2+2 handbrake cable C30221 length

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
JD-JAG66
Italy

#1 2+2 handbrake cable C30221 length

Post by JD-JAG66 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:26 pm

Can anybody confirm the length of a 2+2 handbrake cable which, when fitted, allows adjustment via its “cable length compensator”?
Am asking since I couldn't get my handbrake to do its job....joy.

When pulling the handbrake, the right side brake lever moves so that the new pads touch the disc but the left brake lever barely moves with the brake pads not touching the disc.

I tried adjusting the cable’s length by its compensator, but it popped out of the threaded attachment block on the compensator mechanism since it was already winded out to the max.
I screwed it back in, as little as possible, and tried with adjusting the right handbrake lever, but to no avail.

To my great surprise, when I asked SNG to confirm the length of a 2+2 handbrake cable C30221 they replied that end to end it is 770mm (roughly 30”) which is probably even longer then the cable on my car, see picture.

So fitting a new cable would put me back to square 1 = max adjustment setting.

Which brought me to consider finding a company locally that can shorten my cable by about 2inches/5cm (= +/-the length of the cable compensator), so that it can be screwed in completely in the threaded attachment block on the compensator mechanism, but if there is a more accurate length to be cut, I would love to hear from it.

Regardless of cable length, I should point out that when fully pulled, the clevis fork is kind of “blocked” between the compensator mechanism lever arms, effectively making it impossible to pull the handbrake any harder. But then again, the handbrake lever in the car is pointing skywards at almost 90° by that time.

From browsing the forum, it seems that a good mod would be to cut the compensator arm and weld a tube on the mechanism, but I will wait with crawling under the car again and start that process until I have exhausted any other solutions.

Cheers
Jan
Jan Deurinck
Series 1 - 1966 - 2+2 - LHD - American Import
Si vales, bene est, ego valeo

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mister mitch
United States of America

#2 Re: 2+2 handbrake cable C30221 length

Post by mister mitch » Thu May 03, 2018 2:22 am

Jan,
29 inches....the cable from center of terminal pin to center of terminal pin...
Of course the 2+2 has a different emergency brake actuator in the cockpit...
Mitch

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JD-JAG66
Italy

#3 Re: 2+2 handbrake cable C30221 length

Post by JD-JAG66 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:30 am

Thanks, Mine has reached 30 inches when laid out as straight as possible, so will cut it down to 29.

Have a great day
Jan
Jan Deurinck
Series 1 - 1966 - 2+2 - LHD - American Import
Si vales, bene est, ego valeo

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic