Ignition Coil

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
dooley1414
Great Britain

#1 Ignition Coil

Post by dooley1414 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:15 am

Hi everyone I have an imported 1972 V12 5.3 series 3.... which I am re-commissioning.... I am now i. The process of starting her but now can't start her which I could before.... was a year ago though.... new plugs in.... dizzy cap and rotor arm looks ok.... going to change the Coil as the date stamped on the bottom says 1971.... but can't seem to find the same one the code on the bottom is.... 13 C 12.... anyone know if there is a replacement that will ne suitable? The Car has been converted to electronic ignition. The other picture is the electronic ignition amplifier.... or whatever you call it.... anyones help will be most helpfull.... Des.

Ex. Texas Import 1971 Series 3 V12
Des. Suffolk.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: Ignition Coil

Post by cactusman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:45 pm

I would be looking at the ballast resistor first. Brother has an Xj 5.3C with the V12 and he had start issues that turned out to be bad connections around the (over) complicated ballast resistor. Coils do fail but it is rare.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#3 Re: Ignition Coil

Post by Hugo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:32 pm

If you have a 12 volt coil you shouldn't have a ballast resistor, and vice versa. The resistor needs a 9 volt coil I think. It should still start however, but it may not run very well if you are only feeding 9 volts (or is it 7?) into a 12 volt coil.
Hugo Miller - rebuilding an imported Series II OTS & converting to RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic