Quick Release Steering Wheel

Technical advice Q&A

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#41 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by Heuer » Tue May 21, 2019 9:58 am

The video clip is of the CMC removable steering wheel which both Angus and I have. It was designed specifically for the E-Type, is very elegant and you would not know it was there. Not sure I like the large push buttons on the Superspoke - too far from stock:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#42 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by mgcjag » Tue May 21, 2019 5:52 pm

Wow..the superspoke looks far more bulky than the one i made up

Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#43 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by Series1 Stu » Tue May 21, 2019 7:16 pm

JJC wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:40 am
Even an idiot thief would think twice before stealing the most recognizable car in the world. Get picked up by any competent police force in 5 minutes.
An old acquaintance of mine in Adelaide drove a Lincoln Town Car, at the time the only one in Australia, I believe.

Someone stole that! Obviously a sandwich short of a picnic. Drove it down a narrow lane, realised it was a dead end and couldn't manage to reverse it out.

As for a competent police force. We have one of those but they are chronically under-funded and have to prioritise accordingly. Hence they don't bother about chasing a scumbag that stole an old car.

Anything we can do to prevent the bastards stealing our pride and joy has to be considered.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#44 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by JJC » Tue May 21, 2019 7:25 pm

Well a removable steering wheel is not going to stop anyone determined to steal an E-Type. The steering wheel has nothing to do with the ignition, and starting the car. The E is notoriously easy to jump start without a key. The very few E-Types that are stolen around the world are usually stolen on request. A pro shows up, starts the car, made a lot easier by the way because the steering wheel is not in his way, attaches two medium size vice grips at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position on whats left of the removable hub, and off it goes , never to be seen again, as there is usually an enclosed truck waiting nearby.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paulsco
Great Britain

#45 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by paulsco » Wed May 22, 2019 11:58 am

Can't find it on the internet at the moment, but Superspoke advertise a lock on cover to use when the steering wheel is removed.

I think it is designed to rotate so that nothing could be used to lock on to the steering column to steer the car once the steering wheel is removed.

Paul
65 Series 1 FHC, 68 Jaguar 340

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#46 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by Robbiee » Wed May 22, 2019 12:58 pm

David...CMC certainly looks better. But.. the Superspoke has the advantage of minimal alteration to fit it I guess?
Am I correct in understanding that the central sliding splined shaft in the steering column is replaced with one with different upper splines ?
Do CMC supply this as part of the kit?

Haven’t had a comment from JC for almost a day?
Oh well ...I wait in anticipation 😊

Love this forum
Robbie
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#47 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by JJC » Wed May 22, 2019 1:11 pm

Paul......are you really afraid your E-Type is going to get stolen ?? Do you have vintage, or classic car insurance ? Know why fire & theft insurance is so cheap on E-Types ? Because its so very rare that one is stolen. Is it worth going through the money, installation,carrying the wheel around with you, now another lock for after the wheel is removed, for a car that is not going to be swiped ? And Jaguar did such a poor design on the interior of the car, that now, years later we are all collectively relieved that there is a removable wheel set up that FINALLY makes it easier to get in and out of the car ?? Oh brother !!! Its like putting a really great alarm system on the Eiffel Tower.....ya know...just in case. Its just a case of a vendor coming up with another totally unnecessary , useless widget for all the tinker's and widget lovers to install in their car.

JC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#48 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by JJC » Wed May 22, 2019 1:13 pm

Robbie...I love this forum too !!!! LOL

Please don't tell me your installing one of these money waster's too ??

Happy motoring ! Don't leave your steering wheel at home !!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#49 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by mgcjag » Wed May 22, 2019 1:30 pm

Hi John....i thought we agreed that personal choice was ok......why keep commenting on the topic....just let everyone else discuss something that intetests them....we know now that you think they are a wast of time and effort to fit.......can you now please let the discussion continue without interuption....thanks....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#50 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by JJC » Wed May 22, 2019 1:51 pm

What a lovely attitude. My answer to you is ...no. Stop interrupting ????? Its a written format....how do you interrupt someone ?? Holy smokes !! They are a waste of time and money, and if I can enlighten only one or two , perhaps new E_Type owners , then I feel pretty good about that. Its a forum....and removable steering wheels in an E-Type are a monumental waste of time and money.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#51 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by Heuer » Wed May 22, 2019 2:12 pm

Robbiee wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:58 pm
Am I correct in understanding that the central sliding splined shaft in the steering column is replaced with one with different upper splines ?
Do CMC supply this as part of the kit?
Robbie

Yes, CMC supply the hub and splined column. The hub replaces the original, uses the same wheel holes and is threaded to accept countersunk Allen screws. The stock splined adjustable sliding shaft is removed from the column and the new one installed. Wheel clicks into place and the fore/aft/lock adjustment remains the same. No permanent modifications and you can revert back to original very easily if JJC is coming over for dinner. £450 well spent and much better value than an alarm of some sort - should be standard fit on all E-Type's.

Highly recommended although you can feel a prat walking into Hotel reception with a steering wheel in your hand. Not as much as a prat as when you find your car gone in the morning though!

Obviously won't work in the USA as they have the steering wheel on the wrong side. :lol:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#52 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by JJC » Wed May 22, 2019 2:45 pm

Address reality David: How many E-Types are stolen in the UK on a yearly basis ?? Please get the number from any top flight insurance company or underwriter. Please get back to me with the actual number....when you have it, you can then apologize to forum members for being one of the champions of such a useless modification and expense to a group of cars, E-Types in this case, that are rarely, rarely stolen. I will make it worth your while....if more then 5 E-Types have disappeared in the last 12 months, I will make a forum wide apology to all members.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#53 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by 288gto » Wed May 22, 2019 3:27 pm

Just a few of many John. I could post up a lot more if you want.

Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#55 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by 288gto » Wed May 22, 2019 3:37 pm

And from this forum...

http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13300

http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php? ... en#p107109

http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php? ... en#p106604

I think it's safe to say that E types do get stolen in this country John. For me personally, and obviously I don't speak for everyone, ANYTHING that can be done to deter or slow down a thief from taking something I have spent a great deal of time, effort and money on is worthwhile. Yes it's insured but that doesn't get back 7 years of my life.

Simon

Edit, David beat me to it with the forum ones but I'll leave my post here just in case you missed David's. I did put pictures up in my first one as sometimes it helps to visualise an issue. :bigrin:
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

golfnut324
United States of America

#56 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by golfnut324 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:04 pm

I won't be holding my breath for that apology. It's not his style.
:waiting: (Not)
Craig
'68 E-Type FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#57 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by mgcjag » Wed May 22, 2019 4:22 pm

Are we really interesred in an apology. ......it isnt worth anything......it is quite interesting though how John described in a post here on the forum recently how he dragged someone out of his E type that was trying to steal it.....if the theif had seen there wasnt a steering wheel he would never have climbed in.....
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#58 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by Heuer » Wed May 22, 2019 5:18 pm

It was offered so we must give him a chance. No rush.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JJC
United States of America

#59 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by JJC » Wed May 22, 2019 5:22 pm

Craig...not my style? You know me personally ? Well yes, I guess in England they rip of E-Types all the time, so indeed, apologies to all . And yes, someone did try to steal my e-type once ....in 45 years !!! Its an epidemic !! Go ahead boys , put in the removable steering wheel....best money ever spent. Now Craig, when do I get my apology for your snide, mean spirited, uninformed asinine, brainless remark ?

I guess I should not hold my breath. LOL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herzeg
Great Britain

#60 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by Herzeg » Wed May 22, 2019 5:26 pm

David

I know what you mean about walking into the hotel reception. Two years ago I went into a French hotel reception to check in and plonked my steering wheel on the counter. The lady just said "ah, you have a classic car". Apparently they had a lot of car clubs stay at that hotel and removable steering wheels were not uncommon.

John
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic