Opalescent Silver Blue

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#1 Opalescent Silver Blue

Post by andrewh » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:59 pm

Hi there. I am just about to paint my original '62 FHC in its factory colour of Opalescent Silver Blue but need to get this shade correct. The paint chip I had from the painter is too silver, and not enough blue. Can anyone give me a supplier and code please?

A while back, say 2 years ago, I saw a superb 3.8 OTS on the Jaguar stand in the period Motor Show at Goodwood Revival. He had the colour just spot on. It was registered RAU... but do not recall the rest. If anyone can put me in contact with the owner, maybe he can help. Would very much appreciate help with this, as colours seem to have changed since water based paints came in. thanks a lot. Andrew
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:39 am

The known paint codes are all here: viewtopic.php?p=108901#p108901
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

Post by andrewh » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:16 am

great thanks for this. However, the problem is that some of the new formulations, do not match the original paints. When the change to water based paints came about the colours were varied in many cases, and I fear that this is what has happened with the OSB. I was hoping that I could track down someone who has experienced the same issue and found the correct formulation. I may be able to find some untouched piece of paint that I can get matched however. appreciate the help. thx
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:31 pm

Andrew . Hutsons have painted my FHC and 1 other 2+2 in OSB in the last 2.5 years . Neither were done in water based paint, but in, I think ICI 2k and I must warn you that the paint was extraordinarily expensive - mine was ? 1500 for materials alone, and when I queried it Andy showed me the invoice from his supplier. It will be worth asking him ( Andy Rayner 01274 669052) where he gets the paint from

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

osgii
Switzerland

Post by osgii » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:11 pm

Christopher, I don't really get the reason why it was that expensive? Or is this a normal price?
1E35547

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

Post by andrewh » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:31 pm

interesting thanks Christopher. DO you have any photos of your cars you could e mail me?

andrew.honychurch@btinternet.com

:D
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dave K
Great Britain

Post by Dave K » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:57 pm

Andrew,

My car is OSB and my experience of this colour is you could have 10 cars in a row and not one of them would be the same.
I have had my car painted 3 times and each time it has been slightly different.

Dave

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

Post by andrewh » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:28 pm

Ah......well thats not very encouraging!! I know what you mean though, I had the same with Aston Martin Dubonnet, but evenutally found a bit of original paint to match too. I think thats what I am going to do. The front subframe looks pretty original, but its too big to send in the post to the painter. If I can bring myself to do it, I may cut a section of tube out.........seems a shame, but its having a new front subframe anyway, what else will I do with it?
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:59 pm

osgii : I am afraid paint has become very expensive, especially if it is in colours for which there is no modern demand

andrewh : e mail with photos on its way, taken in several different lighting conditions . Incidentally, the inside of the petrol filler flap is often a good guide to original colour, and easy enough to post

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Peter C

#10 Opalescent Silver Blue

Post by Peter C » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:57 pm

Andrew,
I have just had my car painted. I wanted to use contemporary water borne paint. I searched the net for a reference & looked through colour charts (which is hopeless). I had a spray bomb made from the remnants of laquer inventory to the original spec DuPont #8316L laquer, but it was not quite the same as my stock undercarpet colour. DuPont gave me #679966 as the waterborne equivalent. It is not quite right, but it is very pretty & I'm very pleased.
Peter C
4.2 S1 FHC
Vancouver Island

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

speedyK
Switzerland

Post by speedyK » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:30 pm

Just how metallic were the original "opalescent" colours ? and opalescent silver blue in particular? Is it really a "metallic" paint at all?

Re-sprayed cars I've seen have varied, but some have been very metallic ? is this correct?

With the original paint technology was such a pronounced metallic finish even possible?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

Post by andrewh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:49 am

I an no paint expert, but for sure they were metallic and pretty noticeable as well. Sure the technology is different now, and one of the problems that painters today have is that many of the metallic tinters used to replicate old paints have the metallic fleck which is too large. Someone will expand upon this I am sure.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

speedyK
Switzerland

Post by speedyK » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:52 pm

Thanks for the confirmation that opalesecent silver blue is a proper metallic colour!

I recently viewed such a car that been re-sprayed and it did not look metallic.

I have discussed this with the owner and he said that the painting process employed during this car's respray helped to keep thickness within a very reasonable limit and to combine original appearance with modern practicality.

He added that the kind of paint that Jaguar used in the '60s would now be illegal.
To recreate an as-original-as-possible appearance the following current products were used:
Base coat: acrylic (synthetic) enamel (recreated by Glasurit using the original formula).
Finishing coat: "nitro-synthetic" (modern equivalent to cellulose) which is the closest to the original possible.

To me, it looks wrong ? no real metallic sheen. Has anyone else used this combination?

I'm most interested to hear more on which paints people are using to achieve the correct look.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:55 pm

David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dave K
Great Britain

Post by Dave K » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:29 pm

When I painted mine I went to Bancroft now called Morelli they are quite a large supplier of automotive paint and asked them about the OSB colour.
They got their colour charts out, various ones and we went through them until we agreed on a colour that I liked.
I was all for going for an ICI paint or similar and after telling them I already had the lacquer PPG used by Jaguar, Aston Martin and many other car manufacturers they said it would be a waste of money, it would be best to buy their base coat which is a hell of a lot cheaper and use the quality lacquer to seal it.
In fact the only reason for using an expensive base coat would be if you were trying to match a panel on a car that had been damaged.
If you talk to Morelli or similar and tell them what you are looking for they will be more than helpful.
I think I'll have to respray mine again next winter.

Dave

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Thor
Great Britain

#16 modern paints

Post by Thor » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Dont go near water based,a nightmare to have repaired,stick with base coat and laquer,glasurit would be my 1st choice,its worth the extra ?????s,buy an extra litre in a sealed tin,you can buy these paints no problem from suppliers,as they have "an allowance for classic cars",the silver tinters are the key to your prefered colour,make sure you go to the right man,better still ask here !good luck :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

skiday

#17 My OSB Colour

Post by skiday » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:49 pm

Hi Andrew

My OSB car, '68 2+2 was painted on the outside by the previous owner, which would seem to be a very good match with the bits that were not. I have a paint code that they must have used which was/is
GLASURIT#JAG-7410S
My paint supplies used this (what they said was as) obsolite number (perhaps they simply can't get Glasurit) to come up with
VOC 77 JAG 7222M shade Y
It looks very good with everything else, but that is sadly not to say this shade would match yours, but it might help.
If you think they might be of help to you, my suppliers are Wight Paint Supplies 01983 523132 Re e-type for Mr Day
Andrew Day. Former owner of S1A 4.2 2+2. Current cars; Aston Martin DBS 1968, Ferrari F355 & Fiat Coupe 20vt. Flag of choice; EU

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

wol916
Great Britain

Post by wol916 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:40 am

I painted my own car a few weeks ago in OSB and had this same problem. My father owned and ran a car body shop for 30+ years until he retired a few years ago and I purchased the paint from the same factor that he always used. They have been in business a long time and the advise they give is to be trusted. I did the job myself and did not want to use water based paint (no oven) so they recommended Kapci paints from Egypt and I have to say the result is great.
As for the colour I have an original ICI swatch book and could not get a formulation that matched even using the paint code so I went with a recent jaguar colour that was close to the swatch and had it tinted (I bought enough paint to repair any accident damage I may suffer in the future).
It is worth mentioning that the same tin of paint can produce over 20 different colours just by spraying at different pressures, temperatures, angles, distances etc I have seen a demonstration of this by PPG.
So even if you get the right colour it will nearly always vary from the sample. Metallic cars should always be sprayed fully assembled and in one go, they are always difficult to match in the event of an accident and most body shops will end up spraying a lot more of the car than was damaged and blending the paint in on a small area such as a rear pillar.
The truth is even if you find an original car in OSB and match your paint to this it will almost certainly not be the same colour as when it left the factory, old paint pigments were unstable and forty plus years of weather etc will have added to the mix.
So whatever colour you finally use as long as it is close nobody can say for sure if it's wrong or right, if your happy with the colour that is all that matters.

Warren
-------------
Warren
S1 FHC 4.2 OSB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Pim
Netherlands

#19 Re: Opalescent Silver Blue

Post by Pim » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:45 pm

andrewh wrote:A while back, say 2 years ago, I saw a superb 3.8 OTS on the Jaguar stand in the period Motor Show at Goodwood Revival. He had the colour just spot on. It was registered RAU... but do not recall the rest. If anyone can put me in contact with the owner, maybe he can help. Would very much appreciate help with this, as colours seem to have changed since water based paints came in. thanks a lot. Andrew
This one: http://www.xkedata.com/cars/detail/?car=850634 ?
Pim van der Schaaf
1E34261
1A33630BW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:26 am

That car as shown in the photo is nothing like OSB as it was originally - it is far far too blue . In the original colour the accent was on the silver, and it is a very pale blue rather than the vivid colour of RAU . I really can only advise using your present car as a guide . If you speak to Andy at hutson's he should be able to spray you off a sample card ( he may in fact still have mine because I gave it back to him ) which you will be able to compare with your present colour in the flesh as it were

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic