Perfect paint matching.

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
00series
Great Britain

#1 Perfect paint matching.

Post by 00series » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:40 pm

Hi,

Firstly: may i state that i am a customer but have no association what-so-ever with the following company.

Having worked with vehicle paint for many years as a hobby i know a good paint mixer when i meet one & the sole purpose of this message is to introduce you to a time served tradesman.

Last year i bought some Regency red to blow in a small area my E type, the paint was mixed from the Jaguar colour chip & upon application was not quite the same (due to the car being repainted 10 years ago & whoever repainted it mixed the Regency red slightly wrong)
I went to the following paint mixer with the fuel flap from the car & the mismatched paint, the next day i went to collect the paint & was told that the colour was indeed off but was now mixed 'perfect'.

As i live in the real world where perfection only really exists if you squint hard enough - i was not expecting much only to be amazed to discover that he was right - the blend was absolutely perfect & you cannot see any difference between old & new, seriously it is an exact match.

If you are looking for some paint he'll need a small part of your car ie: petrol flap & he will send you the part & the paint by post (cellulose, 2k base or top etc), he is very respected by the local car sprayers & also by the local classic car communities - & as i said i'm just here to spread the word & introduce you to an small independent company who know what they are doing & takes good old fashioned pride in his profession.

Marlow & Smale.
Unit A1, Woodside court, Roundswell, Barnstaple, EX31 3TJ
Tel: 01271 268083.

Cheers, Bert

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

daverawle
Great Britain

Post by daverawle » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:28 pm

Thanks for that Bert. They are close to me so one to keep for the future.
Dave
1963 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Kes
Great Britain

Post by Kes » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:59 am

It's interesting this topic has come up.
Couple of months back I had my S2 OTS taken back to the metal and resprayed in it's original Regency red by Dan at Panelcraft in Paignton, S. Devon. The company that mixed the colour (ooo I'm itching to name and shame...) were given a colour swatch, code AND the fuel filler cover for a match. The paint came back to the body shop hilariously wrong - even a colour-blind bat would have immediately noticed the difference! After a protracted argument about 'who's paying for this' a perfect match was eventually mixed, but not this time by a photo-spectrometor (or whatever the hell they're called) but by someone with experience using their eyes.
No problem is that great that it can't be run away from.
Regency Red 1969 Series 2 roadster.
Iris Blue 1962 MGB roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

D COUPE
Great Britain

Post by D COUPE » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:53 pm

Ha Ha colour matching is indeed a dieing art.

Along with spurious tinters and slight deviations
from the original mixing formulas...............
its not easy.

DC
ITS NOT WHAT YOU DRIVE ITS HOW GOOD YOU LOOK IN IT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic