Values rising.....

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
chrisfell
St Lucia

#1 Values rising.....

Post by chrisfell » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:27 am

Several Es were sold at yesterday's Brooklands action. One, a '66 2+2 with a recent resto. achieved over £60k including premium. While this may be heartening, rising values will be refected in higher agreed value insurance premiums. And more temptation by theives to try and make a quick profit.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: Values rising.....

Post by cactusman » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:08 pm

£60k is a keen price. For those of us with one I guess rising values are generally nice, for those yet to join the ranks of owners the seemingly inexorable rise is not so good. I have spoken to more than one potential owner at shows this year. Most wanted a S1 but realised that prices have gone too high so were either looking at S2 or 2+2's. One chap sat in my S1 and decided immediately he wanted a 2+ 2 as he did not fit! While the 2+2 may not quite have the line of the two seat car the difference is very subtle and they are certainly more roomy. And you can fit small sprogs in too so maybe a combination of practicality and lower price is boosting demand.
For those of us fortunate enough to own one of any flavour .....vitally important to have appropriate agreed valuation and suitable security to deter thieves...
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#3 Re: Values rising.....

Post by Durango2k » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:32 pm

That was my decision 9 years ago - an S1 was a must, coupe or roadster out of reach (I barely had 10 thsd USD for a complete car / project), plus there was / is Felix (who is about to reach 6 ft aged 13 now), and yours truely at 6ft 2.5, so I went for a 2+2.

These in manual triple carb form are rare as well - try to find one.

Even as baskets these now command over 25 thsd (show me a cheaper one), so I was very lucky to have taken the money intended for the kitchen and bought the E-Type instead. Making SWMBO a bit angry, but hey, you can drive to McDonalds in your E-Type but try to drive your kitchen anywhere...

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#4 Re: Values rising.....

Post by cactusman » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:24 pm

Brilliant post Carsten. A kitchen or an e type? E type every time. As you say if you are over six feet tall a 2+2 is the obvious choice. Hopefully your wife got her kitchen too and is no longer angry :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#5 Re: Values rising.....

Post by Durango2k » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:54 pm

This was exactly how it happened- I had 7000 Euros, told her its for the kitchen, the next night THE E-Type popped up (early S1 2+2) and that was that.

Of course, about 2 yrs later, we had the cash "again", so then it was the kitchen. And I love cooking (and I am surely far advanced then "she" is).

True story, written by live....

Other way round, today this E even untouched would have bought 3 to 5 kitchens ? Whilst one used kitchen would have bought, well, 2 doors and a hatch from an E ?

In fact, the current market would have squeezed me out of any of my cars. They all cost above 10 or more grand, and when you think about worldwide travels or buying an E-Type wreck for 25.000, I'd prefer Australia.

So - very lucky me, I made this dream reality before it went out of reach. Pheww.

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#6 Re: Values rising.....

Post by cactusman » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:12 pm

Well done you. :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

David Oslo
Norway

#7 Re: Values rising.....

Post by David Oslo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:51 pm

And Carsten, just wait until you're on the autobahn, doing say 80 kph, and click in the MOD ... it's truly superb !!! ... it'll take you way up the speed range without stressing the engine. I had a hoot this summer doing 130+ kph up and down to Sweden, engine toodling along in the low 2K range.

I have just bought a S2 OTS (unless it was an elaborate internett scam) and have to sell the S1 2+2 to pay for it all, and I'm sure gonna miss the MOD. It more that balances up for the extra 2" roof height that always gets commented on the forums.

Wandering slightly off topic, but it's still all about value :bigrin:
David
S1 2+2 '67 MOD conversion (going)
S2 OTS '70 (arriving)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#8 Re: Values rising.....

Post by abowie » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:18 pm

Currently the US and European economy are doing well and money is very cheap to borrow.

This will always push the price of discretionary luxury items up as more players enter the market with someone else's money to burn.

E Types are rare and desirable, and I see this trend in pricing continuing while economic conditions remain the same. Inevitably, when they do change sales will stagnate and prices will fall from the heights we are seeing now. No one ever picks the top of the market, but this is why I am selling two of my cars now. One has already sold and the other is being prepped for sale and I hope it sells in the next few months.

There will be an inevitable softening in prices once the current boom ends, but I don't see prices falling dramatically back to 2009 prices, for example. Long term I have no doubt that the 3.8 OTS in particular will become a million dollar car. This might not happen for another 20 years but it will happen.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#9 Re: Values rising.....

Post by Durango2k » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:49 am

The name for this is "asset inflation".

I see no way for all the money to get out of the system again without a major crash first. See Ludwig von Mises, Austrian school of economics.

And I am not sure how long this madness of printing and printing will continue. Plus you never know how long your health allows you to do car work. I just had some kind of a wakeup call in June, looks all fine again now, but my left arm is not the same as before- I need some training to get it back to shape.

So, lesson learned, if possible do it today, it may be you can not do it later.

Same applies to travels, raising children, you name it.

Carsten, planning for Australia in 2018

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#10 Re: Values rising.....

Post by abowie » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:08 am

The greatest financial minds in the treasuries of the world's countries don't seem to know how to improve things, never mind what is going to happen in the future. What chance do I have?

I'm going to take some profit, keep the car I'm most attached to and move on.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nickleback
Great Britain

#11 Re: Values rising.....

Post by Nickleback » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:15 am

Well XKE's in America are still making good money with the right provenance or was that famous owners !, this one went this weekend for just over £168k:
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23425/l ... 100&page=1
Mike,
1970 S2 FHC 2R28165

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Andrew Porter
Great Britain

#12 Re: Values rising.....

Post by Andrew Porter » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:49 pm

chrisfell wrote:Several Es were sold at yesterday's Brooklands action. One, a '66 2+2 with a recent resto. achieved over £60k including premium. While this may be heartening, rising values will be refected in higher agreed value insurance premiums. And more temptation by theives to try and make a quick profit.
Wow, amazing car!
No matter how useless you feel, you're someones reason to smile

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic