E Type Fabs

Talk about E-Types here

JimmyS
Great Britain

Post by JimmyS » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:07 am

What's the damage?
?3,000 for a standard replica set with no additional strengthening gussets etc. Given the value of E-Types these days I try to be philosophical. We all have to make a living. A set of frames is the next 'big ticket' item on my shopping list. Given that the ticket just got bigger I won't be buying them this month or next. Timing is everything! :cry:
1964 FHC Project
1E20078

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

StevenB
Great Britain

Post by StevenB » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:20 am

mmmmmmm, it's the next big ticket item on my build too, not good news!
irrespective of quality which isn't in question, however there has to be a ceiling :(

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:02 pm

Hi guys........we could possibly get together with others who may be interested and bulk buy?.......Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JimmyS
Great Britain

Post by JimmyS » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Hi guys........we could possibly get together with others who may be interested and bulk buy?.......Steve
That may be a worthwhile proposition, though Andy said he had five sets of standard frames in stock at the moment. I don't know what quantity he would need to order to make an appreciable difference to the selling cost. If you'd care to ask him, you can pencil me in for a set, he knows I'm after them.
Jim
1964 FHC Project
1E20078

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moeregaard
United States of America

Post by Moeregaard » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:06 pm

Owing to the age and failure potential of original subframes, you have to bite the bullet and figure that a new set is just another form of insurance. Glad to hear that Uryk is alive and well, and still in business.
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

StevenB
Great Britain

Post by StevenB » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:13 pm

Id be up for that?.. I may need x2 sets at some point this year but certainly need one set soonish.

depends on the discount I guess

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:08 pm

Hi All......just spoken with Andy at Hutsons.......He is getting quite bombarded with queries at the moment re ETF, and is quite concerned at some of the speculation that he is profiteering from the sale of ETF frames etc.......just to confirm Andy is selling a full set of standard frames including delivery in mainland UK for ?3k +vat re the increase of 100% this has not come from Hutsons and is due to the increase in cost of manufacture and materials from ETF......in fact when ETF web site was still running in Dec last year there prices shown were just under ?3k +vat per set......Andy told me that he has just added a small percentage onto what they cost from ETF......so putting in an order from several members would not give a reasonable discount as he is not making much on them anyway. As mentioned in a previous post he has 5 sets on the shelf.....Just to finish Hustons have not taken over ETF they are just a sales outlet for the products ...regards Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:16 pm

Sensible bit of economics - double the price of the product, expect to sell half as many but your financial position remains unchanged .......... except you have halved your workload! Uryk built all the frames himself so I guess this move allows him time to work on his other projects. It is called 'optical marketing' - you sell your product not for its actual worth but the price it is seen to be worth by customers.

You can buy frames from others and spend a week trying to get them to fit or buy Uryk's and plug them straight in. Depends how you value your time I suppose.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

StevenB
Great Britain

Post by StevenB » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:03 pm

Just had my quote in writing and no movement on price??..

The last time I looked at Uyrks website just before it went down I believe they were priced at 2500 + Vat for a set. So I guess it is what it is.

Can't say I blame Uyrk, actually the firewall of a distributer can have its benefits. If nothing else you can just get on with the job and not spend all day responding to emails and phone calls from the end user. Lightens the paperwork too.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JimmyS
Great Britain

Post by JimmyS » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:17 pm

Apologies all round, it was obviously a lot longer ago than I thought when I last looked at Uyrk's web site, if the price had gone from ?1,500 to ?2,500. Obviously not such a price hike after all. As I said to Andy, I'm glad the man is alright and sympathise with his new working arrangement, not being the world's best businessman myself.
Regards,
Jim
1964 FHC Project
1E20078

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:29 pm

Well, in fact the price has nearly tripled in the last 6 years . I paid ? 1100 for mine in 2008/9 . There is nothing that can justify that sort of price increase except greed , and I have a feeling Uryk's business will struggle as a result

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

StevenB
Great Britain

Post by StevenB » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:56 pm

Well food for thought??.

SC Parts are quoting ?2400.14 inc Vat

Quite a difference, anyone bought a set????????

Barrets only have the bonnet sub frame available online not sure if the rest is available offline :roll:

Any thoughts?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

StevenB
Great Britain

Post by StevenB » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:00 pm

If the SC Parts supplied ones are good and available?
I would tend to agree with you Chris.

It is quite a difference if they are materially like for like. I say IF?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dave K
Great Britain

Post by Dave K » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:45 pm

I tried to have a look on Robey's site for engine frames but couldn't find them.

Dave

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

Post by abowie » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:07 pm

Heuer wrote:
You can buy frames from others and spend a week trying to get them to fit or buy Uryk's and plug them straight in. Depends how you value your time I suppose.
Who else makes them? Robeys? Which ones are hard to fit?
Just looking at options ATM for a restoration vehicle.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

StevenB
Great Britain

Post by StevenB » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:40 pm

Yepp me to any kind of feedback would be helpful.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

Post by 288gto » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:04 pm

Heuer wrote:
Given that the steering, suspension, engine, front wheels and brakes are directly or indirectly attached to these frames, how much you value your and your passengers life might be more apt.
It would be interesting to know what liability insurance other suppliers have in place should the frames fail. The new price represents probably 3% of the value of a restored car.
Fortunately, I bought them at the pre increase price. Would I still buy at the new price? Yes.

Simon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

Post by PeterCrespin » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:23 pm

288gto wrote: It would be interesting to know what liability insurance other suppliers have in place should the frames fail.
Do you have any reason to think that product liability insurance is a meaningful differentiator between brands of frame? Do you have any reports of catastrophic failure that might occasion a claim on any such insurance? I have seen lots of cracked frames but never heard of a bad accident. Mostly people have no idea I suspect, until they check or they get replaced proactively as preventive maintenance.

Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

16024d
Great Britain

Post by 16024d » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:21 pm

I bought a full set of frames direct from FAB as late as november 14. Cost ?1500 +vat. That is hell of a price rise in three months!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

Post by 288gto » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:10 pm

Pete,

I think it's all down to personal choice. Having met and spent some time with Uryk, I know he is passionate about the quality of the frames. Leading restoration companies including the new agent for Uryk's frames seem to be of the opinion that they are the best on the market. If people are happy to fit frames of dubious fit and quality, that's fine. My concern is that items like this are reproduced down to a price and would be interested to know whether they are subject to any testing or certification. My comment regarding liability insurance was more of an open question in the event of heaven forbid a failure in an accident rather than through corrosion. If someone ploughs head on into me I would like to think I have bought the best frames money can buy. However that is just me.

Simon.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic