Crankshaft damper source and balancing

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
PhilBell
Great Britain

#1 Crankshaft damper source and balancing

Post by PhilBell » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:31 pm

While checking beneath the front of my engine for water leaks I noticed that much of the rubber part of the crankshaft damper has broken away so I obviously need a new one.

My Jaguar manual says I should mark the damper and pulley before removal because they are supplied as a balanced pair and must go back in the same orientation afterwards. So presumably I need to get my new damper balanced with my old crank pulley. Anyone done this?

And given that my damper is disintegrating 9 years/20,000 miles after the car was restored (the damper appears to be a replacement rather than original) I'd welcome advice on damper makes/suppliers to choose/avoid.
Phil
1962 FHC 885626

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#2 Re: Crankshaft damper source and balancing

Post by Hugo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:41 pm

I have no personal experience of replacement dampers - I was lucky with mine as it was still serviceable. All I will say is you don't want those things coming off; they are heavy and go round very fast! As for balancing in combination with the pulley, they may have done this at the factory but I somehow doubt whether it is common practice today.
Hugo Miller - rebuilding an imported Series II OTS & converting to RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

splosh
Great Britain

#3 Re: Crankshaft damper source and balancing

Post by splosh » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:59 pm

I replaced mine in September last year on a 61 3.8.
Got it from the Jag Shop and can say it is well made.
I didn't get it balanced then, but have just stripped the engine over the winter and got it balanced with the crank and new flywheel.
Incidentally, it had balance holes drilled into it when I bought it new, so should be balanced itself as a separate unit when manufactured !! ??
Clive
August 1961 Flat floor ots

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic