Quick Release Steering Wheel

Technical advice Q&A

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#81 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by Heuer » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:33 am

It has one large spline on both the wheel and column so you just need to pull back on the release mechanism and then offer the wheel up to mate. The key spline is at the top of the steering wheel so you know where it is and align it with the column quite easily wherever that key is. Takes a few go's to understand and because it is precisely machined to avoid slack you need to be precise. You can do it with your eyes closed after that.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JerryL770
Great Britain

#82 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by JerryL770 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:24 am

An interesting discussion of which I've read only the last 2/3 pages.

I have a friend nearby who is a long time (50+ years) member of VCC/VSCC and personal restorer of 8+ classics. He expresses to me an opinion about how I should leave my car in the garage (which is integral but can apply to others). I should leave the keys to my car within it!!

Bearing in mind that his experience is with pre-steering lock cars he does not consider locking the steering on full lock but maybe we should consider if this is wise too.

This opinion is expressed for 1 reason only: if my house/garage catches fire, I don't want to be wasting time looking for the keys in order to remove the car (drive it out?) from the garage!! If in addition to there being no key, no steering wheel and steering turned to full lock, one is going to have a slow time escaping the fire.

So then it comes down to considering: what is the greater risk? Theft or fire?

Maybe this consideration would be limited to when one is around to be able to move the car, rather than away for a longish period and not around to be able to effect saving from fire. Protecting from theft then becomes a higher priority perhaps.
Jerome Lunt
1970 S2 FHC - Dark Blue, Red Interior, MX5 Seats
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#83 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by Heuer » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:13 am

My garage is alarmed and I do not remove the steering wheel when it is in there, other than for easy maintenance access. I only remove it when I leave the car away from home. So not a problem.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NigelV
Great Britain

#84 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by NigelV » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:37 am

Hi all. I have just come across this topic.
Although I am a couple of years late, and quite new to the E Type community (got my 62 S1 OTS from Malta last year).
I saw this boss at the SNG stand at the Jaguar National Day earlier this year, and was immediately smitten by it.
I am going to having a full body off respray this winter to take it back to original livery, Opalescent Gunmetal with a red interior.
Q. I am thinking of having an EZ steer unit installed while it’s stripped down. Can the CMC/SNB boss be installed in conjunction with the EZ unit?

Thanks guys, great knowledge base for a newbie. :thankyouyellow:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bruno
France

#85 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by Bruno » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:02 pm

Yes it can, no problem NigeIV

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paulsco
Great Britain

#86 Re: Quick Release Steering Wheel

Post by paulsco » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:59 pm

Hello Bruno,
Are you the same Bruno that sells GPS controllers for EPS systems?
If so, I would just like to say that I have bought one from you for my DIY EPS system that I am fitting to my E-Type.
It works well on the EPS column, but I have not as yet been able to test the GPS.
It has been a difficult journey adapting an EPS column, but I think I have overcome most of the difficulties, the main ones being the short length of the Jaguar upper column, the extendable inner column and not least the horn ring wiring.
I am now able to appreciate the ingenuity EZ have used in their columns, although they make no secret of the fact that they don’t make their own base units, they use koyo (Jtekt) or NSK.
Mine is based on the NSK unit, as per SNG’s and Moss Europe’s library pictures, and the one you show in the picture you posted.
Paul

65 Series 1 FHC, 68 Jaguar 340

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic