Rubber seal kit ...again

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
paydase
Belgium

#1 Rubber seal kit ...again

Post by paydase » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:20 pm

I have stripped my car to prepare her for a new paint and am seeking info on seals.
I know this topic has been abundantly covered already here but have not found a definitive and maybe recent answer to my concerns regarding rubber seals.
So I will ask again, please indulge.

I know that Baines are praised for their best quality.
However, when going to their website, they do not offer a rubber seal kit for the E-Type, only various types and shapes of seals.
So you have to know exactly what seals to procure, and ...they are numerous!
And no small specific seals like e.g. for the indicator lamps.

On the other hand, the usuals offer seal kits that seem to cover all of the required seals when making a full restoration.
However, the quality of their seals is possibly not at the level of Baines (unless they improved recently or decided to supply from them), and it has been argued in length here that not soft enough or thin enough seals may compromise the right fit and adjustments of panels, chromes, etc.

So my question is whether the quality of the usuals has raised now to a satisfactory level, and it is simpler to buy a full kit from them, or if it is better to buy from Baines, and then procure separately from the usuals all the specifics still required.

Thanks for your help.
Serge
1964 (3.8) S1 FHC 889725

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#2 Re: Rubber seal kit ...again

Post by rswaffie » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:11 pm

I think you may find that seal kits sold by some of the main suppliers are actually from Baines. I got my S1 seal kit from Hutson’s and they were Baines sourced if I remember correctly. Give a few a call and ask them who supplies them.
Richard

S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504
Now running-in my diy nut ‘n’ bolt restoration. :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#3 Re: Rubber seal kit ...again

Post by 288gto » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:14 pm

I got mine from Hutsons too and as Richard mentioned, Baines rubbers. Unlike the bulk suppliers of parts, Hutsons actually fit the parts they supply to customers cars so are perhaps a little more knowledgeable about the source or how well they fit. More importantly they offer advice and tips on how to fit them.

Andy at Hutsons will also be honest with you about where he gets parts from, if for instance it is simply Barratts, Robeys etc rather than made in house or a supplier unique to them he will tell you.
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
paydase
Belgium

#4 Re: Rubber seal kit ...again

Post by paydase » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:05 pm