steering column bushes

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
adam
Great Britain

#1 steering column bushes

Post by adam » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:09 pm

Hi can anyone tell me which bushes i need. My car chassis number is 861007 jaguar parts book lists c20090 upper bush c20091 lower bush. sng dont seem to list them, only felt for 3.8 or plastic 4.2 but not the later 3.8. Thanks Adam.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Car-Nut

#2 Re: steering column bushes

Post by Car-Nut » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:38 pm

adam wrote:Hi can anyone tell me which bushes i need. My car chassis number is 861007 jaguar parts book lists c20090 upper bush c20091 lower bush. sng dont seem to list them, only felt for 3.8 or plastic 4.2 but not the later 3.8. Thanks Adam.
They sell a lot of parts they dont list, ring up and speak to the lads on the phone s they are very helpfull, I often explain what I need and they find the code :wink:

Good Luck :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:45 pm

Adam

The 3.8's had felt bushes, 4.2's had elastolan (plastic) bushes but it changed during 3.8 production. Check your upper steering column as the elastolan (aka Vulkollan) bushes had a dimple and corresponding holes in the column. I can give you more detail tomorrow in the light of less wine! The elastolan bushes have their own problems - I could write a book! :roll:
Last edited by Heuer on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
adam
Great Britain

Post by adam » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:29 pm

From 860863 they changed the Bushes and these are the ones I am looking for. Are they the 'Vulkollan' material and same as the 4.2?

Thanks
Adam

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moeregaard
United States of America

Post by Moeregaard » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:25 am

At least the plastic bushes are available. Back in the bad, old days of the mid-1980s, these things were on perpetual backorder. I finally turned a set from Delrin, pressed them in and never looked back. If you have access to a small lathe these things aren't worth losing any sleep over.
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:06 am

You need the plastic (Vulkollan or Elastollan) bushes c20090/1 as used on the 4.2. Can I suggest though you consider the following before planning the work.

Many people complain about lateral and vertical play in the E-Type's steering column but it is designed to be there, certainly when the car is cold. Get everything up to temperature and you will find the play disappears - basically the steering column parts expand as they get hot. Put in replacement bushes and you have a steering column with no play when the car is cold but squeaking or stiff steering when the car is hot. This can reach the point of losing self centering. The 'fix' is to install new Vulkollan bushes but then use a Dremel to sand down the inner surface to maintain the correct clearance. This is not an easy job as the Vulkollan/Elastollan is pretty tough and being flexible resists sanding. So first job is to get the car really hot and then check for play in the column. Usually the bushes are OK as they are very tough.

The other thing to consider is the two u/j joints in the column are far more likely to be affecting the steering than the bushes. The originals were sealed for life but their position - near the engine and in the footwell opposite the heater flap - means they dry out and wear. If you are going to service the column you may as well replace both the u/j's as they are cheap and relatively easy to do. The replacements also have a grease nipple for future maintenance. You only replace the journals not the yokes. All you need is a pair of circlip pliers, vice and a suitably sized hex socket to use as a press. The yokes should move smoothly throughout their range, but not loosely or stiff, so checking them is an easy test. You will not believe how much difference new u/j's will make to the steering feel.

Final point to remember when dismantling the steering column - the horn electrical connection is made through it. Fairly simple but delicate so write down or photograph the disassembly because it is a bit of a jigsaw and you may end up with no horn which means stripping it all down again. SNG sell a horn overhaul kit although it lacks two small parts - the plastic contact holders C8158 x2 - so take care not to lose or break the originals.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Echezeaux

Post by Echezeaux » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:14 pm

David is right, I found out myself the hard way, in a cold morning, plenty of free play, leave the car under the sun, too tight and squeaky,I dismantled the steering column 3 times before being quite happy with the free play and the steering shaft diameter race is not even consistent and quite off center too !! So be careful when you re adjust the finger for the turn signal cancellor !

Thierry
3.8 RULES

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather,not screaming and terrified like his passengers.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:46 pm

Good point Thierry, forgot to mention the turn indicator. The striker needs to be set correctly or you will have indicators which cancel one way but not the other. Also watch out on the indicator stalk itself as the two spring actuated 'fingers' are each held on by a small brass press-in rivet. These can easily work their way loose and drop out (no spares are available). If they are loose take them out and put a drop of super glue or lock-nut sealant on and press back in.

Finally, when you put it all back together, check the clearance between steering wheel and indicator shrouds (alloy on early cars, plastic later) otherwise it may chafe which usually ends up with the clip-on shroud falling off as you are driving and sliding beneath the pedals :shock:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:19 pm

Another point - refer to the parts manual before you start work as the diagram is very good. Shame we don't know anyone with a soft copy of the parts manual in pdf format who also has the correct screen capture software (PicPick) so a picture could be grabbed and posted in the thread to make things simpler, eh Clive. :wink:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
adam
Great Britain

Post by adam » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:31 pm

Hi thanks for the advice,i had the problem of some movement of column when cold hardly any when car warm. So thats normal.On another note just picked up a copy of classic cars for sale,found pictures of my car just before i bought it in the jaguar e type assessment section.Looks much cleaner now.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nick
Great Britain

Post by Nick » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:01 pm

Hi, I have about a sixteenth inch up-down movement (1.5mm) in the steering column,measured cold under the dash between the first U/J and the end of the metal column surround (s1 4.2). I had an advisory at the MoT about the wear. Given the complexity I'm just weighing up whether to replace the bushes or leave them ('it ain't broke don't fix it'). I also have a steering column ignition lock to add to the complexity.

What amount of movement is excessive do you think ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Car-Nut

Post by Car-Nut » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:04 pm

Heuer wrote:Another point - refer to the parts manual before you start work as the diagram is very good. Shame we don't know anyone with a soft copy of the parts manual in pdf format who also has the correct screen capture software (PicPick) so a picture could be grabbed and posted in the thread to make things simpler, eh Clive. :wink:
Guys,

I have the 3.8 & 4.2 copy :wink:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dan219
United States of America

#13 Re:

Post by Dan219 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:33 pm

Heuer wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:06 am
Many people complain about lateral and vertical play in the E-Type's steering column but it is designed to be there, certainly when the car is cold.
Hi everyone. I am experiencing some noticeable vertical play with my steering wheel (1967 S1 OTS). Beased on the above, I wonder if I should be doing anything about it. Approximately, what is the maximum play I should tolerate without getting concerned that something else is going on? Thank you!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#14 Re: steering column bushes

Post by abowie » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:41 pm

Dan there really shouldn't be any noticeable play in the steering column.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Philk
Great Britain

#15 Re: steering column bushes

Post by Philk » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:07 pm

A few years ago, I put new plastic bushes (C23952/3) in the steering column of my late model S1 3.8 without knowing about the possible side-effect of metal expansion. Whilst it is not too bad, the column definitely stiffens up with the effect of heat-soak. I've left things alone in the hope that as the car is used more, things would improve as the bushes wear. However, it hasn't (I'm guessing that the bushes are extremely durable!).

Having looked again into this, I can see that SNG are selling felt bushes (part nos. C10264 and C20149). Does anyone have any experience of using these (I've heard that they should be soaked in oil prior to use)? Does the problem of heat expansion go away ? Also, can they be fitted on a late model 3.8 which has the revised upper steering column assembly and which would have had Vulkollan bushes in the day? I can see from the parts catalogue that there were washers and spring clips holding the felt bearings in place but these part numbers (C10790 and C10788) do not seem to be available from the usual suppliers.

If I can't use the felt washers, I'll have to revert to filing the plastic bearings but am mindful of the various posts regarding this task!
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic