Driveshaft UJs

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
christopher storey
Great Britain

#1 Driveshaft UJs

Post by christopher storey » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:02 pm

Whilst overhauling rear brakes on my FHC, I found the whole apparatus stiff to turn in certain parts of the rotation. Then I noticed this ( same on the Inner UJs on both sides )

On dismantling I found that the UJ was seized solid in one plane . Has anyone ever had this before ?

And should I shell out £70 X 2 , SNGB deluxe, or £13.80 X 2 , SNGB el cheapo ??

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mich7920
France

#2 Re: Driveshaft UJs

Post by Mich7920 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi Christopher,

Before ordering new parts, I take off the old one to see if they hadn't destoy a part of the driveshaft.
For the price of the parts in general, there is too much topic with guys who said the repro are bad to buy some cheap one!
It's of course more expensive when it's not built in China.

Mich
Michel
1965 E Type FHC - On the road / 1963 E Type OTS - on the road after Angus Restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#3 Re: Driveshaft UJs

Post by angelw » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Hello Christopher,
Source the UJ from a bearing supplier. I buy top brand name UJs for this area and Tail Shaft UJs in Australia for AUD18.40 each.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Driveshaft UJs

Post by mgcjag » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:38 am

Hi Christopher....i need a set for another project.....was looking on the SNG site and they have 3 options this one the middle option is OEM shown by the # after the part number... http://www.sngbarratt.com/ProductDetail ... 7fc6bf&l=7 £27.60 inc
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#5 Re: Driveshaft UJs

Post by Hugo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:13 am

No grease nipples? I would get the measurements & cross-refer them to Hardy-Spicer or a similar reputable manufacturer. I have noticed there is a difference between manufacturers in the way the seal is located - it has to be able to steer the water that is flung out by centrifugal force past the outside of the bearing cup - not into it!
I have a very short propshaft on my coaches & they sometimes do this, so I've learned from experience.
Hugo Miller - rebuilding an imported Series II OTS & converting to RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
christopher storey
Great Britain

#6 Re: Driveshaft UJs

Post by christopher storey » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:46 pm

Thanks to all for the help. In the end, having spoken to SNGB, and discovered that although they push the OEM ones, they have had no complaints about the cheap ones, being a skinflint i have ordered 2 lots of the cheapos. I'll let you know how I get on - anything has to be better than the totally seized joints , the like of which I've never seen before in nearly 60 years of fiddling with cars !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ETTony
Great Britain

#7 Re: Driveshaft UJs

Post by ETTony » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:01 pm

FWIW I would replace all 4 UJ's while faffing with the drive shafts.
:wink:
Tony in Devon
1967 Series 1, 4.2, OTS, RHD, Black.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#8 Re: Driveshaft UJs

Post by rswaffie » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:03 pm

I've just replaced all drive shafts & pop shaft U/J's and found Bailey Morris to be a good source of both parts and knowledge - they had other classic props in for work. If you know the part nos. or specs then that helps, but they can source if you don't know. They also balanced my prop shaft after I had replaced the u/j's. They weren't too far from me either so I could pop down and see the whites of their eyes!
http://baileymorris.co.uk/
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#9 Re: Driveshaft UJs

Post by Hugo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:53 pm

Don't know about these, but in the past I've come across some very strange dimensions for u/j's. They don't always come in round numbers or sensible fractions, either in inches or in Napoleonic measures.
Hugo Miller - rebuilding an imported Series II OTS & converting to RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
christopher storey
Great Britain

#10 Re: Driveshaft UJs

Post by christopher storey » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:55 pm

Well, Hugo, for anyone who wants the specs, they are GKN 18200 or Hardy Spicer HS 179, and the dimensions are 30.2 mm X 106.3 mm

I may say that getting the ( I think 52 year old ) ones out was a nightmare . We tried the scientific methods with vices etc first , ( and with nearly 250 lb/ft applied to the handle I budged one just about 3mm ) and then resorted to the BFH which was more effective . I have yet to be brave enough to try and put the new ones in :roll:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#11 Re: Driveshaft UJs

Post by mgcjag » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:07 pm

Hi Christopher.....be wary of fitting the circlips....some of the new ones appear to be stamped out so one side has slightly rounded edges.....so dont grip in the recess very well...Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JagWaugh
Switzerland

#12 Re: Driveshaft UJs

Post by JagWaugh » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:23 pm

The last couple of driveshafts I have taken to the local GKN shop. It costs a bit, but they are done within 48 hours: Genuine GKN joints, with zerks, properly fitted clips, painted, balanced.

One I dropped off at about 15:00, he called me just before lunch the following day to say I could pick them up at 16:30.

Probably worth considering if you're not all that familiar with fitting U/Js, or even just to be sure that the balance is ok.

Next time I'll probably wait until I've checked the hub spacers, then take the full set.
Last edited by JagWaugh on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#13 Re: Driveshaft UJs

Post by Series1 Stu » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:12 pm

I had to take an angle grinder to one of my UJ's and carefully grind a journal out. That then allowed the main part of the spider with the 3 free journals to fall out and made it possible to remove the troublesome 4th journal.

It wouldn't be as much fun if it was all plain sailing....

Regards

The Jaguar manual suggested method is hilarious. Although I'm sure it would work fine if you installed the joint no more than 5 minutes before removing it.
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
christopher storey
Great Britain

#14 Re: Driveshaft UJs

Post by christopher storey » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:08 pm

mgcjag wrote:be wary of fitting the circlips....some of the new ones appear to be stamped out so one side has slightly rounded edges.....so dont grip in the recess very well

Steve : Thanks for the warning ; I shall have a look at them under magnification and see if I can spot the sharp side

and Stuart : if all else failed the grinder ( or my pal's milling machine ) was the next resort !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

phil.dobson@mac.com
Great Britain

#15 Re: Driveshaft UJs

Post by phil.dobson@mac.com » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:32 am

I also had issues with the circlips. flipping nightmare! fortunately I had some of the original type from previous exercises so used them. Not sure why someone decided to improve on a circlip design that had been in existence since God was a boy. You might also give Rob Beere a call as he advertise 'upgraded u/j's
Best regards

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic