Loose tappet guide

Technical advice Q&A

christopher storey
Great Britain

#21 Re: Loose tappet guide

Post by christopher storey » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:57 am

rfs1957 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:23 pm

Somebody supplied me super thin Cu washers for this which had the added advantage of giving another half a turn of thread of bolt in the head, and I think I read that you can get longer bolts for these fittings as short ones can quickly strip.
Yes indeed - longer ones were commissioned by the JEC and AFAIK should still be available from them. Because they engage in an otherwise unused part of the female thread, even if the nearer part is stripped, they should still provide sufficient clamping force and thus avoid a helicoil

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#22 Re: Loose tappet guide

Post by Tom W » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:56 pm

I bought one of the longer bolts, as one of the threads in my head is a bit dodgy. I forget where I bought it from. When compared to the originals, the holes for the oil feed were a slightly different distance from the head of the bolt. They’re closer to the cylinder head. I noticed this when upgrading to Rob Beere’s braided oil feed line. I wasn’t sure the oil feed holes would line up with the oil gallery in the banjo fitting, so reverted to the original bolt and went carefully with the thread.
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#23 Re: Loose tappet guide

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:10 pm

Hi Rory

Yes I'd suspected the mating faces were the problem, hence the reason for using an oil stone on the back of the cam housing.
I've stopped the leak on the exhaust side but the inlet side has so far resisted all my attempts.
Hopefully I'll never have to take the head off but who knows?

Did you see my final post on the disguised battery? I'm now going to build another one for the GT6. I've discovered that my old E-Type battery fits despite being larger than the Triumph's.
The Triumph's battery has gone the same way as the E-Type's.
No more vintage batteries for me I'm afraid. As far as I'm concerned they're just money down the drain.

Cheers

Alan
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic