Correct Thermostat

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
andy8688

#1 Correct Thermostat

Post by andy8688 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:26 pm

I have series 2 1969 2+2, recently my thermostat failed and I have been driving around the last couple of months witout one, the old one had 88 c stamped on it and had no toggle on it to allow air to escape.
I purchased one recently and had 74 c stamped on it, but no plastic toggle any advise please.

Andy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Car-Nut

Post by Car-Nut » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:41 pm

Andy,

Have you queried this with whom you bought it from :?:

Did you get this when quoting the part number you required :?:

Does it look anything like your other old thermosat :?:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andy8688

Post by andy8688 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:11 pm

It is exactly the same as my old one, part number for the new one is c28067, and they assure me its correct.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:56 pm

Andy

There were two types of thermostat which opened at different temperatures - hence the 74c/88c stampings. It just means it will open when the water temperature reaches 74c. The 88c one is for use in "cold climates", and despite what we all feel at the moment, the UK does not count!

There are a few types of thermostat knocking about - the plain type with no air valve and the original type which has the air valve. Both should work fine but if you are troubled ask SNG for the original rather than pattern type - only cost about ?3 anyway. The toggle helps with air locks but should not be necessary.

The parts manual for the S1 shows the part number as C20766 but SNG show the part as C28067 or C276501# for the pattern copy. Anything with a # symbol in the SNG parts list is an alternative supply by the way.

There is a thread on the S2 thermostat here: http://etypeuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=354
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:51 pm

The important thing about thermostats is that they should match the manifold, and have the correct type of sleeve which closes off the bypass tract. There are two types, and I'm afraid I cannot remember which goes with which. If you get the wrong type , you will get all kinds of circulation problems, with either most of the water not going through the radiator, or worse still ( because the effects are less obvious) no circulation through the rear of the block

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic