Earth connections - where do they terminate?

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#1 Earth connections - where do they terminate?

Post by rswaffie » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:36 am

Hi,
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
The engine bay loom spur going to the washer pump motor is connected and working. Just before the 3 spade end connectors for the pump motor is a spur with two black wires terminating with a female spade.

One or both ping through to the black wire at the washer pump motor. Where does this spur connect to? I don’t seem to have any male spade connectors fixed to the body in the vicinity of the washer bottle - do in need to screw/bolt something in place?
Tia
Richard

Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#2 Re: Earth connections - where do they terminate?

Post by johnetype » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:04 pm

The spur you're holding needs to connect to earth via the bodyshell.

On my Series 2 original wiring loom the lucar you're holding in your hand is a ring terminal which is attached to one of the bolts holding the washer bottle bracket to the bulkhead.

If you could get a ring terminal to male lucar (on my car one is used on the fuel gauge) then you could make it work that way without attacking your wiring loom and replacing the lucar in your hand with a ring terminal which is the other option.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#3 Re: Earth connections - where do they terminate?

Post by rswaffie » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:26 pm

Great, thanks John. I’ll see what I’ve got lying around that may do the job. Seems odd that Autosparks terminated it that way. I’ve still got the old loom, albeit for a lhd, I’ll see how that one was done.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#4 Re: Earth connections - where do they terminate?

Post by cactusman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:36 am

Think you will find there should be a spade terminal on one of the bolts that hold the heater tap (if memory serves) . Your ground terminal pops on there...
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#5 Re: Earth connections - where do they terminate?

Post by christopher storey » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:09 am

+1 for Julian ( Cactusman )

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Turnip
Great Britain

#6 Re: Earth connections - where do they terminate?

Post by Turnip » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:36 am

I had this dilemma on mine as well, although as it's a 4.2 S1 it might be wired differently.
If you put a test meter on that terminal, I think you will find one of the 2 wires terminates at the brake fluid bottle branch. The other wire, if my recollection is right, ends up as a ring terminal that connects to the chassis earth bolt, below the heater. Unfortunately I can't check that now without removing a lot of stuff.

As the others have suggested I ended up connecting it to a spade connector I put on the bulkhead, on the basis you can't have too many earths. However, it doesn't seem logical to have a wire connecting the earthing bolt to another point on the bulkhead, so it really looks like it should be earthing some thing. There are only two candidates in that area and they already have earth wires. Maybe the heater box? It doesn't really have any obvious earthing points.

All my electrics work with that connector on earth though, so I'm not too worried (yet).

Simon
1965 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#7 Re: Earth connections - where do they terminate?

Post by cactusman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Peered at mine. There is a Lucas blade terminal on the small bolt that secures the operating cable clamp to the cable on the heater valve. It has a pair of black ground wires running into the loom that feeds the washer bottle.... :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#8 Re: Earth connections - where do they terminate?

Post by rswaffie » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:45 pm

Excellent, as ever chaps - another problem solved through this invaluable resource. :yellow:
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic