Stale petrol

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#1 Stale petrol

Post by mgcjag » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:57 am

Hi All.....just drained an old petrol tank of 30lt of old rust stained petrol......now need to dispose of it...too bad to use in the mower (wont use it till next year anyway)...local refuse center wont accept it......dont like haveing this much hanging around in cans....is there anything that can be added to it to make it less explosive.... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JagWaugh
Switzerland

#2 Re: Stale petrol

Post by JagWaugh » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:38 am

Ask at a local garage. We use drained petrol for cleaning oil spots off the concrete floor, wiping out the oil drain pan, and as a general pre clean solvent. Failing that, ask at your local RAC - they collect a surprising amount of gasoline which has been tanked in diesel cars, which they then process in bulk quantities.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#3 Re: Stale petrol

Post by christopher storey » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:21 pm

Steve : I store larger quantities of flammables ( mainly thinners which I sometimes buy in 25 ltr cans - I use it for cleaning a lot ) outside the garage, in 5 litre cans , in a galvanised dustbin . This does not help you dispose of it, but ... have you considered letting it settle so that any water drops to the bottom, and then filtering it for use a little at a time - say 5 litres - as a top up for normal car use i.e. "diluting" it with current fresh petrol?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Stale petrol

Post by mgcjag » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:28 pm

Thanks Guys....yes Christopher..thats probably the way to go.....iv got an old galvanised dustbin...so can store it away from the house/ garages......I was a bit caught out.....its an old XK6 ....lucky i was ready with a couple of buckets..as soon as i put the spanner on the drain bolt head, the bottom of the sump fell out....it was held in by silicon......the whole lot came out in a few seconds.....
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic