Wiper mechanism stopped working.

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#1 Wiper mechanism stopped working.

Post by rswaffie » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:11 pm

Hi, hoping someone can provide some assistance.
I’m getting to the end of the wiring part of my rebuild.
Everything has until now been tested and working ok, including lights, indicators, heater motor, washer motor and the wipers (both speeds). That was until today when I did some final tests after wiring up the fuel sender.
Basically, When I flicked the wiper switch, there was a slight movement from the linkage then nothing.
Following the service manual test process, the wiper linkage moved to the right (looking from inside the car) then stopped at the top of its travel. I disconnected the ball joint from the linkage and tested the motor again, this time the motor worked normally at slow speed, but nothing at fast. As soon as I reconnected the linkage, it again only travelled to the right and then stopped again.
Any ideas?
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#2 Re: Wiper mechanism stopped working.

Post by rswaffie » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:26 pm

A bit more information:
I have connected all the wiring back up to the connector block.
Checked the linkage and it runs smoothly.
Tried the motor and it runs on slow but not fast.
Connected motor arm to linkage and tried again. The arm needed a bit of a nudge and it operated.
Switched off but no self park.
Switched on again but needed another nudge.
Also noticed that if I gave the park switch a nudge, it seems to knock the low fuel lamp out, along with the map light?
The red/green is connected and there is an earth from the right side of the linkage to the bulkhead behind the steering column.
Any thoughts?
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#3 Re: Wiper mechanism stopped working.

Post by cactusman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:25 pm

The wiper and the low Fulbright are both diced from fuse 7. The map light is fed from fuse 8. Fuse 7 is only powered when the ignition is on while fuse 8 is always powered so it is hard to imagine why there should be interaction between the wipers and map light.

If the low fuel light stops working when the wipers are running it may be that the fuse connections are poor or the fuse itself is faulty. Proper quality glass fuses have the wire welded to each end cap. Cheapo Chinese ones have the fuse wire slid into the glass tube and the ends folded over before the caps are pressed on. Corrosion can happen and mean the press fit caps make poor connection to the wire. One way to tell is to look at the wire in the glass. If it runs along the tube parallel with the sides chances are it is a welded one. If it runs diagonally from one end to the other chances are it is a cheapo one.

Failing this I would suspect a wiring error or a poor ground somewhere..
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#4 Re: Wiper mechanism stopped working.

Post by rswaffie » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:03 pm

Thanks for the thoughts. I’m going to check the two earth connections continuity although they have not been changed since the wipers were working after they were installed. I’ve got an ignition relay installed and this clicks when the park switch is nudged - similarly, as soon as I connect the power to the battery cables, the ignition light comes on, but goes off when I turn the ignition key to on!
I’m inclined to agree with you that this is a bad earth or a cabling issue, possibly to do with the ignition relay install (part of a powerlite dynator and dummy rb340 upgrade).
It also seems like there is not enough power getting to the wiper motor anymore as it needs a nudge to get it to work.
Very frustrating!
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic