Quick Release Steering Wheel

Technical advice Q&A

JJC
United States of America

#21 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by JJC » Sun May 19, 2019 7:21 pm

In regards to security, have you had that many attempts to steal your E ? As for getting in and out, I always felt that grabbing the wheel was more of a help, rather then a hindrance. Thanks for your answers gentlemen.

JC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#22 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by JJC » Sun May 19, 2019 7:44 pm

One more question...if you remove the steering wheel for security reasons....when ? In your garage under lock and key? If you are out and about, and your E is in a less then a safe environment, do you carry it around with you, lock it in the trunk ??.. Curious. Also, I'm 6'3, and never have a problem getting in and out, top up, or down.,for over 45 years.....makes me wonder why anyone would buy a car, any car, no matter how beautiful, that would require the steering wheel to be removed to aid entrance / exit ? Has anyone contacted their insurance underwriter and informed them that you have altered your car by installing a removable steering wheel ?? Doubt it. Having been a partner in an insurance company years ago, you might want to do that. My guess is the company will cancel your policy.. If , sadly, you have an accident, even if its someone else's fault, discovering that one vehicle had an undeclared alteration to their car, especially a removable steering wheel (although in reality, they are probably perfectly safe) might be just the sort of reason an underwriter would look for to deny coverage. Please be careful.

JC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#23 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by 288gto » Sun May 19, 2019 10:52 pm

JJC wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:44 pm

.............makes me wonder why anyone would buy a car, any car, no matter how beautiful, that would require the steering wheel to be removed to aid entrance / exit ?

JC
Admittedly not fully removable.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#24 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by Jeremy » Sun May 19, 2019 11:18 pm

Ah, the Gullwing. Doncha just love that white plastic wheel?
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#25 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by JJC » Sun May 19, 2019 11:47 pm

Familiar with the MB wheel, which did not really do much of anything......bit of an oddity.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#26 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by Heuer » Mon May 20, 2019 10:13 am

John

Many modern cars automatically raise the steering wheel when the ignition is turned off to aid access. Using the E-Type wheel to help you get out of the car results in bending and cracking of the wood rim so you quickly learn never to do it!

So easy to remove and replace:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#27 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by JJC » Mon May 20, 2019 11:24 am

A wheel lifting up out of the way to ease getting in, or out of the car , has absolutely nothing to do with a removable wheel. The wheel is still there, just at a different angle. I would also question the safety of a steering wheel that could be damaged simply by grabbing it has you get in and out of the car. It bends, and the wood can crack ?? Why in the name of safety would you put such a weak piece of equipment in any automobile ??

Has any forum member ever damaged their steering wheel, in any fashion , by grabbing it getting in, or out, of your E-Type ??

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#28 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by Heuer » Mon May 20, 2019 11:41 am

Jaguar designed the steering wheel and about 50,000 E-Type's were delivered with it. It was not designed to accommodate wide wheels, fat tyres or to be used as a lever to get the unfit or infirm out of the car. It's strength is rotational not lateral so it being pulled or pushed leads to damage. This it witnessed by the number of E-Type wheels that have cracked and splintered rims. Like everything else on the E-Type it is safe provided it is used as intended. The S3 steering wheel was a more robust affair with smaller holes and thicker aluminium probably in response to customer complaints of flex in the earlier cars.

If you are risk averse maybe the E-Type is not for you?

And in answer to your final question - yes I have, regrettably to a Coventry Timber Bending Co Ltd one. Fortunately the Steering Wheel Restoration Co were able to repair the cracks and the result is superb:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#29 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by JJC » Mon May 20, 2019 1:19 pm

Your remarks, of course, make no sense . You think owning an E is risky ?? Due to this imaginary risk you speak of, you think the E is not for me? Read past posts. Risk adverse...read past posts. Steering wheel not designed to take the relatively light pull or push of an owner getting in the car ? Really ? Not designed to assist the unfit or infirm get in and out of the car ?? And how often do you suppose those poor souls are climbing in and out of the car for a spirited drive. And if someone was kind enough to let such an individual sit in his or her's E-Type just for the sheer joy it might bring them, the owner should expect the wheel to be as solid as a rock. No remarks on insurance ramifications ? The cracks in your wheel were caused by time, age, exposure to the sun, or you getting in and out of the car ? If caused by simply grabbing the wheel while getting in or out of the car, I would suggest a much stronger wheel. And what does this have to do with the pro's or con's of installing a removable wheel ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#30 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by Heuer » Mon May 20, 2019 1:58 pm

JJC wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:24 am
Why in the name of safety would you put such a weak piece of equipment in any automobile ??
You brought the safety issue up. :shrug:
JJC wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:24 am
Has any forum member ever damaged their steering wheel, in any fashion , by grabbing it getting in, or out, of your E-Type ??
You asked, I responded. :roll:
JJC wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 1:19 pm
And what does this have to do with the pro's or con's of installing a removable wheel ?
The removable wheel boss uses the original/existing E-Type wheel.
JJC wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 1:19 pm
No remarks on insurance ramifications ?
Nope - will leave that to others.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#31 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by JJC » Mon May 20, 2019 2:16 pm

You damaged your steering wheel getting in and out of the car ? Scary

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#32 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by mgcjag » Mon May 20, 2019 3:56 pm

Hi John...dont worry too much.....we all know what we are doing and what suites us best....its just a personal choice.......life would be dull if we were all the same....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#33 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by Simon P » Mon May 20, 2019 4:14 pm

Wheels can be immensely strong and resilient - but only in respect of forces applied in the direction for which the particular wheel was designed.....

(That's a carbon fibre wheel, by the way)
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#34 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by JJC » Mon May 20, 2019 5:53 pm

Steve.....you are absolutely correct !! That is the only answer...just a matter of taste. In fact, I believe the real allure, and its a compelling one, to the wheel and its quick release, is just another gadget in a car where gadgets are always welcomed !! LOL I would bet, that months after install, the quick release wheel hardly gets used....much like paddle shifters.....once the novelty wears off...back to automatic mode !

All the best !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#35 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by 1954Etype » Mon May 20, 2019 8:41 pm

Hmmm. I’ve used mine 6 times so far this week on a tour in Germany. As I sit here typing this, the wheel is on the floor in front of me. Guess I must be the exception then.
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#36 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by Heuer » Mon May 20, 2019 10:06 pm

No Angus, your OCD aside, a removable steering wheel equals a good night's sleep. Car gone in the morning, holiday over. Essential IMHO.

The Yanks think a "stick shift" is good theft prevention failing to understand for the rest of the World it was how we lost our driving virginity. Taking away the steering wheel is a whole new level that will confuse the hell out of any footpad or thief.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#37 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by JJC » Tue May 21, 2019 12:40 am

Wrong...I think driving an E-Type is the greatest theft protection. Even an idiot thief would think twice before stealing the most recognizable car in the world. Get picked up by any competent police force in 5 minutes. Where in the good Lord's name are you leaving your car, that someone would try to steal it overnight. Is it at home, garaged like 99.9% of all E-Types, under lock and key, and you believe that once in your garage, after the house alarm goes off, that its not till the thief see's that there is no steering wheel....THAT'S when he gives up and runs away ????? !!!!!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#38 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by 1954Etype » Tue May 21, 2019 6:04 am

Side of the road last night. Public car park night before. Anyway, I’ll leave this pointless debate now.
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#39 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by JJC » Tue May 21, 2019 9:19 am

LOL !!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#40 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by Robbiee » Tue May 21, 2019 9:55 am

Hi to David
The you tube short clip appears to show the aluminium sleeve coming away with the removable wheel...and a rather neat mechanism

The longer link to the Superspoke fitting clip shows s bulkier mechanism WITHOUT the longer section coming away

Which is the latest version??

Regards
Robbie
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic