Remember the first time...?

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Phil
Belgium

#1 Remember the first time...?

Post by Phil » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:31 pm

well the first time you drove an E-Type 8)...

Mine was back in November 2001 when I started looking for an E-Type : it was a silver S1,5 2+2. I was with 8 years old boy Olivier. It was a nice car and very exciting first impressions drive. There were some concerns with the start of the car, some big rattle in the engine sound, and the price was outside my range.

Anyway, today, several years after, Olivier drove our E for the first time. He got his driving license in May 2011, just when he became 18 years old.
He knew he had to wait at least one year, build some experience, and would certainly be allowed to do it if he succeeded in his first year at University. He was very happy and managed very well with the expected big smile on his face after bringing the car back home ! It was his first time.

My other son Pierre drove the car for the fisrt time at the same age and under the same deal. It was already 4 years ago. Since then we drove together to Goodwood XK60 and of course to Spa-Francorchamps and in several different places. Well, this year there has been a different first time for him (and me ) : he came to ask me if he could take the car and have a drive with his girlfriend ... and this time without me. I know he cares and knows hte car very well so altough I was a bit anxious (you know, the first time...), I accepted and was very pleased to see how happy he was when he took the keys and how he was when he brougth the car back home.

The boys came with me when we went to see the car and test it before I purchased it in February 2002. They have seen and been involved some of the restoration steps. 10 years after, they are now driving it and enjoy the same pleasure of driving the E-Type.

The car will very soon turn 40 and is very much appreciated by a new generation of drivers :wink:
Philippe
1972 V12 2+2, Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

Post by 1954Etype » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:47 pm

Nice story Phil. Steffi has to wait until next year before she can drive mine though. I can't wait!
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Phil
Belgium

Post by Phil » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:26 pm

Hello Angus,

I am sure she is looking forward to it also. You both will enjoy the moment, for sure. It is a unique moment. I am sure you remember your's also.
Philippe
1972 V12 2+2, Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

osgii
Switzerland

Post by osgii » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:36 pm

Very nice story!

I'm even more "touch?" by your story because my whife is now pregnant for the first time, and i'll then become a father next summer! WOUHOUHOU!

I hope my kids will understand my passion for old cars, and will find themself a passion for something and have as much pleasure as I have.
1E35547

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Phil
Belgium

Post by Phil » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:35 pm

Hello Osgii,

congratulations to you and your wife !
I am sure they will understand as they will grow with it.
Start purchasing E-Type toys /models and then share moments with/in the E as soon as you can. I did not start as early with my boys (they were 8 and 12,5) but they helped in some restoration/cleaning steps and we drove together in several "balads" , they were navigators, reading the map and giving direction, and was following their indications. Great fun and memories of moments shared together. Sometimes we just went out for a drive, and could have very good and unique discussions in this unique environment. Out of time and context.
Philippe
1972 V12 2+2, Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic