buying elsewhere due to the poor customer service. I do not expect everything to be perfect, but please try to fix it.

Funny thing is, when I call them and explain the issue, they always say, I am the first who is complaining and they never ever had any problems with that part.

What about the others here in Europe. As I said, US and UK seems to be different.

Maikel

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

Post by DWW » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:04 pm

I don't know about the Netherlands people but the UK outfit are pukka. Don't you have consumer laws in the EU to protect you, especially since this was a distant purchase, if they persist in ignoring you, do a chargeback through the payment method used.
Danny

1962 S1 3.8 FHC (1012/1798)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:05 pm

Hi Maikel.....dosent sound very good to me that you haven't had good customer service.... JulianBarratt is the owner/MD he is a member here.... click on his profile and you can send him a PM or a direct E mail.....he will want to know about any issues around poor customer service... please contact him...you will not be disappointed with his response....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Maikel
Germany

Post by Maikel » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:18 pm

@DWW
in a normal world, we do have in Germany a free return right with online trading without even giving a reason.
Wherever I buy something online, very seldom I have to return something, but if, I get a free return label from the seller via email.

This is certainly not the case with SNGB in the Netherlands. Might be in US or UK, but I had asked for it in the past and there is no such thing. In fact it is very complicated to return items even still packed.

I could probably claim all my money plus shipping cost back, but I presume that will take even longer.

Sadly I can not continue with the installation of the exhaust, so project is again stalled until this is sorted.

Frustrating? Yes, very much! But how to handle this?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

caveman
Great Britain

Post by caveman » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:28 pm

I purchased a new 4.2 inlet manifold from them (UK) some years ago. After install, and before start up, I noticed water poring into the centre carb inlet. Removed manifold and on closer inspection found a pea sized hole in the casting. At that time, I was made to feel like the bad guy on the phone to them, as it hadn’t happened before. I paid for the return post and not a hint of an apology or explanation. With so much good competition out there, I shop around now. The replacement from them was good though. I think nowadays, their team is better versed in customer communication etc, a shame the QC still isn’t great, particularly at source for some items.
Steve
1965 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:28 pm

Iv flaged this up to Julian (SNGB)......Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Maikel
Germany

Post by Maikel » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:51 am

@caveman
Good to hear I am not the only one, have seen some other comments regarding spare parts quality and it seems to be a common issue. I guess most of us do not bother to follow it up. But that does not improve the situation.

@mgcjag
Hi Steve, many thanks, lets hope I do get a reaction.

I will be at Spares Day again. Will you?

Cheers
Maikel

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JulianBarratt
Great Britain

Post by JulianBarratt » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:04 am

Further to the above issue, i have contacted Maikel directly to organise resolution.
From the pictures, it would seem that there is a fault in this particular casting that has not been picked up during manufacture. We will check our existing stocks to ensure that this isnt widespread and will arrange to resolve with the intial customer.
MD at SNG Barratt Group
Enthusiastic owner/driver of a couple of complete E-types as well as a warehouse or two of parts...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

max-it-out
Great Britain

Post by max-it-out » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:08 pm

Here`s an idea - why not check parts before sending them out to the customer , it would save a lot of time and hassle . :roll:
Mark

1968 series 1.5 roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:34 pm

That sentiment could just as easily apply to Jaguar both in period and now!

Thank you Julian for the fast resolution with Maikel :salute:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Maikel
Germany

Post by Maikel » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:09 am

Well done SNGB 👏

Today I received a perfectly new manifold and they have picked up the faulty one!!!

Excellent service and I am really very positively surprised.

Especially as Julian sent me a mail saying that they have no return postage service due to range and complexity of their part range. They would consider a refund if justified,
For every location they have different rules outlined on their website. But they would look into it to improve again.

Well, I am now very pleased 😀, might have been an exception!

Thanks to Steve and David who were obviously concerned about this matter.

In the end I would appreciate a better service rule for similar cases (faulty parts). And a "Sorry, our mistake, we will try to do better" instead of, "Can not be, never had that, it is the first time", would simply be more customer orientated.

I fully understand that if someone orders a wrong part or confuses a part number or quantity, the sender can not pay on top for the return. They have their handling cost and returning parts, do cost them again to put it back into their system.

Thanks to Ed v. B in the Netherlands who got in contact with me and is handling this case.

Happy screwing
Maikel

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Maikel
Germany

Post by Maikel » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:32 am

max-it-out wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:08 pm
Here`s an idea - why not check parts before sending them out to the customer , it would save a lot of time and hassle . :roll:

Could actually be a very good idea :yeahthat:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:35 am

With the thousands of parts shipped out by various suppliers every day the practicalities of inspecting every part would be horrendous and add hugely to the cost of each item.....you could always collect items at a suppliers and check them yourself but then you have to figure out the time and cost implications....by ordering on line we should expect occasional problems....how the supplier deals with them is most important....in the above case it was sorted very well.....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dlgis
Great Britain

Post by dlgis » Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:17 pm

Glad to hear you had a positive result Maikel. As someone who’s bought more parts from SNGB than i’d planned to since buying an e type, I’ve always had great service from them with prompt deliveries. I returned some overordered parts recently and was swiftly refunded with no quibbles. In contrast an eBay company refused to refund parts because they deemed them not of a quality suitable for resale - the same quality they had supplied them in!
Darryl
1964 S1 FHC 3.8 opalescent maroon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

Post by DWW » Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:40 pm

Glad it all got sorted smoothly and you can proceed seamlessly with your project. Now when is your next video coming.
Danny

1962 S1 3.8 FHC (1012/1798)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Maikel
Germany

Post by Maikel » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:08 pm

DWW wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:40 pm
Glad it all got sorted smoothly and you can proceed seamlessly with your project. Now when is your next video coming.
😅 Hopefully next weekend,I have different subjects I am covering, so stay tuned.
Many thanks for watching 👍

Maikel

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Maikel
Germany

Post by Maikel » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:33 pm

dlgis wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:17 pm
Glad to hear you had a positive result Maikel. As someone who’s bought more parts from SNGB than i’d planned to since buying an e type, I’ve always had great service from them with prompt deliveries. I returned some overordered parts recently and was swiftly refunded with no quibbles. In contrast an eBay company refused to refund parts because they deemed them not of a quality suitable for resale - the same quality they had supplied them in!
😯 Darryl, welcome in the club. That is E Type, absolutely normal what you are experiencing.

I get the impression that the customer service is not the same allover.
But maybe/hopefully it is improving now in the Netherlands to get the same standards.

Happy weekend and hope to see you at Jaguar Spares Day next month or even the day before in a nice pub. We have booked the hotel and flights.

All the best
Maikel

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bitsobrits
United States of America

Post by bitsobrits » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:43 pm

max-it-out wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:08 pm

In the world I live in, our QC protocols dictate that incoming batches of custom parts are inspected and matched against known model items and or data for conformance to specification. If the sampled items pass, then the remaining quantity is released for distribution. Much more time and cost efficient than inspecting each item when shipping.

I can say with some confidence based on personal experience with SNG that they must not observe similar protocols. Or perhaps their people don't follow the protocols. In any case I've received many not fit for use products from them over the years. But I have to say the vast majority of the items they sell are fine, and the service (especially from the UK branch) is very good indeed.
Steve
'65 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic