Instrument bezel replacement advice please.

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
288gto
Russia

#1 Instrument bezel replacement advice please.

Post by 288gto » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:17 pm

I'm in the process of replacing the bezels on the instruments and need some advice from someone who has already done this.

The question is, do I fold the bezel tabs over first with the glass in place and then twist the glass and bezel onto the gauge?

OR

Do I offer the bezel and glass up to the gauge and then fold the tabs over?

Hopefully this will make sense to someone who has already done this.

This and any other advice regarding the fitting of the bezels greatly appreciated as I can see broken glass and mangled bezels looming. :scratchheadyellow:

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

neal herridge
Great Britain

#2 Re: Instrument bezel replacement advice please.

Post by neal herridge » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:32 pm

Hi Simon.
Its best to fit the glass to the bezels first & then twist them on to the instrument case.
With the small instruments you can get the glass in the bezel with the tags turned over first.
With the speedo etc you will have to place the glass in the bezel & then bend down the tags, then twist the assy. on to the case .
Don't forget the O rings in the bezels, if you have to replace them I used O ring cord & just glued it together.
You will have to adjust the amount you bend down the tags so that you can rotate the bezel on the case.
Neal.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
288gto
Russia

#3 Re: Instrument bezel replacement advice please.

Post by 288gto » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:50 pm

:thankyouyellow:

Thanks for that Neal, I will now go back in the garage with renewed confidence and enthusiasm. :fingerscrossed:

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barry
Great Britain

#4 Re: Instrument bezel replacement advice please.

Post by Barry » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:47 am

Hi Simon,
A project I am actually doing at the moment. Because the E-type bezels are round and not V shaped, they are almost impossible to get hold of. So I decided to re-paint the existing one’s. I completed the re-painting yesterday with Autoglym Satin Black (recommended on this forum) and the finish is perfect. I bought a new set of 2” and 5” rubber ring seals to provide a good fit to the dash. In the same kit, I also bought a 1 metre roll of 3mm and 4mm sponge sealer to go inside the bezel. These are readily available via sales@autoelectricalspares.co.uk
Hope this helps!
Best
Barry

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#5 Re: Instrument bezel replacement advice please.

Post by johnetype » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:35 am

I found the bezels and glass on my speedo and rev counter a very tight fit with new foam seals. If you bend up slightly the leading edge of each of the tabs that provides a lead-in that helps you as you try to rotate the bezel.

I was concerned about bending/breaking the glass so I placed the gauges facing down on a flat surface (table with a towel on top), held the bezel stationary and pressed down on the back of the gauge and rotated at the same time. I hope that makes sense.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
288gto
Russia

#6 Re: Instrument bezel replacement advice please.

Post by 288gto » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:26 pm

Thanks chaps,

I've successfully done two gauges now including the rev counter.
Giving the tabs a very slight upturn on the leading edge does help guide them on. You can then push them down flat once the bezel is rotated into position.

Face down on a flat surface with a soft cloth is also excellent advice.

I also placed a small piece of masking tape on the outside face of the glass so that I knew I could handle that side and still be able to wipe finger prints off, unlike the inside.

The Rev counter is now back in place and I'm pretty pleased. It's surprising what a difference a relatively inexpensive job makes.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic