Stainless removal

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Psych
United States of America

#1 Stainless removal

Post by Psych » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:15 pm

I'm replacing the door weather stripping on a 1968 FHC. I don't know how to remove the stainless strip on the longitudinal that holds the carpet and in place. Also holds the piece of weather strip in place under the door. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Neil

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: Stainless removal

Post by cactusman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:29 pm

If it is the chrome strip along the sill it just clips on. A gentle prize with a screwdriver or preferably a plastic trim removal tool will loosen it. Careful not to bend it. And it is tricky to refit...The trim removal tools are readily available for a few pounds....useful if you plan to leveraging trim and door cards etc....
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Stainless removal

Post by mgcjag » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:39 pm

Hi...welcom to the forum...whats your name.....i assume as Julian above that you are refering to the trim on the sill..quite often if you car has been retrimmed its been put back on with rtv or silicone......you mention carpet...the sills are normaly covered in vinyl.......the trim comes off outwards towards the door it does not hold the rubber strip in place this is just glued in place underneath in the recess..... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Psych
United States of America

#4 Re: Stainless removal

Post by Psych » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:13 am

Thanks for the info. I built a 1965 Daytona Coupe kit from Factory Five Racing and found that at the age of 75 I kept hitting my head on the roll bars whenever I got in or out. I have been building cars for 60 years but never had a XKE. Had the opportunity to trade even up for the 68 FHC and absolutely love it. The interior has been changed and I hope to replace the current one after this summer. The car has been well cared for, but a lot of little things need fixing. Name is Neil and I am a retired Psychologist, hence the handle. We live in Western NY and are currently in the middle of a major snowstorm. Thanks again.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic