Cleaning gauges

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
HarryW

#1 Cleaning gauges

Post by HarryW » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:25 pm

I've taken my temperature gauge out as it's a bit dusty inside. My understanding is that you twist the bezel to line up against the slots in the body to release the glass. The bezel is solid, however, won't turn and I don't want to be too severe in handling it. Any advice welcome :?
HarryW
'66 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#2 Re: Cleaning gauges

Post by 1954Etype » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:36 pm

HarryW wrote:I've taken my temperature gauge out as it's a bit dusty inside. My understanding is that you twist the bezel to line up against the slots in the body to release the glass. The bezel is solid, however, won't turn and I don't want to be too severe in handling it. Any advice welcome :?
Harry,

there should be a rubber that goes between the bezel and the dash. Remove that (big 'O' ring). You will now see 3 tabs that are bent over. If you carefully prise those up a little bit, it will remove the tension of the bezel. Turn the bezel so the tabs line up with the indentations on the gauge and it should come apart easily.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:05 pm

Everything Angus says + be careful when you take the bezel off as the glass will drop out, quickly followed by the dial face which may bend the needle. Once you have the bezel in the correct position keep the gauge face up and then begin to dismantle.
Last edited by Heuer on Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
HarryW

Post by HarryW » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:12 pm

Angus and David,
Many thanks for that. The 'O' ring came out with the dial and was indeed indistinguishable from it - so I couldn't see the tabs. I loosened these and it was still stuck; after prising gently round the circumference it did come loose. There seemed to be the remnants of a thin black substance -some kind of seal between glass and body? It was quite hard and some of it stuck to the glass ( and crumbled off easily) :woowoo: Another small but satisfying victory in the war against Time :thanx:
HarryW
'66 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:14 pm

Harry

I think there is a rubber seal between the glass and case to stop the former rattling against the latter.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

Post by 1954Etype » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:28 pm

Heuer wrote:Harry

I think there is a rubber seal between the glass and case to stop the former rattling against the latter.
Agreed. I bought a length of spongey rubber to replace it from

http://www.jdo10.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/page26.html

here.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic