E Type Fabs

Talk about E-Types here

PeterCrespin
United States of America

Post by PeterCrespin » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:06 am

I agree totally about Uryk's quality - it was the same with his headers in the old days. Works of art.

I just think that's a huge leap from suggesting other people's frames are in any significant sense functionally inadequate, let alone hinting that there might be an actuarial risk difference between brands.... We're all rooting for the guy but please let's keep it in proportion. I knew someone who had to subtly tweak Uryk's frames to fit and I know someone who had no fitting problems with another brand of frames. His stuff was/is good but other people are still in business.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dave K
Great Britain

Post by Dave K » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:03 am

I've had both the Robey frames and now the ETF ones. Nothing wrong with Martin Robeys quality they are well made as anyone would know if they had ever visited the place, its a large engineering concern, and lets not forget that he is responsible for making E-Type parts when no one else was interested.
The only problem is fitting them. I used podgers, screwdrivers and in the end had to grind down bolts to a near point to get the bolts in.
When I nipped up the bolts one frame was pointing up while the other was pointing down, I had to loosen right off all the bolts to get the PF anywhere close.
ETF ones on the other hand, the bolts just slid in, it was a pleasure to fit them and so easy.
It would be a good comparison to see how the prices match. I'm glad I have the ETF frames at the price I got them :wink:

Dave

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:55 am

I wonder if Jaguar Heritage will tool up and make them?
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

steve3.8
Great Britain

Post by steve3.8 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:08 am

Those of us who have had e-types long enough will remember new bonnets doubling in price overnight from ?1200 to ?3k , amongst other reasons this led to new bonnet makers .

Up to now ETF frames have maybe been slightly under valued but at the same time it has kept away other competitive manufacturers , with such a price hike I think it now leaves the door open for another new supplier apart from Robey .

Uryk?s a great guy and no doubting the quality and fit of his frames , I?ve had 2 sets , but there are other fabricators out there more than capable that could consider undercutting the ?3600 inc vat price .
Steve3.8

64 3.8 fhc, 67 4.2 fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dave K
Great Britain

Post by Dave K » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:47 am

Steve,

It's not as easy as it sounds brazing tubes together. Uryk went to a lot of trouble measuring frames and reaching a happy medium.
It takes skill to braze up the frames in a sequence that prevents distortion.
To Uryk it's his reputation, to the guy at Robey's its a job he has to do.

Still where there is money to be made someone will have a go. Years ago there used to be a bloke who turned up at Stoneleigh with a set of bottles and a gas torch and if you brought your frames along he would repair them on the spot, he was busy all day long :shock:

Dave

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

StevenB
Great Britain

Post by StevenB » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:41 pm

I am in the market for x 2 sets and have been shopping around. I have had a quote of ?3840.20 inc Vat and that is for 2 sets.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dave K
Great Britain

Post by Dave K » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:05 pm

StevenB wrote:I am in the market for x 2 sets and have been shopping around. I have had a quote of ?3840.20 inc Vat and that is for 2 sets.
Where from?

Dave

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dawnpatrol
Great Britain

Post by Dawnpatrol » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:00 am

An interesting discussion.
The E-type was one of the few cars in period to pass the "new" crash tests when introduced, largely due to the bonnet. IIRC.
Jaguar's design parameters are probably not available now but I would suggest that they adequately did the job. Yes they were difficult to fit in period as well. The rise of the "up rated" versions was, I would suggest, born out of a period of particularly poor repro's and increased torsional stiffness for the racing fraternity. Their benefits are clearly attractive for road car restorers, but how do they change the dynamics of crash impact loads? How much more load is transferred into the bulkhead/monocoque?
If the "repro original design is good enough, I think I would rather replace a damaged side frame than repair the bulkhead.
I have experience of the results of two high speed crashes where the N/S frame was seriously buckled, both frames where pre ETF's and no damage to the bulkhead. I was not in the car at the time, I hasten to add.
Jaguar?s competition E-types had standard frames (as far as relates to this point), given all the work the completion department did modifying standard parts, why did they not up rate them. We know they thought about it as an Alloy picture frame was trialled and rejected.
Sometimes we can get a bit carried away with improvements, must have the best available etc and lose sight of the cost/benefit/need equation.
Michael
Michael
1961 OTS LWE, 1965 OTS, 1966 FHC.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
carlv12
Spain

Post by carlv12 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:12 am

Hello,

who knows if Uryk from E Type Fabs is again at work?

Please remember that he does NOT answer to phone calls or emails any longer!!!!!

I hope he is not ill.

Regards from Valencia

Carlos

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:06 pm

Hi Carlos....yes Uruk is still working, but my understanding is that he is concentrating on manufacture and no longer selling direct......if u cannot contact him then try calling Hutsons who are selling some of his products, they may be able to help you..Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JimmyS
Great Britain

Post by JimmyS » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:15 pm

Hello Carlos,

I suggest you contact The Hutson Motor Company Ltd. on +44 1274 669052. As far as I know they are acting as distributors for Uryk's products. Please let us know what the situation is if you have an outstanding order or a warranty issue.

Regards,
Jim
1964 FHC Project
1E20078

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

StevenB
Great Britain

Post by StevenB » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:29 pm

So for clarity,

Hutsons supply E type fabs frames
Robeys do their own
SC parts supply frames who makes those I don't know..Robeys?

Anybody else???? :roll: :roll:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
carlv12
Spain

Post by carlv12 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:54 pm

Hello again,

and what about Uryk's 5 speed gearbox?

Who offers the gearbox now?

Thank you and best regards

Carlos

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:19 am

Hi Carlos.......dont know...as said previously contact Hutsons for info..Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

norman m. macleod
Australia

#55 E-Type Fabs

Post by norman m. macleod » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:25 am

Hi all,
I'm a bit confused by all this discussion/speculation.......I e-mailed Uryk yesterday regarding installation instructions for his rear brake and revised handbrake set-up, and back today (mid-day....) came a detailed response with detailed instructions, and a heap of helpful photographs to boot......Thus far, I have purchased and installed his frames, his vented disc front brake set-up, and now the rear brake set-up, with prompt responses to any queries.......
With regard to the price of his frames, I'd venture an opinion that they were always under-priced in the past, considering the quality of the product. Having said that, I bought them in March 2012, (when the Oz$ was at an all-time high, and no VAT :D ,mind you, the freight cost was eye-watering :cry: .....)
Regards to all,
Norman.
1967 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Quattrofrank
Norway

Post by Quattrofrank » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:10 am

Any news?
Anyone have contact info for this uyrik guy?
I want to purchase the 5 speed kit, powert steering and front brakes.
the Hutsons webpage wasnt very helpful either.
It kinda hard to belive that any company making their money on selling parts not putting any effort into making a proper webpage. After all we are in 2015 not 1995

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:39 am

Hutson's , I can tell you from extensive personal experience, are probably the most helpful people in the entire Jaguar world . However, I agree that they do not really bother with a website. Essentially they are restorers, and parts supply is merely an adjunct to that

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

Post by 1954Etype » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:56 am

The problem with Hutsons is that they are old fashioned in that they believe in talking to their customers. I only buy my parts from them as their product knowledge is superb. when l was dealing directly with other suppliers, my returns box turned into a crate.

As Chris says, restoration is their main business.
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dave K
Great Britain

Post by Dave K » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:00 am

Quattrofrank wrote:Any news?
Anyone have contact info for this uyrik guy?
I want to purchase the 5 speed kit, powert steering and front brakes.
the Hutsons webpage wasnt very helpful either.
It kinda hard to belive that any company making their money on selling parts not putting any effort into making a proper webpage. After all we are in 2015 not 1995
Contact him direct, I know of someone in Oz who bought a set a frames as recently as two weeks ago. Give him a call and he will likely respond.

Dave

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Quattrofrank
Norway

Post by Quattrofrank » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:10 pm

Is someone willing to share phone number and email adress?
Searching for Uryk in the yellow pages didnt give me any results :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic