Found a head.. is it from an E type?

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Wilder
Great Britain

#1 Found a head.. is it from an E type?

Post by Wilder » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:53 pm

Hi Guys, after a bit of detective work believe I may have found a genuine E type S2 head to replace the XJ6 S3 version that mine came with.
I am hoping those in the know will confirm yay or nay on this for me.
I believe its from an E type because not only does it have the correct inlet cam cover with the embossed "Jaguar" motif ( peculiar to the E types only as far as I am aware), but it also has the correct blanking plate at the rear, the three hex bolts, and the extra 2 water holes in the rear of the head.
If anyone can say with any certainty , please leave a comment as I want to resolve this asap.
many thanks

Jonathan K
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Found a head.. is it from an E type?

Post by mgcjag » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:08 pm

Cant confirm its an E head....but both cam covers have the rectangular cutout on top these were fitted on UK E engins from 7R8768 & 7R38895.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#3 Re: Found a head.. is it from an E type?

Post by Tom W » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:52 pm

What are the numbers on the rear of the head? Maybe others with S2s could compare numbers? I’ll have to check mine at the weekend, I can’t get the bonnet open with the car where it is at the moment.
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Wilder
Great Britain

#4 Re: Found a head.. is it from an E type?

Post by Wilder » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:38 pm

Tom W wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:52 pm
What are the numbers on the rear of the head? Maybe others with S2s could compare numbers? I’ll have to check mine at the weekend, I can’t get the bonnet open with the car where it is at the moment.
Hard to make out but the raised casting block looks like MR455
Jonathan K
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dawnpatrol
Great Britain

#5 Re: Found a head.. is it from an E type?

Post by Dawnpatrol » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:23 am

Jonathan,
As I suggested on your other thread, the only way to be 100% is to determine the head part number. I don't understand why you are not referring to this. The stamped numbers at the back of the head in the valley are completely irrelevant and relate only to the identification of the base casting before it receives its destination identification. I have read in Jaguar archives how Jaguar referred to those numbers for grouping heads to receive work, probably changing the part number to serve a particular purpose. Not absolutely sure who applied those numbers, Jaguar or one of the two casting sources, I suspect the latter as the production process needs to be able to identify batches of the same part marked items.
I think the head you seek is common to the series 1 XJ, they are not rare.
Good luck with the quest!

Michael
Michael
1961 OTS LWE, 1965 OTS, 1966 FHC.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#6 Re: Found a head.. is it from an E type?

Post by mgcjag » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:24 am

As above..look for the part number.....however the longer stud on the rear inlet side was used on 420 & xj6..they also had the rear lower 2 studs longer but on your head they are missing.....the longer studs held the throttle mechanism..also jag moulding on cam covers on 420 .....Also as you are looking for originality note that there are 4 different part numbers for S2 heads dependant on your engine number..details is S2 parts catalogue Knowledge base section.......Steve
420 & Xj6 S1
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#7 Re: Found a head.. is it from an E type?

Post by christopher storey » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:04 am

Steve : your top photo is actually a 420G, but definitely not a 420 or Sovereign

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#8 Re: Found a head.. is it from an E type?

Post by mgcjag » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:13 am

Hi Christopher...thanks .......Just posting to point out to the o/p that it isnt only E types that had Jaguar moulded into the cam cover and to see the longer stud for the throttle mechanism.....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Wilder
Great Britain

#9 Re: Found a head.. is it from an E type?

Post by Wilder » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:21 am

Dawnpatrol wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:23 am
Jonathan,
As I suggested on your other thread, the only way to be 100% is to determine the head part number. I don't understand why you are not referring to this. The stamped numbers at the back of the head in the valley are completely irrelevant and relate only to the identification of the base casting before it receives its destination identification. I have read in Jaguar archives how Jaguar referred to those numbers for grouping heads to receive work, probably changing the part number to serve a particular purpose. Not absolutely sure who applied those numbers, Jaguar or one of the two casting sources, I suspect the latter as the production process needs to be able to identify batches of the same part marked items.
I think the head you seek is common to the series 1 XJ, they are not rare.
Good luck with the quest!

Michael
Thanks, but i did not have any other pictures but the ones I posted, so I have asked for pics of the numbers on the valve side of the head.
Jonathan K
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic