Help in selecting seats for Series 1 4.2 FHC

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
davrix

#1 Help in selecting seats for Series 1 4.2 FHC

Post by davrix » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:46 pm

Hi, I am looking for any recommendations on what seats to fit to my Competition E Type FHC ( currently it has only one ; and I would like to fit a pair). One key consideration is to get maximum leg and headroom, as it's a tight squeeze to fit in the car already! Any advice appreciated. David
Learning loads about E Types! Looking forward to getting off the wooden blocks and back onto 4 wheels!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andyp

Post by andyp » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:08 am

Hi David

This is going to have to be a bit of a compromise. A thinly padded aluminium racing seat from the likes of Lynx will give you the most room but I wouldn't want to go touring on one.

Basically comfort equals padding and that takes up space.

So two questions - how big are you and what are you planning on doing with the car?

Andy
1966 2+2 MOD Conversion

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
davrix

Post by davrix » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:44 pm

Hi Andy,
I'm over 6'1 tall, so the legs are getting in the way - i may try extending the pedal box further forward - or even the angle of the pedals, and putting a dome in the roof - bit that's a bit impractical. Initially i am indending to do some track days in the car .. and attend a few local events like the JEC london to brighton. not sure what after that - probably not long distance touring ...
Learning loads about E Types! Looking forward to getting off the wooden blocks and back onto 4 wheels!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andyp

Post by andyp » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:41 pm

Hi David

Sounds like you are about the same size as me - I've got a 2+2 so my head just clears the roof and the extra length is useful.

I'm sure you'll manage with a lower seat. I'd be tempted to look at some of the GRP shelled aftermarket seats aimed at the boy racers - you can get recliners which mean you can adjust the rake. Don't worry about the looks just get something that fits and then get it re-trimmed to match the car.

Andy
1966 2+2 MOD Conversion

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

harryetype

Post by harryetype » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:08 pm

Boys

I think you've been spoilt with modern luxury

I'm 6ft 3" and I fit both leg wise and head wise. I had a early flat floor Roadster which was a bit tight with the roof up and I looked like Noddy with it down.

Are you sure the seat goes as far back as it should? and have the seats recently been retrimmed as they seem to be high when they have.

Harry

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
davrix

Post by davrix » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:13 pm

Hi, I found the solution to the seats to give me some headroom and legroom. Kirkham competition seats from Canada! Had to have the wings cut off, and the trimming redone, Advantage is the headroom gained, as the seat cushion is only 1cm from the floor. Disadvantage : not much seat cushioning! Now working on the other things .....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic