Does the paper oil filter actually work?

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
johnetype
Great Britain

#1 Does the paper oil filter actually work?

Post by johnetype » Mon May 07, 2018 8:06 am

The paper oil filter supplied by the usual's (JLM9544) has an internal diameter of 1 5/16" but the nose in the oil filter head on a Series 2 car is only 1 1/8" in diameter. As a consequence there is a gap for unfiltered oil to escape through. The paper washer on the end of the filter would seal the gap if it had a concentric surface in the oil filter head to seat on but it hasn't so the oil can just pass by.

The question was raised in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6122&p=79526&hilit= ... ent#p79526 but never answered.

To make matters worse, the pressure plate fitted at the other end of the filter also has it's raised area with a diameter of 1 1/8" so thanks to gravity the oil filter element sits offset on that plate too.

Originally a felt filter element would have been used. Is this an unintended consequence of changing to a paper element? I've searched but can find no reference to the problem other than the one above but I can't imagine it's gone unnoticed all these years so what have I missed?
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#2 Re: Does the paper oil filter actually work?

Post by Tom W » Mon May 07, 2018 8:15 am

Are you missing a part? I’m sure there’s a disc mounted to the oil filter housing that’s concentric with the stub the filter passes over. The washer on the end face of the oil filter seals against this. There’s a pic of it on Barratt’s explodes diagram for the S2 filter (up to engine 7r2297)

https://www.sngbarratt.com/uk/#!/Englis ... %207R.2297
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
johnetype
Great Britain

#3 Re: Does the paper oil filter actually work?

Post by johnetype » Mon May 07, 2018 11:45 am

That's true for engines up to 7R2298 but for engines after 7R2298 that part is no longer fitted and the housing doesn't have the screw in nose to retain it.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Does the paper oil filter actually work?

Post by mgcjag » Mon May 07, 2018 1:36 pm

Hi John....do you have a photo of the head where the filter fits onto..i have found this coolcat filter head identifier but on the one on the right not sure what the beige colour disc is ..Steve

http://www.coolcatcorp.com/FilterHeads/FilterHeads.html
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
johnetype
Great Britain

#5 Re: Does the paper oil filter actually work?

Post by johnetype » Mon May 07, 2018 1:52 pm

Steve, here is a photo of the oil filter head on my engine which I think you'll find is the same as the one in the photo I linked to in my first post.

John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#6 Re: Does the paper oil filter actually work?

Post by mgcjag » Mon May 07, 2018 4:32 pm

Hi John...although not an E type this is the head iv just taken off a 1971 xj6 (4.2xk engine) the head has the round seating disc although not a loose part...if you zoom in you can see its been peened over in several places ot hold in place....are there any peen marks on your center to show that one might have been on there...for some reason i cant select a photo on my tablet so will pos as soon as.....however have a look for the tiny square shaped peen marks.......Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#7 Re: Does the paper oil filter actually work?

Post by mgcjag » Mon May 07, 2018 4:34 pm

Hi John...although not an E type this is the head iv just taken off a 1971 xj6 (4.2xk engine) the head has the round seating disc although not a loose part...if you zoom in you can see its been peened over in several places to hold in place the round disc..are there any peen marks on your center to show that one might have been on there...for some reason i cant select a photo on my tablet so will pos as soon as.....however have a look for the tiny square shaped peen marks.......Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
johnetype
Great Britain

#8 Re: Does the paper oil filter actually work?

Post by johnetype » Mon May 07, 2018 4:57 pm

Steve,

There are certainly some marks, they don't look like peen marks but something's been going on.

Hopefully some more folks with Series 2s will recall what's at the end of their filters. A search of Google images didn't help but did lead to this thread: viewtopic.php?t=476&sid=81e8c2789353106 ... 8bacd144bc

Post no.5 has a similar picture that has no plate but it does look as though the nose has an o ring or packing piece on it.

And this image from Rob Beere's site has a plate on it: http://www.rob-beere-racing.co.uk/pictu ... non003.jpg
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#9 Re: Does the paper oil filter actually work?

Post by mgcjag » Mon May 07, 2018 5:30 pm

Hi John...the Rob Beere photo far right is the same as i was trying to post.you can see the peen marks holding the disc on...the photo on post 5 you refer to the disc has been removed to fit the spin on convesion.... Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

RogerM
Great Britain

#10 Re: Does the paper oil filter actually work?

Post by RogerM » Tue May 08, 2018 3:10 pm

Hi John,

I have just refitted mine having changed the pressure relief valve. Wish I had taken a photo!

My engine is 7R53059 and there is a disc that is peaned onto the central sleeve. The seal on the end of the filter seats onto this.

Roger
Roger McEwen
S2 FHC Green
Triumph TR6 Mimosa

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#11 Re: Does the paper oil filter actually work?

Post by Tom W » Tue May 08, 2018 6:39 pm

Mine looks like that, but there’s also a loose disc that can be removed from the filter housing. I don’t know if it was ever peened on, but it’s loose now. The filter/spring assembly keeps it in place when everything’s assembled.
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
johnetype
Great Britain

#12 Re: Does the paper oil filter actually work?

Post by johnetype » Sun May 13, 2018 9:11 am

Thanks for everyone's comments. So the conclusion is that it's vital to have the circular disc in place over the nose of the oil filter head. The oil filter will fit, but it won't filter effectively without that disc.

Given the number of photos showing that disc missing and like my car, it would be worth all Series 2 owners checking that disc is in place the next time they change their oil filter.

For me, I need to find one of those discs or fit another oil filter head that has the disc in place.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#13 Re: Does the paper oil filter actually work?

Post by mgcjag » Sun May 13, 2018 9:42 am

Hi John...you could make one....its just a round disc....this is from a 71 XJ6....you just need to confirm dimensions.....0.035 thick.....

Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
johnetype
Great Britain

#14 Re: Does the paper oil filter actually work?

Post by johnetype » Sun May 13, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi Steve, yes I had thought of doing that. I know the inside diameter, the thickness isn't critical as the spring at the far ends takes up the slack and the outer diameter just has to be large enough to allow the paper gasket on the end of the oil filter to seat.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic