Stainless steel exhaust system - tinny sound

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
1964E
Great Britain

#1 Stainless steel exhaust system - tinny sound

Post by 1964E » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:45 am

Hi everyone. On my 3.8 FHC, I have replaced the old batterrred and bruised exhaust system with a brand new Bell Stainless Steel system. Whilst the new system looks great, I had underestimated what the difference in sound between the old system which I guess under all the crud was mild steel, and the new SS system would be. The tinny sound of the new system in comparison with the old system is quite noticeable, particularly on acceleration.
I expect it's a matter of me getting used to the difference, however if anyone has any advice on anything I can do to reduce the tinny sound or anything else I should check that may be amiss and accentuating the tinny sound, I would appreciate hearing that. Thanks in advance for any information you have to share.
Cheers, Peter.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Stainless steel exhaust system - tinny sound

Post by Heuer » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:07 pm

Stainless systems do sound different to mild steel, and not always in a positive way. Jaguar are even making mild steel systems for E-Type's because they know the same thing and are making it a selling point. You could keep the s/s silencers and down pipes and just replace the resonators with mild steel ones which will give you the 'correct' sound but other than that there is nothing you can do.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

#3 Re: Stainless steel exhaust system - tinny sound

Post by Mark Gordon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:23 pm

David, that's what I did when I installed my Bell S/S system a few years ago. I didn't like the look of the S/S resonators and since my original chromed mild steel resonators were in like new condition, I put them on and to my tinny ear, the exhaust sound is authoratative like a Jaguar's should be.
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
1964E
Great Britain

#4 Re: Stainless steel exhaust system - tinny sound

Post by 1964E » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Thank you David and Mark, that is very helpful.
Any advice from anyone about where I can get mild steel resonators that will easily fit onto the pipes and fittings of the new Bell SS system and sound like my EType 'should' ?
Thanks, Peter

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#5 Re: Stainless steel exhaust system - tinny sound

Post by chrisfell » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:16 pm

1964E wrote:Thank you David and Mark, that is very helpful.
Any advice from anyone about where I can get mild steel resonators that will easily fit onto the pipes and fittings of the new Bell SS system and sound like my EType 'should' ?
Thanks, Peter
Replace the main silencers with straight sections of pipe, leaving only the resonators to mute the bark. That's how an E-Type should sound.

Not sure about the next MOT though....
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#6 Re: Stainless steel exhaust system - tinny sound

Post by Heuer » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:03 am

That would be way too loud for enjoyable driving. You can specify 'straight through' silencers rather than 'baffled' if you want a bit more power and noise. These use perforated tubes surrounded by deadening material. The resonators are all built as straight through but do not act as silencers.

There was someone in the US selling chrome plated mild steel resonators via eBay some time ago. No idea if they are still available but worth checking. Alternative is to have resonators made in mild steel (PD Gough will make them) but you still need to have them chrome plated which makes them a bit expensive. Maybr Jaguar sell them for their mild steel E-Type systems?
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
1964E
Great Britain

#7 Re: Stainless steel exhaust system - tinny sound

Post by 1964E » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:30 am

Thanks David, I will do a bit more research and try to find mild steel replacements.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#8 Re: Stainless steel exhaust system - tinny sound

Post by Heuer » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:44 am

David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
1964E
Great Britain

#9 Re: Stainless steel exhaust system - tinny sound

Post by 1964E » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:53 pm

Great, thanks David, I will check it out.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic