New fuel pump- quick question.

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#1 New fuel pump- quick question.

Post by rswaffie » Tue May 22, 2018 1:28 pm

Hi,
I’ve got the sngb submersible fuel pump and fuel level sender unit and as part of testing the electrics I hooked them up to the rear loom. Fuel sender (3 wires) connected and tested ok 👍
Connected up the pump (two wires) and briefly switched on ignition (pump should’nt be run ‘dry’). Whilst it worked, the ignition, dash, warning, indicator and choke lights stopped working. Switched wires round, still no lights. It may have stopped other components work in as well.
Does the pump need to be fitted into the fuel tank for earthing purposes?
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: New fuel pump- quick question.

Post by Heuer » Tue May 22, 2018 2:10 pm

No need for it to be earthed - just two wires +ve (black) and +ve (white purple). It has a dedicated fuse (F4). Are you sure you did not connect it to the white/green wire (fuel level warning light) which goes to fuse F7. If that blew it would take a few other items with it. Green/black wire feeds the fuel gauge via F7.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#3 Re: New fuel pump- quick question.

Post by rswaffie » Tue May 22, 2018 8:35 pm

Thanks David.
Checked the fuses and all ok. The wires are correct - the white/purple and black and I tried them the other way round to the pump (just in case) but as soon as I reconnect them, the lights etc stop working. Disconnect it - lights etc ok. I’ve made sure the earth point in the boot is clean & tight. I’ll get the multimeter out to see if it points me to the answer.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic