LHD RHD and windscreen wiper park position

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Colin Osborne
Great Britain

#1 LHD RHD and windscreen wiper park position

Post by Colin Osborne » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:14 pm

Having studied many adverts for LHD and RHD mainly S3 E-types it dawned on me that the windscreen wipers always park in front of the driver. Obviously this gives a full arc of wipe in front of the driver. This seemed to follow until I noticed an E-type claimed to be original UK RHD but with the wipers parking on the passenger side. Adding to my doubts about the car it appears there are no recorded MOTs before a recent one.
Is there any way a UK RHD car could have this wrong side wiper parking or is there a problem with the sellers description of the cars origin? The lack of MOTs could just have been due to storage.

Colin

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#2 Re: LHD RHD and windscreen wiper park position

Post by angelw » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:12 am

Is there any way a UK RHD car could have this wrong side wiper parking or is there a problem with the sellers description of the cars origin? The lack of MOTs could just have been due to storage.
Hello Colin,
I've seen four, absolutely genuine, Australian delivered S3 cars (RHD) that had LHD configured wipers. This is not the norm and I wouldn't be surprised if it were simply a case of running out of the correct hand wiper arms when the car was cumming down the assembly line. I doubt that something as trivial as the wrong handed wipers would stop the car being shipped back then.

Its a relatively simple task to change the park position of the wipers on an S3.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bob.
Great Britain

#3 Re: LHD RHD and windscreen wiper park position

Post by Bob. » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:04 am

Hi Colin,
Ask for the Car Number (VIN) which will tell you if it was originally RHD or LHD (assuming the fraudsters haven't been there).
2+2 FHC
LHD 1S70001 - 1S75183
RHD 1S50001 - 1S52116
OTS
LHD 1S20001 - 1S26120
RHD 1S1001 - 1S2872
If the car is a manual but the Car No. has suffix BW, it was originally an auto.
If the number shows as a FHC but it is an OTS, it has been converted.

Hope this helps,
Bob
Bob
'71 S3

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: LHD RHD and windscreen wiper park position

Post by mgcjag » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:13 am

Hi Colin.....best advice i can give for your search is post details and photo here of any potential purchase.....dont worry that someone will jump in and buy it....most here have cars and will probably have already seen it....you will get a quick assasment if there is a major problem.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Colin Osborne
Great Britain

#5 Re: LHD RHD and windscreen wiper park position

Post by Colin Osborne » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:13 pm

This is one of the E-Types I spotted which did not appear to have correctly parking wipers. This particular car does seem totally genuine and was apparently a RHD export model for South Africa.

https://www.castleclassiccars.co.uk/sho ... es-3-Coupe

Being an export model it does seem to fit in with angelw's comments and the VIN also fits with Bob's number range. Thanks gents, I came here to learn about E-Types and I certainly am.

Colin

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Colin Osborne
Great Britain

#6 Re: LHD RHD and windscreen wiper park position

Post by Colin Osborne » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:31 pm

Just to completely confuse the issue, here is obviously a genuine LHD US car but with what I had considered RHD wiper parking. Perhaps it was just cars for export that had these anomalies.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C841622

Colin

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#7 Re: LHD RHD and windscreen wiper park position

Post by mgcjag » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:54 pm

Thats interesting...the Primrose car being offered by Northrn Jaguar....they were offering identity and data plate on car and classic a while ago :policeblue: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11210 Great example of asking for buying advice on this forum.... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic