tap and Die

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
elcinghio
Italy

#1 tap and Die

Post by elcinghio » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:16 am

Good morning, I have recently bought a 66 jaguar e type fhc series 1 to restore. I should have it in one month and i ll do the restoration by my self, beeing a mechanic. I would buy the correct tap and die set for this car but I am quite confused on which are the right ones among UNC, bsf, withworth, bsw. Or either. My car will need a complete and deep restoration: frames, chassis and engine.
Many thanks in advance.
Alessio Jag S1 66 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: tap and Die

Post by christopher storey » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:34 am

The vast majority of the fixings are UNF . There are small numbers of studs which go into alloy ( mostly those which go into the cylinder head e.g. manifold studs ) which are UNC on the end that goes into the alloy and UNF on the nut end. I suggest you get initially a set of UNF to which you could add 2 or 3 UNC taps ( it's not generally worth trying to repair studs so dies are less useful ) - the most useful sizes are 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 with the 5/16 being the most used . The only Whitworth size you are likely to encounter is the camshaft chain tensioner securing nut ( Whitworth and BSW are the same ) and the BSF or BA sizes are generally on carburetters , armrest fixings to the doors and similar for which thread repair is not often needed

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: tap and Die

Post by mgcjag » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:41 am

Hi Welcom to the forum....whats your name....please try to put it with your car model in as a signature....great car enjoy your restoration... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robsan
Great Britain

#4 Re: tap and Die

Post by Robsan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:12 am

I bought this................ thoroughly recommend

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional- ... SwnDZULDnZ

be quick :-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
elcinghio
Italy

#5 Re: tap and Die

Post by elcinghio » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:08 pm

Many many thanks guys!! I am Alessio. It a pleasure to enter in the Jag world!! and in this forum too!!
Alessio Jag S1 66 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paulsco
Great Britain

#6 Re: tap and Die

Post by paulsco » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:02 pm

Hi Alessio and welcome.

Just a word of warning; all UNF/UNC tap and die sets are not equal.

I have two different makes; only one can be used, the other would cut the wrong thread :roll:

My advice would be stick with a good make.

Paul
65 Series 1 FHC, 68 Jaguar 340

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moeregaard
United States of America

#7 Re: tap and Die

Post by Moeregaard » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:52 pm

paulsco wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:02 pm
Hi Alessio and welcome.

Just a word of warning; all UNF/UNC tap and die sets are not equal.

I have two different makes; only one can be used, the other would cut the wrong thread :roll:

My advice would be stick with a good make.

Paul
Here in the U.S.,where Imperial units still reign supreme, the two best names in taps and dies are Brubaker and L & I. With over 30 years of manual machining experience under my belt, I've found these to be the best. Another good brand is carried under the Irwin name, who are the parent company for Vise Grip pliers and other tools, and which might be easier to find in the U.K. and Europe.
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robsan
Great Britain

#8 Re: tap and Die

Post by Robsan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:54 pm

Alesso,

Just to clarify,,,,,,,,
The tap and die set I recommeneded contains both UNF and UNC threads, and both in the standard and appropriate sizes for the Jaguar E type.

I said it was good because I have used my set extensivly. The thread metal on the taps and dies continues to stay sharp and bright, even though some have been used several hundred times :-)

As for................. bsf, withworth, bsw [that is whitworth, British Standard Whitworth BSW]. hardly any at all on the old Jag

Hope I havent confused you ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

valerea
Great Britain

#9 Re: tap and Die

Post by valerea » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:47 pm

I went through this and was surprised by the considerable variation in quality and inevitably price!

Eventually I went for the Clarke UNC/UNF set and its met all my needs for a reasonable cost

Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
elcinghio
Italy

#10 Re: tap and Die

Post by elcinghio » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:50 am

Perfect! now I go for one of your suggested set! I knew yesterday that the car will arrive in a couple of month :waiting: .. I really want to start with it!! In the meanwhile I prepare the most usable stuff ready to begin as soon it arrives!!
Any guess on the monst used wrenches/tools to menage the engine restoration? Sorry I am used to metrics and I have not so many experience in specific jag tools.
Alessio Jag S1 66 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#11 Re: tap and Die

Post by mgcjag » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:02 am

Hi...whats you name....you will need AF sockets/spanners........a basic 1/2 drive AF Socket set and set of ring spanners is a good start.........also a ball joint seperator like this will be needed https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laser-Tools- ... SwOtdYVACc you may need a metric spanner for the seperator.... .Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Kember17
Great Britain

#12 Re: tap and Die

Post by Kember17 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:50 am

Alessio,

This is a bit difficult as most E type owners in the UK and US are gentlemen of, ahem, a certain age who have acquired tools over the years or inherited them from their fathers and uncles. I have shed full of tools which I did not buy! And since the seventies, we have been increasingly infected by metric so imperial-only is getting hard to find except second hand on eBay.

When I have come up short on a particular fitting I use this chap who does mail order - http://www.baconsdozen.co.uk. IMO he is very good value and completely reliable.

However, I am unable to walk past a hardware store without buying something. I also have two homes in different countries, so I tend to double up on kits, or at least justify their purchase to my wife on those grounds...

Will you be buying in the UK or buying remotely? Some offers require you to be in store.

I have in whatever car I'm driving, and like, the Laser 3571 42pc Alldrive (IIRC around £120) - this is a good all round kit with spline, star, AF, metric and Whitworth attachments, and the ability to procure extra pieces in those standards. The set includes 17 half-inch drive sockets and 19 30mm-long bits, plus a 72-tooth oval ratchet, extension bars and universal joint. There is also more basic kit at around £45.

Alternatively, for the shed, especially when it has one of its many promotions, the Halfords Advanced Professional 150 piece set is very good value (around £100 in most sales but I bought mine for £35) - (www.halfords.com). There are bigger multi-drawer sets, often on offer, too, if you happen to be in the UK at the right time with a car to drive the cabinet back in, or if you can persuade someone to obtain one for you for when you can do so. Please note that many people (including professional mechanics) in the UK swear by the Advanced Professional range but do not rate the normal Halfords stuff so well.

Where in Italy are you? I understand that it is not practical not to have your own set of tools at hand but I might be able to help out/lend tools in an emergency. I live near Stresa (VB) for about half of the year.

Peter
Peter

1966 LHD US Import Series 1 2+2 (undergoing full restoration)
1991 LHD Alfa Spider Series 4
2015 Porsche Panamera S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#13 Re: tap and Die

Post by mgcjag » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:54 am

Hi Peter...the 3571 set has no AF sockets....they are all metric.......far better to start with an AF socket set.... Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Kember17
Great Britain

#14 Re: tap and Die

Post by Kember17 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:03 pm

mgcjag wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:54 am
Hi Peter...the 3571 set has no AF sockets....they are all metric.......far better to start with an AF socket set.... Steve
Steve,

Thanks. You are quite right.

I'm obviously going senile! I must have bought a couple of clips of Whitworth etc sockets at the same time.

Peter
Peter

2015 Porsche Panamera S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
elcinghio
Italy

#15 Re: tap and Die

Post by elcinghio » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:05 pm

Kember17 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:50 am
Alessio,

This is a bit difficult as most E type owners in the UK and US are gentlemen of, ahem, a certain age who have acquired tools over the years or inherited them from their fathers and uncles. I have shed full of tools which I did not buy! And since the seventies, we have been increasingly infected by metric so imperial-only is getting hard to find except second hand on eBay.

When I have come up short on a particular fitting I use this chap who does mail order - http://www.baconsdozen.co.uk. IMO he is very good value and completely reliable.

However, I am unable to walk past a hardware store without buying something. I also have two homes in different countries, so I tend to double up on kits, or at least justify their purchase to my wife on those grounds...

Will you be buying in the UK or buying remotely? Some offers require you to be in store.

I have in whatever car I'm driving, and like, the Laser 3571 42pc Alldrive (IIRC around £120) - this is a good all round kit with spline, star, AF, metric and Whitworth attachments, and the ability to procure extra pieces in those standards. The set includes 17 half-inch drive sockets and 19 30mm-long bits, plus a 72-tooth oval ratchet, extension bars and universal joint. There is also more basic kit at around £45.

Alternatively, for the shed, especially when it has one of its many promotions, the Halfords Advanced Professional 150 piece set is very good value (around £100 in most sales but I bought mine for £35) - (www.halfords.com). There are bigger multi-drawer sets, often on offer, too, if you happen to be in the UK at the right time with a car to drive the cabinet back in, or if you can persuade someone to obtain one for you for when you can do so. Please note that many people (including professional mechanics) in the UK swear by the Advanced Professional range but do not rate the normal Halfords stuff so well.

Where in Italy are you? I understand that it is not practical not to have your own set of tools at hand but I might be able to help out/lend tools in an emergency. I live near Stresa (VB) for about half of the year.

Peter
I Peter!! many thanks for the exhaustive guesses. Actually I am as you. Everytime I pass in front an hw shop I would like to buy everything. But is difficult to find something in inch here. I had a garage in the past but after my father retired and I started with another job. But in both remains the passion for the cars!! Actually I live very near to you. In luino. Just other side of the lake. Thanks I try to order something online, but in case I will ask you!
Alessio Jag S1 66 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Kember17
Great Britain

#16 Re: tap and Die

Post by Kember17 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:21 pm

Ah, so a short drive from the Verbania ferry at Laveno. Close enough if you need to borrow some tools in a hurry. We should meet. I'm leaving for London this weekend but I'll be around in late March. My 1966 2+2 is in the UK at the moment but is being kept LHD so that it will live in Italy.

There is a Dutch gentleman (JD-JAG66) on here too, near Torino, who has helped me in the past. IIRC he also is restoring a 1966 2+2 but is much more advanced than me. Mine is still having bits cut out and new bits welded in!

Peter
Peter

2015 Porsche Panamera S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
elcinghio
Italy

#17 Re: tap and Die

Post by elcinghio » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:05 am

Of course it would be nice!! write me when you around!
Alessio Jag S1 66 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#18 Re: tap and Die

Post by chrisfell » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:29 am

For the last forty years or so, the only tools every mechanic I have known, from those who taught my school friends how to hold a spanner at the age of 16 right up to my son doing his apprenticeship, have used were Snap-On. Yup, the same tools used by Merkins. They are robust, designed to be used daily and to last the whole of the mechanic's life, expensive, and (importantly for the young and underpaid apprentice) available on payment terms.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

#19 Re: tap and Die

Post by rfs1957 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:49 am

Hi there Elcinghio, that's The Belt to the rest of us, no ?
I would agree with most of what has been said here but would add that I personally use a 3/8" drive for the vast majority of work on the Jag, certainly for all hex sizes up to 3/4" as the sockets are slimmer and the tools less cumbersome.
Furthermore I use 1/4" drives and ratchet head for all work on 1/4" and 5/16" bolts, that's 7/16" (very close to 11mm hex) head and 1/2" (approx 13mm hex) head respectively, and would even use a 9/16" socket with 1/4" drives if it existed.
Unless you are dismantling rusty junk, those 1/4 and 3/8 drives are more than adequate and much nicer to work with.
Unless they have stopped recently, even BETA made a very wide range of Inch - Imperial tools so they would be easy to buy in Italy.
And in the USA these sizes are still the norm so can be bought from thousands of outlets - Craftsman is a brand that is one of the easiest to find.
Buy every conceivable shape and type of 1/2" spanner you can find, kinked, open-end, ring, crows-foot, super-thin, 90° head etc etc - at the last count I had twelve different 1/2" spanners, all of which are irreplaceable for certain specific nuts or bolts.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JD-JAG66
Italy

#20 Re: tap and Die

Post by JD-JAG66 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:52 am

Ciao Alessio,

Indeed, as mentioned by Peter - aka Kember17, I live near Turin, so if you want to meet, once the snow is gone, no problem.
To Peter. I am Belgian, not Dutch. A part of us Belgians speak sort of the same language :wink: , but we are definitely a different country 8-). No offence to the Dutch intended :mrgreen: .

Anyway, as far as tools go, I have gone a long way with a ratchet socket and wrench set from FACOM.
You'll see you will do lots with just the 13 mm size, but difficult access to some odd locations on the car might require you to get 2 sizes ratchets.
Do yourself a favour and buy a good brand (snapon - hazet - facom - beta...) because some of the nuts and bolts will be so rusty and stuck that (if you are lucky that they do not break off) you will bend the cheap rubbish. I even broke a stanley wrench
I had bought a tap and die set but in the end (my car was on its wheels last week but I have to take out the differential again) I never had to use it. The secret lies with plenty of penetrating oil sprayed over several days before tempting to undo anything.
Also, i have found that not all the threads on the car were the same.... not kidding :?: .

Adesso ti mando il mio numero di cell in PM, cosi se vuoi approfondire, avere ulteriore consigli etc basta una chiamata.

Buona giornata
Jan
Jan Deurinck
Series 1 - 1966 - 2+2 - LHD - American Import
Si vales, bene est, ego valeo

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic