Brake and clutch cylinders

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
rubyfloriley
Great Britain

#1 Brake and clutch cylinders

Post by rubyfloriley » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:51 pm

I read i think on here that its better to get NOS clutch and brake cylinders, master and slave cylinders etc.
I have bought a new servo but unsure whether to get new cylinders of the shelf as i have not seen any NOS around.
An alternative is to have the existing ones restored by a good company only about 25 miles away that have done work for me on similar aged stuff.

So my questions,

1, Can any one show me where to buy NOS
2, Would the restored cylinders be a better option than new off the shelf items advice please.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: Brake and clutch cylinders

Post by cactusman » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:35 pm

I have bought replacement clutch and brake masters, brake from the UK and clutch from Xk's unlimited. They are fine. If your old ones are badly pitted they will need machining and sleeves fitted. Will the cost justify. Slave clutch cylinders are really not expensive and almost invisible once fitted. Note if you have a 3.8 the two brake masters have different part numbers and are not the same although they look visually identical.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#3 Re: Brake and clutch cylinders

Post by abowie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:00 pm

1. Unlikely after 50 years.
2. Resleeving your originals in stainless is good as you end up with an original looking cylinder that has the correct internal components and has the holes for the pipes pointing in the right direction. It is however more expensive than buying the acceptable copies provided by various sellers.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic