Gearbox oil filler? KE gearbox

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Grant
Great Britain

#1 Gearbox oil filler? KE gearbox

Post by Grant » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:11 pm

HI All

I've just imported a 1969 ots from the US and as I'm going through it Im trying to change the gear box oil.
However the Haines manual seems to say fill it from the left had side of the gearbox tunnel .
I do have the rubber bung on the left side of the tunnel but no hole or filler bolt on the gearbox at all ? there is a sort of fixed plug whole that a bolt could on gone in but on mine it seems to have a permanent plug in it .
there is a bolt head on the right hand side which i would have guessed was it if I did not have all the pictures in the book telling me its on the left ?
It a KE Gearbox not sure if that makes any difference?
Has anyone come across this ?
thank you in advance

Grant.
Series 2 OTS LHD

Link:
BBcode: Gearbox oil filler? KE gearbox[/url]" title="Click to select post’s link in BBcode format" onclick="this.focus();this.select();" />
HTML: Gearbox oil filler? KE gearbox" title="Click to select post’s link in HTML format" onclick="this.focus();this.select();" />
Hide post links
Show post links

nefematic
Germany

#2 Re: Gearbox oil filler? KE gearbox

Post by nefematic » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:23 pm

Grant,

the filler plug is on the rhs.

I just did the oil change on my lhd 1970 OTS. The access opening is on the righthand side of the tunnel. I couldn't det a spanner on the filler plug from there so jacked up the car and opened from beneath. Getting the new oil in I used a canister with an extending tube. I used Redline MT90. I am surprised new oil made such a difference in shifting, especially going in second down from third.

Martin
Martin Scherz
Late S2 1970 OTS US LHD

Link:
BBcode: Gearbox oil filler? KE gearbox[/url]" title="Click to select post’s link in BBcode format" onclick="this.focus();this.select();" />
HTML: Gearbox oil filler? KE gearbox" title="Click to select post’s link in HTML format" onclick="this.focus();this.select();" />
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Grant
Great Britain

#3 Re: Gearbox oil filler? KE gearbox

Post by Grant » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:53 pm

Hi Martin

thank you for your reply and yes I can see what you mean it looks like its going to be easier from underneath, its a shame they did not put an access plug both sides , I guess the rubber plug must have been for the original gearbox.

thanks again.

Grant.
Series 2 OTS LHD

Link:
Hide post links
Show post links

Williamss
Australia

#4 Re: Gearbox oil filler? KE gearbox

Post by Williamss » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:34 pm

Hi all. I know this thread is a few years old, but does anyone know the part number for this gearbox access hole bung? Mine has deteriorated badly.
By the way my 1969 2+2 RHD has single hole/bung on the LHS with filling hole on the RHS.
I am about to put MT-90 oil in the gearbox. Looking forward to an improvement after reading comments here.
Steve W
Steve W
1969 Ser II 2+2

Link:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#5 Re: Gearbox oil filler? KE gearbox

Post by mgcjag » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:41 pm

Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
Hide post links
Show post links

Williamss
Australia

#6 Re: Gearbox oil filler? KE gearbox

Post by Williamss » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:08 pm

Thanks Steve
Steve W
1969 Ser II 2+2

Link:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic