Gauge of the red/yellow cable?

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
rdh6642
Canada

#1 Gauge of the red/yellow cable?

Post by rdh6642 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:21 pm

The car is currently in storage 100 miles away, and I'm hoping to confirm the gauge of the red/yellow cable intended for fog lamps. Red cloth braid with yellow tracer which I think is 28/0.3 BWG or 14 AWG with 17.5 amp capacity. Plan to use it for a feed from ammeter through bonnet plug to headlight relays mounted on the diaphragm beside the connector block. Taking a period approach including correct wire colours and God forbid Lucas relays. May upgrade to halogens but main intent is to reduce load through light switch.

Any help appreciated.

Bob Hodgins
66 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Gauge of the red/yellow cable?

Post by Heuer » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:51 pm

Fog lamp cable is rated at 17.5 amps. Everything else you need to know is here including wiring diagrams: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4919
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rdh6642
Canada

#3 Re: Gauge of the red/yellow cable?

Post by rdh6642 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:05 pm

David,

Thanks for confirming, and it was your original post that got me interested in the upgrade. I know others have run direct connections to relays in the engine compartment or cabin, but using the factory spare in the harness will conceal everything at the expense of making it complicated to service. Two fused circuits as recommended so I can at least drive home to replace relays.

Off to Autosparks for the cable....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic