Build your own E type

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
44DHR
Great Britain

#1 Build your own E type

Post by 44DHR » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:11 pm

Sent to me as a birthday suggestion by my neighbour - as I'm retiring then at the end of October - because it looks like my car :-

http://www.deagostini.com/minisites/uk/ ... uar-e-type

When you click on the red band to check out Issue 1 in the above link, the magazine looks quite good and shows some of the model detail with the bonnet and the bonnet badge installation.

Things were looking good to start with at £1.99 a copy and initial parts, but once I read that the further copies - a total of 100 issues are needed at the normal price of £8.99 to obtain all the parts, I had second thoughts. I did suggest he bought me a subscription as my birthday present, but for some reason he declined !

Looks a nice model though !!

regards,

Dave
Last edited by 44DHR on Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Red Kite
Great Britain

#2 Re: Build your own E type

Post by Red Kite » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:29 pm

If its one of these then its a bargain for DIY...

http://www.motor1.com/news/100359/jagua ... otor-show/
Gerry.
S2 FHC 1R20003

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
44DHR
Great Britain

#3 Re: Build your own E type

Post by 44DHR » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:10 am

I was just interested if anyone had signed up for this Jaguar Heritage endorsed product and associated goodies as I would have loved to see the model being built up to its final completion ?

They don't appear to be promoting the models size and that it is of metal construction. The magazine appears of good quality and would be of specific interest to us E type bods over the various isssues, but perhaps if they had improved the marketing and reduced the price they might get more takers ?

regards,

Dave
Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
44DHR
Great Britain

#4 Re: Build your own E type

Post by 44DHR » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:13 am

I was just interested if anyone had signed up for this Jaguar Heritage endorsed product and associated goodies as I would have loved to see the model being built up to its final completion ? Deagostini are a well known brand in such mail order products and I have seen other previous completed 1/8 scale car models which are to a high standard.

They don't appear to be promoting the models large 1/8 scale size and that it is of metal construction. The magazine appears of good quality and would be of specific interest to us E type bods over the various isssues, but perhaps if they had improved the marketing and reduced the price they might get more takers ?

(Sorry -I didn't mean to post twice - I thought I was editing my post above.)

regards,

Dave
Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Quattrofrank
Norway

#5 Re: Build your own E type

Post by Quattrofrank » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:38 am

Interested in this but 100 issues..
will take 10years to complete then

Edit: 1issues every week so 2 years then..
But only available in UK :banghead:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#6 Re: Build your own E type

Post by Heuer » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:24 am

The Monogram 1:8 kits come up regularly on eBay for about £200 and I am guessing that is what this offering is based on. Simon Johnson has built one and is currently modifying another. £1k for a DIY kit is ridiculous and I thought these scams had died out years ago (I remember a locomotive, steam engine, Spitfire etc).
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
44DHR
Great Britain

#7 Re: Build your own E type

Post by 44DHR » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:33 am

David,

I think the word "scam" is a little harsh. I have no connection or intention to place an order for this model, but I would never had posted this if I believed it was a scam.

My neighbour does subscribe to models from this company and other similar ones at these prices and there is a genuine group of these collectors for these model cars, so he offered it to me in good faith knowing my E type. They are certainly not based on the Monogram/Revell 1/8 plastic kits and just by looking at the first parts being offered on their web page - which are metal - this is just the centre section of the bonnet and the centre bar badge which is assembled as it the model with metal screws. The plastic kits are supplied with a one piece bonnet moulding.

I also undertand - from reading the link I provided that these deliveries are grouped to provide 4 sets of parts once the subscription gets underway.

I just thought the Jaguar Heritage endorsement and subject matter from an established company could of been of interest to our community.

regards,

Dave
Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#8 Re: Build your own E type

Post by Heuer » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:40 pm

These type of products were popular in the 1970's and were stocked by the major newsagents. Everything from scale models to tapestry were on offer but many customers were left disappointed or out of pocket. The business model is to use weekly subscriptions to fund the tooling and production of parts but invariably subscriber numbers dwindled over the first few months as people lost interest or found other uses for their money. As a result the publishers could not cover the cost of continued part production and the issues started disappearing from the shelves. It became harder to find the latest issue and then they ceased completely leaving subscribers out of pocket, a half built model and no recourse. IIRC companies like W H Smith refused to carry the periodicals because of public complaints and the companies then resorted to direct mail shots or flyers in newspapers.

This company may be totally legit but you are gambling they will still be in operation in 24 months and there is no guarantee you will get all your parts. Better to buy the complete kit on easy terms or credit card if you are strapped for cash because you could be left with a part built £600 curio.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

#9 Re: Build your own E type

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:00 pm

A couple of years back I bought all the issues to build the DB5 James Bond Aston , that was approx 100 monthly issues ,about 2 years , the annoying thing with this build was not many parts followed on ,so you couldnt build it into modular parts and join them together at the end , but it was a pleasure to buil that me and my wife had over
A wet boxing day , now it just sits on the side covered by its tailored car cover gattering dust , sooner buy the monogram and custom it to my car
Its a way of life not a hobby
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#10 Re: Build your own E type

Post by PeterCrespin » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:21 pm

A hundred months in two years? What were you smoking? :-)
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SEJohnson95
Great Britain

#11 Re: Build your own E type

Post by SEJohnson95 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:35 am

The kit in question here looks good (and the manufacturers are also good model makers) but I still believe the Monogram/Revell 1:8 FHC is the best one out there - and pretty good value. You can do so much with them and change pretty much what you want given the size as you're not dealing with small parts. Interior trimming for example, extra parts in the engine bay, I bet with enough patience and better tools you could even make it into a S2. They take a fair amount of effort to build but they're very rewarding and it's like doing your own restoration!
Simon Johnson
Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Nottingham
E-type Club magazine contributor
Chasing the dream of a S1 4.2 OTS, but plan on getting an E ASAP!
Lucky passenger in a 1962 FHC - See restoration thread

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

wagstefan
Germany

#12 Re: Build your own E type

Post by wagstefan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:10 am

I just applied to that model (actually two of them). A free and willing decision after having read through this thread as well as watching every available clip on Youtube.

I did the Monogram one and yes, it is good value for money, whereby the Deagostini one is really not a bargain. But I always wished the Monogram to be made in metal rather than plastic. And if you look at the wire wheels.... I have never seen such a perfect solution as with the Deagostini. Also all the other details.... I can't wait to start building up this model. Moreover how much money did I spent on rare early parts, maintenance, literature, models, always looking for more and rare stuff on eBay, etc.?

And at the end; I am anyhow totally mad about E-Types. Bought my first one at the age of 20, while I was a student with self earned money. Then some 16 years later going for my very early FHC leaving me with nothing then a decent overdraft as well as a credit and not a penny in my pocket. So in regard of E-Type no rational behaviour existing. Seems to be history repeating ;) And that's why I am going for this model, believing to get a better, more solid model.

We will see!

Stefan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nickleback
Great Britain

#13 Re: Build your own E type

Post by Nickleback » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:53 am

Red Kite wrote:If its one of these then its a bargain for DIY...

http://www.motor1.com/news/100359/jagua ... otor-show/
It's here on Jaguar's own site:
https://shop.jaguar.com/uk/e-type-coupe ... jddc936rda

Bargain only £7250 :wow: cough. cough, sputter !.
Mike,
1970 S2 FHC 2R28165

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

wagstefan
Germany

#14 Re: Build your own E type

Post by wagstefan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:44 pm

@Mike,

Garry (Red Kite) meant the Deagostini model for assembly could be the same as the one for 7250,- GBP only in parts.
If so, approx. 900,- GBP is definitely a bargain compared to 7250,- GBP...

Cheers

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic