Blasting media

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Geoff Allam
Canada

#1 Blasting media

Post by Geoff Allam » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:15 am

I am a new member to the forum and cannot find a definitive answer about blasting media in the archives. My ots is mounted on a rotisserie with the box sections opened up in preparation for a trip to be blasted to bare metal. As I am not a big fan of warped body panels I am wondering if anyone has experience with a type of blasting media that worked well to remove all paint and filler without damaging the sheet metal.
Geoff Allam
67 series1 ots under restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Kember17
Great Britain

#2 Re: Blasting media

Post by Kember17 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:32 am

My shell including bonnet was soda blasted very effectively without any ill effect that I can discern.

I've heard good things about ice blasting from friends, too, but have not used it or seen the results myself.

Peter
Peter

1966 LHD US Import Series 1 2+2 (undergoing full restoration)
1991 LHD Alfa Spider Series 4
2015 Porsche Panamera S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#3 Re: Blasting media

Post by Simonpfhc » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:35 am

Hi Geoff,

You will get many replies with many different types of media, most of which will be able to do a good job. Exept maybe removing filler, nothing much seems to budge that stuff! However, it is much more important to find a very experienced operator who knows thier way around an etype.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkRado
Austria

#4 Re: Blasting media

Post by MarkRado » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:19 am

Hi Geoff,

I have used several media:

corundum ("sand")/ different grades: for chassis, underside and suspension parts; creates a coarse surface
very effective for removing heavy rust and almost anything else; the paintshop does not like it, because it is difficult to remove (air gun) from all the cavities
When used with high pressure and big guns (eg for lorries), it can dent door skins.
I used it succsessfully on Healey, Rover and MGB chassis though

bead: for alu and soft metals; again very effective, less problems for the paintshop but much more expensive

soda: for cyl head; does not remove rust or good quality 2pack paint, but almost completely harmless (you can blast the head with the valves in situ)

dry ice (CO2): for underseal, stoneguard ; evaporates during blasting, so no residue (except underseal); does not remove rust or paint; good for removing underseal and cleaning purposes

There is not enough room to go into detail, pm me if I can be of further help.

PS: I never used blasting media on external panels but sanded them by hand with help of an orbital sander

Hope this helps
Mark
Mark
1963 OTS 880436

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Geoff Allam
Canada

#5 Re: Blasting media

Post by Geoff Allam » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:44 pm

Thanks to all for replies. Has anyone had experience with plastic media blasting?
Geoff Allam
67 series1 ots under restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic