Recommendation for a Decent Workshop Manual

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
ClassicJagMan
Great Britain

#1 Recommendation for a Decent Workshop Manual

Post by ClassicJagMan » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:14 am

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a decent workshop manual for my LHD 1968 2+2 4.2 manual. I used to have a Hayes paperback for my Jag Mk2 which was next to useless. It seemed as though it was written on tissue paper with photos that were a totally unintelligible black and white blob!

Many thanks,

Andy

PS
I don't mind paying for a decent one.
Andy
1969 LHD S2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Recommendation for a Decent Workshop Manual

Post by mgcjag » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:53 am

Hi Andy....can recommend the Jaguar service manual.....every S1 S2 owner should at least have this one......it covers all the common components starting with the 3.8 then has seperate sections for the other models.....there is a copy in the knowledge base section technical ......it dosnt cover the US spec carbs http://www.sngbarratt.com/ProductDetail ... 4b9f38c3f4

Also worth having S2 drivers handbook http://www.sngbarratt.com/ProductDetail ... 8c0ec179b4
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#3 Re: Recommendation for a Decent Workshop Manual

Post by cactusman » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:52 pm

Agree. Get the factory manual. Haynes is ahem...just a guide....
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#4 Re: Recommendation for a Decent Workshop Manual

Post by cactusman » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:24 pm

One on eBay....ends in an hour...£60 :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

38E
Canada

#5 Re: Recommendation for a Decent Workshop Manual

Post by 38E » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:52 pm

cactusman wrote:Agree. Get the factory manual. Haynes is ahem...just a guide....
I don't know about the later cars or +2s but for the earlier cars, the Haynes is perfectly adequate. I did a total nut and bolt restoration, every single part, of my '62 using only the Haynes manual (and this was before the internet forums were available to help).

Later on I obtained an original Jaguar factory manual and discovered that most of the content was actually directly duplicated in the Haynes. I know all Haynes manuals aren't great, especially those for later cars but in the case of the E-Type manual, it's just fine. IMO, anyone criticizing it should probably not be working on their car.
Clive, 1962 Coupe 860320
(sold)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#6 Re: Recommendation for a Decent Workshop Manual

Post by christopher storey » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:30 pm

Oh well, clearly I shouldn't have been working on my cars . The Haynes guides are just that... guides. There is a great deal of precision information - and drawings - contained in the workshop manuals which is not in the Haynes ( and some very important warnings ) , and whilst even the factory manuals , and associated reprints by e.g. Brooklands , aren't perfect ( mostly because they do not contain the service bulletins) they are about the best source of information there is .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moeregaard
United States of America

#7 Re: Recommendation for a Decent Workshop Manual

Post by Moeregaard » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:50 pm

For the Series One and Two cars, the Haynes manual is more than adequate. You might have to do a little digging in the text when looking for specifics, but the photos and diagrams plentiful. The manual is also cheap enough to keep in the garage. I've worn out several over the last 30-odd years. If it's your only manual, you're still in good hands.

The Robert Bentley manual is very good and borrows heavily from the factory publication. The factory manual is the Holy Grail. I have a hardbound copy I found in the original wrapper a few years ago. It's never seen the garage and only comes out occasionally and while I'm enjoying a nice single-malt.
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#8 Re: Recommendation for a Decent Workshop Manual

Post by mgcjag » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:16 pm

Out of interest just got out my old Haynes to have a look through....was suprised to see it also has a section that covers twin Strombergs...so very usefull if you have a US spec car........
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#9 Re: Recommendation for a Decent Workshop Manual

Post by cactusman » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:39 pm

Clive. I didn't say they were bad. I said they are a guide. I have rebuilt an MGB using the workshop manual and the corresponding Haynes manual. The Haynes was not perfect and contained inaccuracies. Certainly the MGB one is not gospel in all things. Very useful and I would not be without it. Adequate for General servicing and maintenance but for a rebuild I would want the manual written by the guys who built the car. No criticism of Haynes but sorry...the workshop manual it is not. Not yet rebuilt my e type but when I do it is the Jag workshop manual and bulletins I will refer to although I am sure even they won't be perfect...

I would agree though that anyone working on their car should have the Haynes to hand as a minimum and the knowledge and common sense to realise when to ignore it....
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

38E
Canada

#10 Re: Recommendation for a Decent Workshop Manual

Post by 38E » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:41 pm

christopher storey wrote:Oh well, clearly I shouldn't have been working on my cars . The Haynes guides are just that... guides. There is a great deal of precision information - and drawings - contained in the workshop manuals which is not in the Haynes
Maybe you're right in that case. As I said, when I did eventually purchase a Jaguar workshop manual, (an original green "3.8 E-Type Grand Touring Models" edition complete with brass stud binding) I was surprised to note that most of the photos, drawings and descriptions etc were exactly duplicated in the Haynes. There is actually very little that is missing, plus, the Haynes is nicely organized into logical chapters with all the needed specifications at the beginning of each. I can only think that you haven't actually looked at one.

In any case, I'd say the Haynes is worth the money to most S1 owners just for the very detailed set-up information for the triple SUs which is practically guaranteed to work if it's followed carefully.
Clive, 1962 Coupe 860320
(sold)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SRK
United States of America

#11 Re: Recommendation for a Decent Workshop Manual

Post by SRK » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:42 pm

I downloaded the Jaguar manual from EManualOnline and then put it on my ipad. Now its at my fingertips!

1 x 1971-1974 Jaguar E-Type series III V12 Parts Manuals & Service Repair Workshop Manual DOWNLOAD (1971 1972 1973 1974)
Format: Instant Download

Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic