Colour choice....what is right

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#1 Colour choice....what is right

Post by andrewh » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:09 pm

I have taken the plunge and purchased a 3.8 OTS to go with the FHC. I strongly believe in restoring the car as in your own dream. In other words if its red in your dream then paint it red etc. But there is an unhealthy influence starting to rear its head suggesting that you MUST paint the car the colour it was manufactured in. I personally think that this a bad force at play, and ranks alongside "matching numbers" for ridiculous diversions. I would be interested in everyones opinion on the issue, but it wont change my mind which is that I am going to paint it in exactly the colour I want, as long as its correct for the year. If you start having to paint the car in someone elses colour choice then it follows that you cannot put uprated brakes, suspension, smaller steering wheel etc etc on the car. Maybe the original colour lobby is not as great as I think?
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:18 pm

Hi Andrew....what colour was Steve McQueens E ?........my thoughts are its your car and we are only here once so do what you want....that is unless someone else is paying for it.......Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JagWaugh
Switzerland

Post by JagWaugh » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:20 pm

Andrew,
In my anything other than humble opinion, if you are going to strip the shell completely, and do a bare metal respray, then pick whatever colour you like. If you are only planning to strip some parts out, mask off, and repaint, then go with the original.

I have only seen a few colour changes that were NOT complete bare metal resprays that didn't have a small corner where the original colour was visible somewhere or other.

I stripped my shell completely and had it dipped. Expensive? Yes. Will anyone ever be able to tell that I changed from "Golden Sand" to "Opalescent Gunmetal"? Not without the JDHT certificate.

Andrew

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SEJohnson95
Great Britain

Post by SEJohnson95 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:21 pm

Personally I think it's a case of each to their own. The good thing is that you already have a car in its original colour scheme. When I one-day get my E type I will have it in whatever colour I want. That does happen to be red and as it is period correct then no one can tell me otherwise. It's your car, do exactly what you want with it, nobody can tell you that you're right or wrong. Incidentally, what's the original colour scheme?
Simon Johnson
Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Nottingham
E-type Club magazine contributor
Chasing the dream of a S1 4.2 OTS, but plan on getting an E ASAP!
Lucky passenger in a 1962 FHC - See restoration thread

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

Post by Mark Gordon » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:35 pm

Paint it whatever color suits your fancy. You could go with a factory "period correct" color, but even back in the 60's an owner could special order most any color, so who is to say that the color you choose is incorrect?
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

Post by Simon P » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:48 pm

Never do anything 'for the next owner'. It's your car, do it in whatever way will make you happy with the finished result (always assuming of course your sense of 'taste' wasn't developed in Essex or Cheshire :wink: )
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

Post by andrewh » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:09 pm

Thank you chaps early indications are good. Paint it your fav colour. Of course it will be period correct for E Type. My car, the ex Steve McQueen!!!!! Ha ! Is white with black. I quite like it as a scheme but not my favorite. I like primrose but not correct for a 62 3.8 ( my brother In law used to Lend me his to take girlfriends out for dinner in 1980. His is primrose) but in 62 colour scheme, opalescent dark blue, green, silver grey and gunmetal probably with red leather.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

David Oslo
Norway

Post by David Oslo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:31 pm

Andrew, I wholeheartedly support the "paint it your colour" brigade, that's what I'm doing! Bare metal of course. Flipping from Pale Primrose (yes, it is an appealing colour, but just doesn't "do it" for me) to Opalescent Gunmetal Grey. I know I'm a few years too late to be within period, but who cares!

Oh, and I just love the statement "I have purchased a 3.8 OTS to go with the FHC" :D
David
S1 2+2 '67 MOD conversion (going)
S2 OTS '70 (arriving)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

Post by andrewh » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:44 pm

David Oslo wrote:Andrew, I wholeheartedly support the "paint it your colour" brigade, that's what I'm doing! Bare metal of course. Flipping from Pale Primrose (yes, it is an appealing colour, but just doesn't "do it" for me) to Opalescent Gunmetal Grey. I know I'm a few years too late to be within period, but who cares!

Oh, and I just love the statement "I have purchased a 3.8 OTS to go with the FHC" :D
Thank you David, I like OGMetal. In fact my first E type was this colour with biscuit from memory but I never got around to restoring it and sold it on in a rash moment in 1979 from memory. There are some great colours.

Sorry about the matter of fact notification of my purchase! I am over the moon naturally and can't wait to get started.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

Post by Gfhug » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Andrew, paint it your choice of colour. The patronising camp that come out with the 'I don't own this watch, car, aeroplane but merely the keeper for the next generation' are so full of c**p. You own the car and it's your choice. Have fun and we'll enjoy seeing the results.
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

Post by andrewh » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:50 pm

Gfhug wrote:Andrew, paint it your choice of colour. The patronising camp that come out with the 'I don't own this watch, car, aeroplane but merely the keeper for the next generation' are so full of c**p. You own the car and it's your choice. Have fun and we'll enjoy seeing the results.
Plus 1. I saw a superb Opalescent green car at Goodwood with painted wheels and red trim. Awesome. Let me see if I can find the photo.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:52 pm

Why do we here paint it any colour you want ...but so long as its in period...thats missing the point.......if you like the period colours thats great......but what about all the psychodelic colours and patterns that were about in the 60s....really have the colour scheme you want..
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

neil4444
Great Britain

Post by neil4444 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:53 pm

I went round and round in circles on colour for years.

The dream was always BRG but also liked OSB, Gunmetal & Carmen Red.

My OTS was originally Carmen Red, but had also been OEW & ODB at different points.

In the end I just coudn't decide so went for Carmen Red as that was the original colour. I'm delighted with the choice. However I'm in no way a purist and firmly believe you should paint your car any colour you choose.

Now I've just got to decide on colour for the FHC which was originally OEW but currently a non Jaguar metallic dark blue. Current thought is it would look nice alongside the OTS in OEW with red interior :)

Any photos of the new project Andrew ?
Neil
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

David Oslo
Norway

Post by David Oslo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:00 pm

I just love the understated Britishness of the statement regarding the 3.8 OTS. I dream of being able to make the same statement myself some day. Don't think my wife shares the same dream. Already too many cars in front of the house:-)
David
S2 OTS '70 (arriving)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

Post by andrewh » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:06 pm

David Oslo wrote:I just love the understated Britishness of the statement regarding the 3.8 OTS. I dream of being able to make the same statement myself some day. Don't think my wife shares the same dream. Already too many cars in front of the house:-)
You tell your wife?????
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

David Oslo
Norway

Post by David Oslo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:25 pm

Sneaking in another project would be a tad tricky I'm afraid. I broke the "one classic at a time" rule a while ago..... But I still do window shopping, just on the off-chance something irrestible pops up :D And I'm talking about cars, not wives :lol:
David
S2 OTS '70 (arriving)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tony
Great Britain

Post by Tony » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:38 pm

Well my 62 ots is Ferrari Red which I think is a better red than the jag reds which seem a bit dull. But if you are a purist this will not go down well. But, each to their own and what ever colour you choose enjoy it.
Tony (E typed)

1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

Post by andrewh » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:14 am

I wonder if either of these beauties is owned by anyone here. If so , you are to be congratulated. They are beautiful

1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

Post by Gfhug » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:30 am

Andrew, from the driver's seat you'll be seeing two colours, that of the long bonnet in front of you and of the interior trim. Maybe your choice of trim colour might be a controlling factor? The gunmetal of 449 XKE is a lovely colour, but I wouldn't have black trim. Red trim could work though.
Just thoughts to complicate the choice, but the pleasure/agony of final decision is all yours. I just envy you having the OTS as well as the FHC.
Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

Post by andrewh » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:58 am

Not so keen on the ODG? love the painted wires on that one as well. Not strictly correct but I see that the Bruce McClaren car had those from new so it must have been done.......actually as I type this, was it not a Coombs car that they supplied to BM and did they not colour code most of their MK2 wheels?
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic