HELP: Rear diff oil leak

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
ENX
Great Britain

#1 HELP: Rear diff oil leak

Post by ENX » Sat May 26, 2018 2:49 pm

Just took my car out of the garage to find a pool of oil under the rear axle. For the past year it has been dripping slightly but not too much - today is a much larger pool. I can't see exactly where the leak is originating.

Obviously, it needs to be fixed but my question is - is the car safe to drive or will I do damage?
BRG S1 4.2 OTS
Howard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: HELP: Rear diff oil leak

Post by cactusman » Sat May 26, 2018 3:12 pm

It will probably either be the differential input shaft oil seal or one of the output shaft seals that has let go...unless the cover gasket has leaked which h is unlikely. If its the input shaft seal it could be driven a short distance so long as you top it up...although it will make a message e may contaminate the brakes. If it is an output shaft oil seal the brake disc will also be awash with oil and you will have no brake on that side...I'd not drive it. Sadly if it is one of said seals the IRS has to come out to change them...bugger...
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ENX
Great Britain

#3 Re: HELP: Rear diff oil leak

Post by ENX » Sat May 26, 2018 6:10 pm

As I suspected, just when the weather has turned and it's a Bank holiday. I've not had much luck finding a decent garage in NW London - any suggestions?
BRG S1 4.2 OTS
Howard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#4 Re: HELP: Rear diff oil leak

Post by Heuer » Sat May 26, 2018 8:44 pm

Moss Jaguar in Letchworth
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ENX
Great Britain

#5 Re: HELP: Rear diff oil leak

Post by ENX » Sat May 26, 2018 9:12 pm

Thanks David
BRG S1 4.2 OTS
Howard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

44DHR
Great Britain

#6 Re: HELP: Rear diff oil leak

Post by 44DHR » Sun May 27, 2018 11:03 am

Howard,
Just be aware that even if the Diff Output shaft oil seal is leaking, it might not necessarily make the brake disc have any oil on it, so don’t dismiss this as the source of your leak, just because the brake discs are free of oil.
The Output shaft bearing housing as an escape port cast into it which is extremely difficult to see with the differential in the car. Please see previous topic which shows in my photos where the port is located :-
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11066&p=89942#p89942

In this instance, the escaping oil just trickles out of the escape port and down the diff casing to drip onto the cage lower tie plate before dropping onto the floor.
Regards,
Dave
Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#7 Re: HELP: Rear diff oil leak

Post by chrisfell » Sun May 27, 2018 12:07 pm

I lived with dripping seals for a few years. The seals had been dry and had become brittle while the car was acquiring its barn find dust. Oil used to contaminate the rear discs. Each MOT I had to clean the oil from the pumpkin and the rotors and hope that the leak would not become obvious during the ten mile drive to the MOT.

Eventually I got fed up with topping the diff up every few hundred miles and took the rear cage out, only to find a catalog of horrors elsewhere in the car’s rear end (a broken shock, pivot bearings worn through their carriers, cage mounts incorrectly installed, clevis pin missing from handbrake....).

New seals all round the diff stopped the leak from contaminating the discs. It still leaks but not so much that I worry about topping up the diff during the summer season. Winter topping up is usually just a dribble of oil.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ENX
Great Britain

#8 Re: HELP: Rear diff oil leak

Post by ENX » Sun May 27, 2018 4:48 pm

Everyone

Thanks for the useful advice. On balance I think I will get a professional to look at it before I do some damage! Fiddling with the differential is above my pay grade but within my capacity to break.
BRG S1 4.2 OTS
Howard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic