Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
kgb123
Wales

#1 Question about mounting the sills

Post by kgb123 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:56 pm

Hi,

Regarding fitting new sills to my 2+2.

The sills that I have from Martin Robey seem to "flair out" (for want of a better description) at the front. Is this a correct configuration. The existing sills (which were welded in by an agricultural engineer!) appear to be squared up to the sill line, but the "flair out" was minimised by the way the sill was attached on the under side. I had something of a slight overhang where the bonnet meets the sill.

My assumption is my originals were fitted incorrectly and that the new sills should be fitted with the slight flare towards the front end...Am I right?

Kevin
1968 Series 1.5 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: Question about mounting the sills

Post by christopher storey » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:34 pm

Kevin : from what I remember of it, you are correct : the sills are slightly wider at the front than at the rear . I suggest in any event that you only tack weld ( or even self-tap screw ) them in place until you can trial fit the bonnet as well to see how they all line up together ; this makes it much easier to reposition them if the fit is not good

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
kgb123
Wales

#3 Re: Question about mounting the sills

Post by kgb123 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:03 am

Thank You Chris, its the common sense approach that's often over looked in the haze of trying to work out whats going on :)
Kevin
1968 Series 1.5 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paulsco
Great Britain

#4 Re: Question about mounting the sills

Post by paulsco » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:18 pm

Kevin,

I am not quite sure I understand your question, but the car is wider at the front, i.e. it tapers towards the rear.

However if you are talking about whether the sill line is straight along the side of the car or bananas out at the front then no, it is straight all along.
The sills when purchased usually do not have enough curve top to bottom and there is a tenancy for the front to flare out, because the top to bottom curve under the front wing is not supported all the way along, so this may need to be addressed while fitting.

I have seen lots of cars where the front of the sills flare out slightly at an angle to the wing.

Paul
65 Series 1 FHC, 68 Jaguar 340

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic