Restorers carrying out work without approval - The bill.

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
maj74
Great Britain

#1 Restorers carrying out work without approval - The bill.

Post by maj74 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:21 am

I use a well known and well respected local restorers to work on my Series 1.5

In the Spring of last year I asked for a couple of issues to be looked at.

I was very precise about the list, and money is very limited due to ballooning mortgage costs, so I was very, very clear that there was £1000 available for work and that was the absolute limit.

There was some bubbling under the left rear bumper, which I asked them to look at and give an opinion on, but was extremely clear that £1000 was all I had for work to be done, and that they were to concentrate on the prescribed jobs first and then contact me if anything further was apparent that would not be covered by the £1000.

They proceeded to carry out work on the first jobs and came in under budget. The company owner then decided to investigate the bubbling given that there was money left over - he did not contact me first.

I then recieved a very apologetic call from him 2 weeks later - the bubbling had turned out to be a significant area of corrosion on the panel due to a previous repair. They had completely rectified it and repaired to their usual high standards, but incurred a resultant additional cost of a further £4000

At the time the conversation was that he realised the issue was theirs in terms of not having asked before starting the work, I would not have dealt with it at that time had they done so.

I paid the agreed £1000 and picked up the car.

I have now - 8 months later had an email asking when the remaining £4000 is due to be paid.

We are now selling the car as financially I am not able to keep it in the current economic climate.

Should I just be accepting that I need to allocate £4000 of the proceeds of sale to pay the restorers - I don't want to fall out with them - they are excellent - but in this case I feel slightly aggrieved.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#2 Re: Restorers carrying out work without approval - The bill.

Post by 1954Etype » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:24 am

Firstly this is an awful situation for all parties involved.

We sometimes find that work goes over the allocated/quoted time even though we try really hard to be as accurate as we can.

In cases like this, we sit down with the customer and explain what we have done (no point in falling out) and usually come to a mutual agreement (ie we meet half way). If the customer is adamant that they are not willing to pay then we write it off.

Good luck to you all and I hope you can come up with an amicable settlement.
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

#3 Re: Restorers carrying out work without approval - The bill.

Post by rfs1957 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:08 pm

As it seems probable that the extra work that was carried out (sans authorisation from you) will have increased the value of what you're selling, perhaps considerably even, would it not be equitable to recognise that and contribute some share towards the over-spend ?

Since a "bubbling-paint zone" on an E-Type can require a blank cheque, and way beyond £4000, I would have thought that having an invoice to allay doubts was definite plus when you came to sell.

You're undoubtedly untouchable, contractually, but .....
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paydase
Belgium

#4 Re: Restorers carrying out work without approval - The bill.

Post by paydase » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:19 pm

I agree with others that best would be to sttle a fair agreement inbetween.
I find strange though that the 4000 additional request came 8 months later and following apparently their acceptance the issue was theirs. Change of mind or of manager?
Serge
1964 (3.8) FHC
1961 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

max-it-out
Great Britain

#5 Re: Restorers carrying out work without approval - The bill.

Post by max-it-out » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:14 pm

£ 4000 sounds like quite a lot - that`s over 60 hours of work at the usual rates they charge . Maybe offer a good will payment of £ 500 ?
Mark

1968 series 1.5 roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#7 Re: Restorers carrying out work without approval - The bill.

Post by mgcjag » Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:50 pm

"I paid the agreed £1000 and picked up the car." Did you get a receipt for this payment...was there anything else on the reciept....you recieved an email asking when you would pay the £4000... have you actually recieved an invoice for this amount?....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#8 Re: Restorers carrying out work without approval - The bill.

Post by abowie » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:29 pm

To be honest they've probably added £4k in value to your car.

You could try to negotiate a lower amount with them, but to be honest if it was me and I was selling the car I'd pay them the full amount.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lowact
Australia

#9 Re: Restorers carrying out work without approval - The bill.

Post by lowact » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:16 am

Obviously you need to pay them something, otherwise there wouldn't be this thread, its about what you can live with. Yr selling the car so arguably you are getting back what you would have paid, if it was good value? How about pay their costs and split the profit, allow 50% was their costs, offer 3k, for them reduced margin, for you a good deal?
Regards,
ColinL
'72 OTS manual V12

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Fuel.inj
Wales

#10 Re: Restorers carrying out work without approval - The bill.

Post by Fuel.inj » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:16 am

It’s not a very professional way to conduct business the way this company has dealt with you, but, I would speak with them and come to an agreed settlement maybe 50/50. Do you or would you use this company again?
Paul.
1971 S2 FHC (Opalescent Blue)
1990 Mercedes Benz 260E
1972 Saab 96 V4
A number of Nortons.
1939 Triumph T100

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic