Alternative to Kenlowe Thermostat ?

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
rfs1957
France

#1 Alternative to Kenlowe Thermostat ?

Post by rfs1957 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:02 pm

I had various issues with the standard Kenlowe thermostat a couple of years ago and baulked at the cost I was being asked to pay for a new one, when I've never been that impressed with the quality of finish.

I had seen these alternative ones for sale here for £17

http://www.bbclassics.co.uk/coolingfans.html

which didn't actually inspire me very much, but after a bit of snooping around came to the conclusion that they were actually quite high-end industrial products from a reputable Korean manufacturer, so took a punt and ordered a couple.

The quality looked excellent, the capilliary much finer and easier to seal, and I've now been using this one for a couple of years with complete success.

Indeed they now seem to be available from all sorts of sources, to the extent that I couldn't actually find a Kenlowe one when I was looking for the current price, so maybe they've become the new norm.

The only downside is that as supplied there was no support-plate or bracket, and that took a while to get right and neat.

I fitted mine right next to the headlamp relays on the left-front wheel valance and feed it directly off the "bus-bar" fuse-box I have fitted to the starter solenoid so that the wiring is as direct and simple as possible.

See link here : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5214

The capilliary is still way too long but coils up neatly.

Rory
3.8 OTS Cream 877393 Built May 28th 1962
1978 Mini Van
(plus bevel and belt single-cylinder Ducatis)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links