3.8 castor & camber settings

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#1 3.8 castor & camber settings

Post by rswaffie » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:08 am

Hi,
I was hoping someone could help me out with this query. I have set up the original torsion bars with the setting links as per the manual. The only difference being I have the adjustable reaction plate, I didn’t have any issues with this. I won’t know if the car sits correctly at the front until the engine/gbox is back in and there is some weight at the front.
My question is regarding the castor/camber set up. If I remove the torsion setup links, to put in the (shorter) camber links, I can’t get them to reach the damper fixing points due to the torsion in the bars. I have loosened all the suspension nuts as directed in the manual. I’ve tried jacking and ratchet straps but they just won’t reach. I’m assuming that these settings should be made either before setting the torsion bars, or as I did in the end, slackened off the ear bolts and concentric adjuster wheel?
Or am I missing something?

Cheers
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: 3.8 castor & camber settings

Post by mgcjag » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:45 am

Hi Richard....you need your engine, gearbox, bonnet coolant and 1/2 tank of fuel before trying to set up your suspension.....ride height, castor, camber, tracking....and adjusting any one may affect the other..assuming the rear ride height and camber is done...So set you tyre pressures then ride height, then you tracking....then camber and castor..... it dosent have to be done in this order but its a reasonable starting point.. Steve

Edit..a good starting point is to have equal camber shims in the upper front withbones..and approx 1/2in of thread showing on the front upper wishbone shaft (castor adjuster)
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#3 Re: 3.8 castor & camber settings

Post by rswaffie » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:05 am

Thanks Steve. I thought the setting links were used to set the suspension based on the ‘mid-laden’ point, negating the need for engine/gearbox/fuel in tank etc to be in place ?
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: 3.8 castor & camber settings

Post by mgcjag » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:23 pm

Hi Richard....you can set your torsion bar without engine etc useing the setting link but you will never know if your ride height is correct till you have it fully loaded and on the ground.....you cant set up the camber, castor, tracking till you have weight on the car to compress tires the setting links just compress suspension to simulate mid laden position....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#5 Re: 3.8 castor & camber settings

Post by rswaffie » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:24 pm

Thanks Steve, that clears that up perfectly. I’ll revisit the castor/camber once everything is reassembled.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

64etype
United States of America

#6 Re: 3.8 castor & camber settings

Post by 64etype » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:28 pm

With engine/transmission installed, but bonnet off I still had some difficult installing the shocks. Be sure to roll the car back and forth a few times to allow the tires to seek their "normal" track (eliminate camber jacking). And if the bonnet is off, ask a heavy weight friend to sit on the engine.
Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#7 Re: 3.8 castor & camber settings

Post by mgcjag » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:58 pm

With the engine in and no bonnet just jack under the lower wishbone to compress the suspension and install the shocks... Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#8 Re: 3.8 castor & camber settings

Post by rswaffie » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:24 pm

Thanks gents, advice gratefully received.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

64etype
United States of America

#9 Re: 3.8 castor & camber settings

Post by 64etype » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:38 pm

mgcjag wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:58 pm
With the engine in and no bonnet just jack under the lower wishbone to compress the suspension and install the shocks... Steve
I tried that and still had to add weight to get the suspension to compress enough to get the bolts in.
Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#10 Re: 3.8 castor & camber settings

Post by Series1 Stu » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:40 pm

But surely you're going to have to take it all apart again to install your engine and gearbox, so why bother getting into the detail of castor and camber settings at this stage?
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#11 Re: 3.8 castor & camber settings

Post by rswaffie » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:52 pm

I don’t think I’ll need to take all the suspension apart to fit the engine, probably just drop the reaction plate?
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic