Replacing bonnet support frame

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
zigzagsky
Great Britain

#1 Replacing bonnet support frame

Post by zigzagsky » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:17 pm

Hi all,

So whilst my engine and gearbox are out (following a reverse idler gear failure) I thought I would get on with sorting out the under-bonnet area whilst it is easily accessible.

It looks like a bit of rot has taken hold of the front frame (is this what is often known as the 'picture frame'?) which supports the bonnet and radiator. The area where it has gone is at the front offside where the radiator support is fixed to the bottom rail.

I have 3 questions (well 4 actually)....

Firstly any thoughts on where best to get a new one from? I see that SNG Barratt do them as well as SC Parts and wondered if they are all much of a muchness in terms of fit etc?

Second, when I remove the old one from the main engine frames, do I have to worry about losing alignment of the engine frames since they both bolt to the front oblong section using the same bolts that hold the front frame on and obviously I will need to remove these bolts?

Thirdly, any tips or advice?

Finally, I assume I will also have to realign the bonnet?

Thanks in advance,

Brian
Brian
1969 Primrose yellow Series 2, 2plus2
Boyhood dream fulfilled at last!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: Replacing bonnet support frame

Post by christopher storey » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:39 pm

Barratts should be fine for the frame, although Hutson's are worth speaking to as theirs were the best ones when Uryk made them .( Whether he is still making them I do not know ) . I do not recommend anyone else

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#3 Re: Replacing bonnet support frame

Post by cactusman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:24 pm

Just a thought but what you describe sounds like it might be the frame extension that supports the radiator and onto which the bonnet is fixed. This is not the picture frame which is the substantial frame between the two main side frames that runs across the front of the engine. It is also where parts of the suspension such as the front dampers bolt. If it indeed the picture frame that has rotted you will need to dismantle the front suspension to replace. If it is just the frame extension then all you will need to remove (probably) is the radiator and bonnet. You will doubtless have to do some adjustments when you refit the bonnet so have some shims to hand..
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
zigzagsky
Great Britain

#4 Re: Replacing bonnet support frame

Post by zigzagsky » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:26 pm

From what you describe, yes it is just the frame extension and not the picture frame - thanks for putting me straight on that. The picture frame (and the two main front frames) seem to be pretty solid with only a couple of small patches of surface rust where the paint has been chipped in the past.

So it sounds like getting the frame from SNG Barratt will be ok but that I should also order up some bonnet shims.

The good news is that I already have removed the bonnet and radiator during the removal process for the engine and gearbox.

Thanks for the help gents.
Brian
1969 Primrose yellow Series 2, 2plus2
Boyhood dream fulfilled at last!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

E600
Great Britain

#5 Re: Replacing bonnet support frame

Post by E600 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:54 am

Do Barrats make frames? I thought they supplied Robey frames same as most vendors. That being the case go to the source..............Robey

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic