'68 etype voltage issues

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Sebring
Canada

#1 '68 etype voltage issues

Post by Sebring » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:14 am

Hi All, I have an issue that his stumping me.

I installed a vintage air system in my car. However, when I turn the fan on, the voltage meter drops from a healthy 13.5- 14 to about 12. As such, if i run the car for an extended period with the fan on, my battery dies.

The alternator appears to be a stock unit as it continues to employ a voltage regulator. The back of the Alternator sates "Lucas" with no model number.

Likewise, even without the fan on, the dash and headlights get brighter as I rev the car indicating a non-constant voltage.

The car is new to me and I don't have any history on it.

Thanks
Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: '68 etype voltage issues

Post by cactusman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:48 am

Not sure what a vintage air system is but it rather sounds as though the alternator is not generating much output. The voltage at the battery should be around 13.8-14.2 at anything above 1000 rpm with an alternator and unless your air system uses 40 + amps the alternator should be able to supply all the power it needs when the engine is running.

I think you will have an old style Lucas alternator with a separate 4AW (I think) regulator (small black box with three wires under the heater box) so it may be the regulator that is dead. Try replacing that first.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic