Repro Tool Kit Question

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Bill Michigan
United States of America

#1 Repro Tool Kit Question

Post by Bill Michigan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:03 pm

The repro tool kit recently described in a "New Reproduction Parts" post seems to be an outstanding deal:
http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php? ... 8&start=60
(post #67)

I readily paid significantly more than that for a like-new kit that was described to me as "original tools in a repro pouch."

I'm curious about one thing: How can one tell the difference between a repro tool and an original?

Thanks,

Bill
1963 S1 3.8L OTS Cotswold Blue
2013 XF
Previous:
2002 XJR Series 100
1996 XJ6

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Repro Tool Kit Question

Post by mgcjag » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:04 pm

Hi Bill...lots of info on tools on the forum...just try a search....viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6394 or this tool roll for almost 1/2 the price https://www.classic-motor-cars.co.uk/cl ... l-kit_3990
Steve
1969 S2 2+2 & Building a C type replica

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#3 Re: Repro Tool Kit Question

Post by abowie » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:49 pm

Depends on what you want. Purists and concourse entrants will want original tools only. Ditto the correct jack.

Repros are for when originality doesn't bother you but you want a tool roll.

The tools are not really suitable for actual use and as such are purely decorative. I have a couple of original tool rolls and Metallifacture jacks for all my cars. They are all in a cupboard in my shed.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457..oops
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Bill Michigan
United States of America

#4 Re: Repro Tool Kit Question

Post by Bill Michigan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:11 pm

Thank you Steve and Andrew for your replies and additional info.

At this point, though, I've already bought a tool kit. I'm just curious if the tools in it are originals or repros. Any ideas on how to tell?

Thanks,

Bill
2013 XF
Previous:
2002 XJR Series 100
1996 XJ6

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Red Kite
Great Britain

#5 Re: Repro Tool Kit Question

Post by Red Kite » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:19 pm

I had a look at one yesterday at the NEC classic show.
It is a repro tool roll with modern tools in it, althought the spanners do say Jaguar on them !
Gerry.
S2 FHC 1R20003

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Bill Michigan
United States of America

#6 Re: Repro Tool Kit Question

Post by Bill Michigan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:46 pm

I apologize--When writing my #4 post I had not fully looked through one of Steve's recommended threads (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6394), which is a trove of information on tool correctness and originality, and also includes links to other relevant threads.

I now understand the difficulty and complexity of determining whether a given tool is original. I had assumed (or hoped) that it was a simple matter of looking for a specific feature or mark on the tool. Instead, I'll need to consider each tool individually and compare it to the photos and descriptions in those helpful threads.

Thank you all for your help.

Regards,

Bill
2013 XF
Previous:
2002 XJR Series 100
1996 XJ6

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

budmarston@aol.com
United States of America

#7 Re: Repro Tool Kit Question

Post by budmarston@aol.com » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:31 pm

Good morning, Bill -

Original Series 1, -2 and -3 toolkits varied from year to year. Jaguar used multiple brands for many tools, and typically sets of specific tools, such as open spanners, featured more than one brand in a given toolkit. At least six brands of tire pressure gauges were used, depending on the timeframe. Some tools, such as Tommy bars, were not branded. The surface finish also varied for some tools: many were black oxide but a few were blued. The earliest adjustable wrench (Garrington) was completely black oxide (including its jaws), whereas the jaws of later wrenches were polished with no black oxide. Three different bleeder tins (two Dunlop, one Girling) were used depending on the year. Original Thor hammers featured an ampersand between "Copper" and "Rawhide". All pliers, made by Sheffield Steel Products, featured multiple varieties of SSP stamp. Box spanners would have been center-marked or end-stamped depending on the year. The tool rolls for Series 2 and Series 3 E-types were identical but of different material; the Series 2 roll is not reproduced whereas good reproductions of the Series 1 and -3 rolls are available. Verifying authenticity of individual tools can be done by comparing them with known original examples.

I have spent a year acquiring an example of every single tool issued by Jaguar for its toolkits between 1961 and 1974 as well as original tool rolls and am working with Jaguar Clubs of North America (JCNA) to publish detailed information with beautiful professional photos. The two 6-page articles - one covering Series 1 tools and the other covering Series 2 and -3 tools - will be publised in JCNA's Jaguar Journal magazine in 2020. Using these two articles as reference, E-type owners should be able to authenticate individual tools and assemble toolkits that were precisely original for a specific year of E-type manufacture. All information was painstakingly coordinated with Jaguar researcher Roger Payne of Australia.

Regards,
Bud Marston
Alexandria, VA

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vikla
Great Britain

#8 Re: Repro Tool Kit Question

Post by vikla » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:02 pm

The UK E-Type Club published in its magazine a couple of years ago a huge set of monthly articles going into massive detail of all E-Type tools. They started in June 2017 written by Roger Payne. Members have access to them. This list is here:
https://160dd44f-1330-457b-9f03-1b300fa ... 4d6083.pdf
Steve
S1 4.2 FHC 1966

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

budmarston@aol.com
United States of America

#9 Re: Repro Tool Kit Question

Post by budmarston@aol.com » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:57 pm

Yes, indeed, noted Jaguar researcher Roger Payne, Australia, authored 22 articles for tools in "The E-Type" magazine during 2017–2019 in which he provides exceptionally detailed commentary and photos. The challenge: acquire copies of or links to all 22 articles and pour through the exceptionally detailed text to isolate specific tools that might be of interest to specific readers. I am guessing that few of JCNA's 6,000 members are even aware of Mr. Payne's exceptional research and do not have access to the superb "The E-Type" magazine, which is not available hardcopy in the United States.

I have attempted to distill more than 150 pages of detailed text and photos by Roger Payne into 12 pages of text and photos for two articles to be published in 2020.

Regards, Bud Marston

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#10 Re: Repro Tool Kit Question

Post by PeterCrespin » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:20 pm

As & when Bud’s work is published (Jan-Feb is already full), it may be handy to note that on the JCNA.com website, under the ‘Merchandise’ tab and then ‘JCNA Publications’ there is an option to buy the then-current issue. You’ll see the link if you scroll down about halfway. Previews look good.

Pete Crespin
Editor
Jaguar Journal
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 97 XJ6L

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#11 Re: Repro Tool Kit Question

Post by mgcjag » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:51 pm

We now have over 5000 members registered here on the forum......anyone that wants to reach the widest possible E type audience feel free to post here.....It will add to our already huge compliation of E type knowledge that is free to all.......and be greatfully recieved ....Steve
Steve
1969 S2 2+2 & Building a C type replica

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic